Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2009, 08:35 AM

270 posts, read 969,598 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I'm interested in getting more out of my pool this year and am planning on getting a warm water heat pump. Does anyone have any recommendations on a Long Island (house is located in Western Suffolk) company to purchase from and to do the installation?

Thanks for any information you can provide!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2009, 08:43 AM

1,772 posts, read 3,235,931 times
thanks for opening this forum -- we are thinking of doing the same thing .
I have heard that some heaters use tremendous amounts of electricity (if you elect not to use propane) , others need constant monitoring of the mineral content of the water, etc. (not watching this somehow leads to corrosion of the internals of the pump).
is pool above or below ground ?

Old 02-22-2009, 10:27 AM

My pool is an above ground that's dropped halfway into the ground. Based on what I've researched, a Heat Pump is actually the most energy efficient way to warm your pool (aside from Solar, of course).

It seems that pumps with titanium heat exchangers are the best to get since they're able to put up with the harshest mineral conditions.

I'm not speaking from experience, however, since I have never owned one but hope to have it this spring!

Old 04-02-2009, 07:39 AM

Sorry to bump this from a month and a half ago, but I stopped pursuing this for a while to take care of other things and am now starting to look into it again.

If anyone has any experience dealing with any Long Island swimming pool heat pump sales/installation folks, I'd love to hear from you (good or bad stories.)

Old 04-02-2009, 02:37 PM

20,042 posts, read 20,839,727 times
I'm in the pool business. Heat pumps are excellent. They are very efficient.
And overall, trouble free.

However, you do get what you pay for. Purchase a well known brand such as Hayward. The cheaper priced ones(which are still pricey) you see advertised on News 12 and at Island Rec etc, are not very good.

PS:Water chemistry is very important regardless of the type of metal used in the core. You can wipe out a titanium or cooper nickle heater very easily.

If you want any more info send me a PM.

Old 05-09-2009, 08:11 PM

31 posts, read 138,967 times
looking for advice-
Here is our "story"
Above ground pool;
Do not have gas on our block, not thrilled about digging a propane tank (not to mention the govt. permits etc.).
Have looked at heat pumps, all seem to be 220 voltage,
Do not have 220 voltage near pool, would need to dig over 100' to get a new line to the pool.
Does anyone know of a good heat pump at 110 voltage?

Old 05-10-2009, 08:55 AM

20,042 posts, read 20,839,727 times
Good? No.
Ok? eh.
Don't buy the $800 or $900 special (like the ones on the TV commercials).
Pay a little more for a better quality model.

The old saying about you get what you pay for is the key in this instance.

Old 08-09-2009, 10:24 AM

1 posts, read 6,379 times
I got a quote from Island Rec on a 158K BTU WarmWaterPools Heat Pump. What do people think of Island Rec in general? The heat pump they propose uses 24.5 Amps of runnig current and is Titanium. How is it possible to wipe out this easily? (as one poster says). They have a 5 year labor and parts warranty as well as a limited limetime. How is Hayward better?

Old 08-30-2009, 04:21 PM

31 posts, read 138,967 times
how many hours a day to you run your heat pump? with the cold nights, we seem not to be maintaining our temperature. Previously we ran it with the filter, say for 8 hours in the AM, but the heat pump "aqua comfort" only ran when it was below the desired temparature (say 85). Today, it was in the 70's even after running the normal 8 hours.

Old 08-31-2009, 02:39 PM

79 posts, read 232,469 times
Have you ever looked into solar heating panels? I've been using them for about 5 years now, and my pool is regularly at 92 degrees...which is great for me because I use the pool in the evenings mostly. I also use this mineral purifier system called the Frog mineral cycler and only have about .5ppm chlorine in my pool..the extra heat doesn't seem to affect my water clarity, but I have a shut off valve for the solar panels in case the pool gets too hot.

The panels cost me about $220.00.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island