Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2009, 04:49 PM

518 posts, read 1,820,122 times

Advertisements

yea i had one... i got surprised when my payment was shown to me about $100 a month more than i was figuring on.. so we looked closer, and it was the taxes making the difference. wound up that throughout the whole process, nobody ever actually checked what the actual taxes without star were, and guess what? the amount we had been using from the listing, was WITH star. so now im stuck paying an extra $90-100 a month more till next year, and then it will still be more since i wont be taking the discount on top of what we had originally planned.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2009, 07:28 AM

2,666 posts, read 7,333,131 times
Another thing that I wanted to ask is how willing are the banks to give loan to people who are not permanent residents of USA.
I have been here pretty long but I'm on a visa, do you think I'll have a problem getting loans approved by the bank ?

Old 02-24-2009, 09:05 AM

3,351 posts, read 9,756,049 times
There are loans available for non-permant residents, but they have some special requirements. You need to discuss this with your mortgage broker.

Old 02-25-2009, 07:31 AM

294 posts, read 878,831 times
Hi- there should be NO surprises the day of closing. You should know the day before how much to bring/ check amounts, etc..... they may tell you to bring your checkbook, but most of my clients end up walking away with a check of some kind (a few hundred dollars) only because my mortgage person always over-estimates the day before.

Mortgages are tougher to get and your good credit score is very helpful. I have clients who are 1st timers, have good credit (not always great credit), have some money, but not a ton of it, and are buying homes appraising just at purchase amounts. It can be close, that's for sure.

Appraisals are key as well. If the home isn't appraising well, the bank won't give a commitment. Without a commitment, deal is dead. After an appraisal is when I exhale. Then again after the closing. In between, I don't breathe!!!

Old 02-25-2009, 07:51 AM

2,666 posts, read 7,333,131 times
Thanks Homefinder and Tom....
That gives me some confidence. I have heard from a lot of people that the credit markets are frozen and no one is granting loans right now unless you can put a 20% down. Thanks for your help.

Old 02-25-2009, 05:59 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,140,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zulu400 View Post
Thanks Homefinder and Tom....
That gives me some confidence. I have heard from a lot of people that the credit markets are frozen and no one is granting loans right now unless you can put a 20% down. Thanks for your help.
There are FHA loans available where 3.5% down is sufficient (of course you still have to qualify with regard to income). FHA loans have better FICO score requirements - 580 is acceptable, 620+ gives you the best rate - and what could be really great down the road: FHA loans are assumable! With current low interest rates, that could be a huge advantage down the road if you decide to sell!
If you're a Vet (served 90 days during war time), you are eligible for a zero % down payment loan; they'll even waive the PMI costs and that helps tremendously!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island