Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2009, 01:01 PM

153 posts, read 380,683 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by longislandmike View Post
In a country, where EVERYONE seems to have their hand out, and where "old" words like "competition" are NOT welcome, someday, places like Wal Mart will be appreciated a little more.
Appreciated and emulated, the Wal-Mart way is the present and the future model for many if not most industry.

The Auto-industry needs to learn this as a sinking ship that cannot be saved without a substantially lower cost model. Throwing money at the big 3 is like arranging deck chairs on the Titanic. I fear the only way to help them is to let them fold, tear up the UAW contracts and start fresh with a sustainable business model.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2009, 01:01 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,715,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longislandmike View Post
It's the Law of the Jungle and it's worked, just FINE, before.

Keyword is BEFORE.

Before corporate welfare.
Before outsourcing....

Old 02-25-2009, 01:02 PM

814 posts, read 2,307,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
Soon enough the big box stores will have eliminated the local merchants. They've already started eating their bigger competition -- buh-bye Linens and Things, Circuit City, etc...

How soon until there is no competition whatsoever and we have one large nationally run corporation? Buy-N-Large was the name of the mega corporation in the Pixar movie, WALL-E. I wonder what company they were satirizing....

another mindnumbingly silly observation. there will always be competition.

you see that walmart is in business because people frequent the place, that's what's keeping them in business.

DUH. one day when something else decides they can get the target demographic to shop elsewhere or has a different idea that appeals to them, then walmarts will be a thing of the past as well.

it's called change, sometimes it doesn't appeal to everyone. i don't shop at walmart for everything and i don't like everything there but i have to admit i do shop there occasionally because it's convenient and often when i'm looking for electronics i will stop in and compare the prices.

Old 02-25-2009, 01:03 PM

5,072 posts, read 9,144,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leaana View Post
Get real! Admit you are just cheap and a scammer. scammers are the hidden people who aren't honest about their real motivations. You want walmart prices for extraordinary quality. who doesn't?
Actually I am the opposite of cheap, I am conservative with my money, but not cheap. I buy quality over pure price, though I do look for a good buy as often as possible. For example I just bought a top of the line Bosch dishwasher for $350 off, installed it myself. A good deal.

I don't want Walmart prices, I want the best quality for the buck, but I refuse to sacrifice quality for price. That's my motivation.

Old 02-25-2009, 01:04 PM

1,051 posts, read 2,977,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transpl View Post
Appreciated and emulated, the Wal-Mart way is the present and the future model for many if not most industry.

The Auto-industry needs to learn this as a sinking ship that cannot be saved without a substantially lower cost model. Throwing money at the big 3 is like arranging deck chairs on the Titanic. I fear the only way to help them is to let them fold, tear up the UAW contracts and start fresh with a sustainable business model.

This "hand-out/bail out", social engineering of our Economy, will NOT be good for us, in the long run.

But you wouldn't know that, from all of the Bull, coming out of Washington, from these True Believing, Community Organizers !

Old 02-25-2009, 01:06 PM

732 posts, read 1,734,984 times
As much as people give Wal-Mart crap, they need to realize it's survival of the fittest. The stores that are dying are the stores that refuse to change - whether that means better customer service, offering different services, or offering hard-to-find items.

K-Mart, Circuit City, CompUSA - they were all run into the ground because the company couldn't manage their stores effectively. It leaks down into the stores in forms of bad prices, spotty item stockage and terrible customer service.

Old 02-25-2009, 01:07 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,715,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leaana View Post
another mindnumbingly silly observation.
Yet you felt compelled to reply. Apparently the allegory was lost on you.

Old 02-25-2009, 01:07 PM

1,051 posts, read 2,977,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoleModel View Post
As much as people give Wal-Mart crap, they need to realize it's survival of the fittest. The stores that are dying are the stores that refuse to change - whether that means better customer service, offering different services, or offering hard-to-find items.

K-Mart, Circuit City, CompUSA - they were all run into the ground because the upper management couldn't manage their stores effectively. It leaks down.
Natural Selection.

These companies were not in it for the long run, anyway...they are notorious, cost cutters, who eventually cut their own throats.

These type of businesses, are in it for the "quick buck", and anything long term is a mirage.

Old 02-25-2009, 01:08 PM

5,072 posts, read 9,144,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
Soon enough the big box stores will have eliminated the local merchants. They've already started eating their bigger competition -- buh-bye Linens and Things, Circuit City, etc...

How soon until there is no competition whatsoever and we have one large nationally run corporation? Buy-N-Large was the name of the mega corporation in the Pixar movie, WALL-E. I wonder what company they were satirizing....
Circuit bit the big one because of bad management and some very reasonable sounding business choices that in reality were horrible. I worked there several times as a contractor/mentor on a couple of projects, and still drive by what will soon be their former corporate offices. I can't blame Wal-Mart for Circuit going under otherwise Best Buy would have also gone belly up.

Old 02-25-2009, 01:09 PM

814 posts, read 2,307,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkStreetKid View Post
Actually I am the opposite of cheap, I am conservative with my money, but not cheap. I buy quality over pure price, though I do look for a good buy as often as possible. For example I just bought a top of the line Bosch dishwasher for $350 off, installed it myself. A good deal.

I don't want Walmart prices, I want the best quality for the buck, but I refuse to sacrifice quality for price. That's my motivation.
Huh? if you paid attention to the banter, you would realize it's also about the product. not all products are necessarily that different such as most clothing, it's often the brand that increases the cost. you have to realize what your buying, most times you do get what your paying for but "what" is the nature of the question. is it style, prestige, quality, a combination etc. a can of generic green beans can be just the same quality of del monte for example. it depends on the product as well, not just the store or where it was manufactured etc across the board.

this comment was ridiculous even if the clothing was made in the united states. of course, you aren't going to get the same prices for clothing at a store like macy's compared to wal-mart. that's just plain stupid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island