Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2009, 08:18 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,718,970 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
Overall they are very bad for the US. Yes, you can buy lots of cheap Chinese made crap, but with that you've killed manufacturing in the US and you have entire communities that are basically controlled by Walmart..they buy everything there and half the town works there. What kind of life is that?

I don't mind spending a little more to not patronize them. And, yes, I don't know why, but ever time I've ever been there, there has been some kind of incident or people are extremely rude. Never again.
Out of curiousity, what is your opinion of Home Depot and Lowes, versus using the local, mom and pop hardware or lumber store? (Ace, True Value do not count as they are franchises.)

We had 3 locally owned, mom and pop hardware stores on 25A before Home Depot showed up on 347. Within 18 months of HD's arrival, we were down to 2. The lone hold out (who signed on with True Value to cling to life) closed early last year -- the addition of the new Lowes (about 2 miles from HD) sounded it's death knell.

The few small shops which have remained in business have done so because they have aligned themselves as True Value dealers. If they didn't sell out to a national, they would have folded.

WalMart is vilified by many, while Home Depot is not; yet they basically have the same business approach -- engulf the area and destroy the competition.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2009, 08:21 AM

1,010 posts, read 3,931,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjpohl View Post
You clearly know nothing about Supercenter Wal Mart where the majority of business is sold in the grocery side of the store where almost 100% of the items are made and manufactured here in the US. Groceries are 15-25% less than other traditional Grocery stores. Plus Wal-Mart is taking the lead in green and environmental issues.
No; in fact they're pushing for lower organic standards and pushing the incentives for factory farming and large agribusiness. Big business has been hugely damaging to American farming.

Old 02-24-2009, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexisT View Post
As I said earlier, Super Wal-Mart will never come to LI and it's for purely business reasons. LI was an incredibly tough market for Wal-Mart to crack (we still have a lot fewer of them than other areas of comparable size) and we have a very strong, diverse supermarket sector. Further, the operating and real estate costs on LI are very high. Groceries are very low margin.
I shop at a Super WalMart in NH when I am working up north. The grocery department is well stocked, but it reminds me more of BJ's or Costco in format as opposed to Stop and Shop or Waldbaums.

Dairy, cereal and other non perishable type food items are about all I buy from the grocery section. You don't have the vast array of brand selections within one particular type of product (i.e. how many more brands of pasta can we find locally as opposed to in Super WalMart?)

Speaking only of the products I do buy there -- the prices are less expensive, but not too far removed from a NY supermarket's sale price.

Other products I do buy at WalMart are the types of items I would buy on LI at CVS, Walgreens, Rite-Aid, Target, BJ's, Best Buy, etc - shampoos, soaps, laundry detergent, DVDs. CDs, etc.

All are big box, corporate chains. Where are the little guys?

Old 02-24-2009, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexisT View Post
No; in fact they're pushing for lower organic standards and pushing the incentives for factory farming and large agribusiness. Big business has been hugely damaging to American farming.
Very true.

If only more people would buy shares in local farms or buy their produce from local farm stands or farmers markets.

Old 02-24-2009, 08:37 AM

655 posts, read 1,060,757 times
I find it odd because people protest Walmart left and right but then once they come to the area, they flock to it, or WORSE, people drive miles and miles to frequent Walmart, but don't want it built in their own backyard. Most people are not willing to pay the extra dollars for the same product at a smaller/regional/mom and pop store, hence why big chains dominate now.

Old 02-24-2009, 08:38 AM

1,386 posts, read 5,346,667 times
Home Depot has much better employment practices for one.... Walmart has some horrific employement practices. Home Depot from what I understand isn't as bad an offender.

as far as buying things... I go to HD b/c in general, there is little choice anymore. Hardware stores aren't around much anymore, and on little things, its more efficient. Depending on what it is, ACE hardware is a good option too.

If I'm going to get a fair amount real building material, 2x4s, plywood, sheetrock I'll order from a supply yard. If I want power tools I'll skip HD and either order online, or buy local. I know HD for a fact, and lowes, I'm just assuming, engineers quality out of materials to meet a pricepoint. the sheetrock you buy there, isn't as good as the sheetrock you'll get from Strober. The spakle, you buy there, isn't going to be as good as the stuff you'll get from another building yard.

Old 02-24-2009, 08:39 AM

7,658 posts, read 19,173,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjpohl View Post
You clearly know nothing about Supercenter Wal Mart where the majority of business is sold in the grocery side of the store where almost 100% of the items are made and manufactured here in the US. Groceries are 15-25% less than other traditional Grocery stores. Plus Wal-Mart is taking the lead in green and environmental issues.
Watch out for the Wal Mart PR plants.

Theyre everywhere.

Edelman PR Flogs (Fake Blogs) all the time.
http://walmartwatch.com/images/uploa...ontroversy.pdf

I think youll be hard pressed to find anyone not on the take zealously advocating for WalMarts environmetal and good neighbor policies.

Keep an eye on your Elected official's campaign donations as well.
Take them to task if you see Wal Mart pop up.They are either a friend of Wal Mart or a friend of small business.
Never both.

crooks

Old 02-24-2009, 08:49 AM

13,511 posts, read 17,036,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVR1997 View Post
I find it odd because people protest Walmart left and right but then once they come to the area, they flock to it, or WORSE, people drive miles and miles to frequent Walmart, but don't want it built in their own backyard. Most people are not willing to pay the extra dollars for the same product at a smaller/regional/mom and pop store, hence why big chains dominate now.

You assume that the people opposing it are the same people shopping there.

You realize that might not be the case, right?

Old 02-24-2009, 08:52 AM

13,511 posts, read 17,036,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
Out of curiousity, what is your opinion of Home Depot and Lowes, versus using the local, mom and pop hardware or lumber store? (Ace, True Value do not count as they are franchises.)

We had 3 locally owned, mom and pop hardware stores on 25A before Home Depot showed up on 347. Within 18 months of HD's arrival, we were down to 2. The lone hold out (who signed on with True Value to cling to life) closed early last year -- the addition of the new Lowes (about 2 miles from HD) sounded it's death knell.

The few small shops which have remained in business have done so because they have aligned themselves as True Value dealers. If they didn't sell out to a national, they would have folded.

WalMart is vilified by many, while Home Depot is not; yet they basically have the same business approach -- engulf the area and destroy the competition.
The competition aspect of it is pretty far gone..local hardware stores are done. I'm not sure where most of the products in HD and Lowes come from..if they pressure their suppliers to shift production to China as Walmart has in the past, etc. Valid point, though.

Old 02-24-2009, 08:57 AM

734 posts, read 1,636,428 times
Holy Cow! You have all blown me away! I asked a simple question and found out that this is a very passionate subject! LOL
Where I lived in Pa, there were very few good grocery stores. I had to go many, many miles to find one that was clean and had fresh food. Wal-Mart was only about 15 miles away and it was clean, bright, well stocked, and the supermarket part was excellent. I know they are not good to their employees and most of the merchandise comes from China. I avoid anything from China. I didn't buy that kind of stuff there. I would just love to have the cheaper prices on food! Now I have to spend time going through tons of circulars and going to several stores for the sales. And even the sales here are not as good as the regular prices were there!
I know, I know, I moved back- It's my own fault and I am not stupid. I know the cost of living here is high. I'm not really complaining, just asked a question!
I went to the Wal-Mart in Riverhead and it was absolutely disgusting. I will never go near that dump again. I went to the Wal-Mart on Rt 25 (Middle Island???) and it was clean and neat. But I guess I will stick to the sales circulars and BJ's.
Thanks for all the interesting replies!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island