Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-09-2009, 10:02 AM

294 posts, read 879,137 times

Advertisements

So, in addition to the $100 I just paid for the Commuter Tax (I am an independent contractor/self employed) I also received this email from my Asemblyman: (Thank you Gov. Paterson!)

As you are probably aware, fees for drivers licenses and registration renewals were increased in the 2009-2001 Budget. Also included in this budget, vehicle owners re-registering after April 1, 2010, will be forced to pay a $25 dollar fee for mandatory new license plates. The fee affects all vehicles including, cars, trucks, trailers, motorcycles and ATVs.

Since its passage last spring, I have been telling my constituents that I voted against Governor Paterson’s budget because it raised a multitude of taxes and fees to pay for a $10 billion increase in spending. For months I have been calling on the governor to order the legislature back into session so that we can take a scalpel to the budget and trim the needless fat. When we do finally come back, I hope that legislators on both sides of the political aisle will see the need to cut spending and curtail the need for taxes and fees which are burdening our already cash-strapped citizens.

In addition to the 66% rise in cost of license plate renewal I have also fought against the 25% increases in driver’s license and vehicle registration renewal fees in the 2009-10 budget and have voiced my opposition to the additional $16 MTA fee on driver’s license renewals and the $50 MTA fee on vehicle registration renewals on top of the previously mentioned 25% increases, which were a result of the $2.8 billion Metropolitan Transportation Authority bailout passed this past June.

If you wish to join me in this opposition, you may add your name to the online petition against the $25 license plate renewal fee, by visiting NONEWPLATES.COM.

Sincerely,

Assemblyman David G. McDonough
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2009, 11:17 AM

4,533 posts, read 8,339,993 times
Makes Gilligan's Island more appealing.

Old 11-09-2009, 11:19 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,300,458 times
More nickel and diming that they know they can force us to submit to. What are we going to do? Not drive cars anymore in protest?

Old 11-09-2009, 11:23 AM

964 posts, read 2,462,542 times
This jacking up of fees is becoming more and more popular. Suozzi loved to this. Service fees in Nassau County increased a ton under him.

It's a way for politicians to mask tax hikes and try to escape accountability for their out of control spending.

Old 11-09-2009, 12:29 PM

1,917 posts, read 5,344,339 times
Actually 3 things:
taxes, taxes and death.

Old 11-09-2009, 02:18 PM

294 posts, read 879,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottzilla View Post
Actually 3 things:
taxes, taxes and death.
I know, but I was trying to forget that one

Old 11-09-2009, 02:52 PM
grant516

n/a posts
As I always complain about- a lot of these fees are MTA based. They have Long Islanders by the balls- one day, I would like to see the Governor force them to balance each of their legal entities with at least 75% rider-toll based funding.

This would increase bus fare to about $8 per leg, Subway to $5 per leg, Railroad to about $25 (avg peak/off peak) each way, and $5 per Staten Ferry ride- oh, and reduce Bridge Tolls to about $1.

Until that day comes the local, city, and state, government will allow the MTA to find money from EVERY SINGLE EMPLOYER, TAXPAYER, MOTORIST, and TOURIST in New York -STATE-.

I wish I could think of a solution to this issue, mine is to use their transit as seldom as possible, and to avoid using toll bridges (despite the inconvinence) whenever I can. However as always with the MTA, my savings will just be passed on to you.

Old 11-09-2009, 02:57 PM

22,668 posts, read 36,787,758 times
[quote=HomeFinder15;11548072]So, in addition to the $100 I just paid for the Commuter Tax (I am an independent contractor/self employed) [quote]

This was the last straw for us. My DH is self employed, and we are still trying to figure out why it's our responsibility to bail out the MTA.

Old 11-09-2009, 03:13 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,300,458 times
^^^
Because you are an easy target?

I mean what is your husband going to do? Close his business immediately in protest while you still live on LI?

I know you are on the way out of here, but they will vulture in and take what they can get until you leave.

Old 11-11-2009, 01:08 AM
grant516

n/a posts
in the future your sales tax will be like 9.25 percent to feed the MTA, they will continue taking money until a politician has the balls to let the system crash and burn until it restructures.

Don't hold your breath.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island