Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2009, 04:01 PM

18 posts, read 37,661 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are searching for our first home. We are currently looking in the Massapequa/Farmingdale/Bethpage area. Does anyone know about the catholic schools in the area? Any other information about the area would be helpful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2009, 05:56 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,672,241 times
Default Understanding the geography of "Lawn Guyland"

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmm238 View Post
My husband and I are searching for our first home. We are currently looking in the Massapequa/Farmingdale/Bethpage area. Does anyone know about the catholic schools in the area? Any other information about the area would be helpful.
I can't offer any guidance on Catholic schools in the area, but I can provide some "other information" about the area:

First, bmm238, in case you are unfamiliar with the local geography:

What people refer to colloquially as "towns" are actually villages and hamlets, which are within actual towns; and, because villages and hamlets are referred to as "towns", then, many times, the error is compounded when actual towns are referred to as "townships".

Also, many colloquially refer to a "downtown business district" in a hamlet as a "village".

//www.city-data.com/forum/new-y...-glossary.html and //www.city-data.com/forum/long-...-resource.html may be of some help to you in understanding the geography of "Lawn Guyland".

Second, bmm238, all 3 ZIP Code postal zones, especially "Massapequa, NY 11758" (5,128 acres) and "Farmingdale, NY 11735" (2,708 acres*) are much larger than the community whose name they share (the Hamlet of Massapequa and the Village of Farmingdale are 2,345 acres and 696 acres, respectively), and include several other communities within their respective postal zones.

* This is the portion in Nassau County only; the majority of the area of the "Farmingdale, NY 11735" postal zone is in the Town of Babylon, Suffolk County.

< > places that have a "Massapequa, NY 11758" mailing address that are not in the Hamlet of Massapequa are in the Hamlet of East Massapequa, the Hamlet of North Massapequa and the Hamlet of Plainedge.

< > places that have a "Farmingdale, NY 11735" address that are not in the Village of Farmingdale are in the Hamlet of South Farmingdale and the Hamlet of Plainedge, as well as in the Hamlet of Old Bethpage in the Town of Oyster Bay, Nassau County and also in the Hamlet of East Farmingdale in the Town of Babylon, Suffolk County.

< > places with a "Bethpage, NY 11714" mailing address that are not in the Hamlet of Bethpage are in the Hamlet of Plainedge in the Town of Oyster Bay and the Hamlet of Levittown in the Town of Hempstead; and, at the same time, there are places in the Hamlet of Bethpage that have a "Hicksville, NY 11801" and "Plainview, NY 11803" mailing address.

//www.city-data.com/forum/long-...you-think.html may help you understand the great geographic confusions caused by non-conforming ZIP Code postal zones.

Old 02-17-2009, 07:31 PM

4,502 posts, read 13,466,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmm238 View Post

There is really nothing wrong with the public schools in any of these areas. You can save yourself a fortune (at least 6K/yr) by sending your child to public school and get him/her a much better education (catholic schools aren't anything like they used to be)

Old 02-18-2009, 04:47 AM

1,056 posts, read 2,139,545 times
st rose of lima is a good school located in massapequa on merrick road. another school, which I attended as a massapequa child, is st williams the abbot located in seaford.

lol @ walter.....ya mean there was something you couldnt help with?

Old 02-18-2009, 02:29 PM

3,180 posts, read 10,538,613 times
My close friend sends his 2 girls to St Rose of Lima and is very happy with the school. Its one of the larger schools in the system.

Old 02-18-2009, 07:46 PM

20 posts, read 98,504 times
Here are all the Catholic Schools in the Massapequa/Farmingdale/Bethpage communities:

Our Lady of Lourdes (Massapequa)
St. John the Baptist DE Regional Catholic Elementary (Farmingdale)
St. Rose of Lima (Massapequa)

Old 02-20-2009, 03:05 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,672,241 times
< > Our Lady of Lourdes is in the Hamlet of East Massapequa ("Massapequa, NY 11758" mailing address).

< > St. John the Baptist De LaSalle Regional Catholic Elementary is in the Village of Farmingdale.

< > St. Rose of Lima is in the Hamlet of Massapequa.

Old 03-10-2009, 05:49 AM

3 posts, read 8,654 times
I live in Massapequa, but we are within the borders of St. William the Abbott Parish in Seaford. All of my four children attended and I would recommend the school yo anyone.

Old 06-14-2009, 05:38 PM

136 posts, read 492,460 times
Our Lady of Lourdes - Massapequa Pk/East Massapequa
St Rose of Lima - Massapequa
St Martin of Tours - Amityville
St William the Abbott -Seaford

Old 06-15-2009, 04:23 AM

659 posts, read 2,516,216 times
good luck. You can't go wrong with a catholic school education.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island