Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2009, 09:27 AM

1,302 posts, read 3,306,271 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by longislandmike View Post
Excuse me, but this is an answer to a question, posed here, by a forum member.

Thank you.
Ummm (scratching head)..the OP led with an article in the Long Island forum regarding the latest bubble burst for the nyc marketplace. You are discussing your perspective on the collapse of Mexico. It's a fine topic, I just think it is its own thread.

To the OP, I think this is a positive sign, just as the correction in housing prices is bringing affordability back to the island (slowly) in certain pockets a decline in Manhattan area real estate might slow the depressing erosion of mom and pop/family ownership in nyc. Too many corporations have swooped in and developed condo towers and opened up chain stores to justify these ridiculous real estate prices. What makes the city great are the niche restaurants and shops that you can not find anyhwhere else. They continue to be squeezed out, if many even remain, as city real estate stays at these billionaire levels.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2009, 10:13 AM

1,051 posts, read 2,976,853 times
OFF TOPIC POST

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrprofess View Post
Ummm (scratching head)..the OP led with an article in the Long Island forum regarding the latest bubble burst for the nyc marketplace. You are discussing your perspective on the collapse of Mexico. It's a fine topic, I just think it is its own thread.
I guess the rest of the US is "floating around" Long Island then, right, and we are all "Lost In Space" ?

Old 02-26-2009, 10:31 AM

852 posts, read 2,017,373 times
Default He was answering a question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrprofess View Post
Get thee to the politics forum...
Christ, I really hate when people start snarking that your comments don't belong. It is very arrogant.

Old 02-26-2009, 04:34 PM

335 posts, read 935,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Judging from the headline of the above-referenced article, this does not have anything to do with most of us in the real world middle class:

And Do I Hear $2 Million? No? $1 Million? Sold!

My heart bleeds for those seeking to buy/sell 7 figure housing.
Are you kidding me...or what????

Have you ever taken a look at prices in Nassau County North and South? Did you ever hear of places such as Great Neck, Roslyn, Port Washington, Sea Cliff, Glen Head, East Norwich, East Hills, Cedarhurst, Atlantic Beach, Lido Beach, North Woodmere, Merrick Woods, Rockville Center????

Old 02-26-2009, 04:35 PM

335 posts, read 935,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arron View Post
What does that have to do with LI and the LI housing market?
Absolutely nothing I guess.......

Old 02-26-2009, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by modmondays View Post
Absolutely nothing I guess.......
Are you guys ONLYwatching AMERICAN IDOL ?

Old 02-26-2009, 05:25 PM

4,502 posts, read 13,468,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
So tell me how much that article means to you and the rest of us in the real world on Long Island.
Very simple. Manhattan is a real estate market unto itself. Every other RE market could be crumbling, declining, etc, but Manhattan would still remain stable. The fact that Manhattan is on the decline and prices are expected to drop by 50% means that everyplace else can only look forwar to a total collapse.

Old 02-26-2009, 11:48 PM

1,058 posts, read 3,488,051 times
Is this what is meant by CHANGE YOU CAN BELIEVE IN.

America is going to be a different place after this recession/depression, but how it all ends up know one really knows.

Old 02-27-2009, 03:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbres View Post
Is this what is meant by CHANGE YOU CAN BELIEVE IN.

America is going to be a different place after this recession/depression, but how it all ends up know one really knows.

You, know...you may be right about that.

BUT...Well, I don't know, because.....this was then........

And this was yesterday, Feb. 26, 2009, Davie FL.......

http://www.justnews.com/video/18805473/ (broken link)

Last edited by longislandmike; 02-27-2009 at 03:41 AM..

Old 02-27-2009, 03:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by omigawd View Post
Very simple. Manhattan is a real estate market unto itself. Every other RE market could be crumbling, declining, etc, but Manhattan would still remain stable. The fact that Manhattan is on the decline and prices are expected to drop by 50% means that everyplace else can only look forwar to a total collapse.

I guess it's going to look like this...eventually...Manilla, The Phillipines !
THAT "thing" of buildings, is the financial district of the city...whatdya think ? Kind of prescient, or a BAD DREAM ? You decide.

BUT, WOW, that's something nice to look forward to, isn't it ? IT'S ONLY MANHATTAN...whew...just a short train trip...you won't even see THEM when you come in or leave The City.

ALLS that's missing is the theme song to EVITA...and bodies floating in the river of red !

"Would you like to try a college education?
Own your landlord's house, take the family on vacation?
Eva and her blessed Fund can make your dreams come
true
Here's all you have to do my friends
Write your name and your dream on a card or a pad
or a ticket
Throw it high in the air and should our lady pick it
She will change your way of life for a week or even two"

And The Money Kept Rolling In (And Out) Lyrics

Last edited by longislandmike; 02-27-2009 at 04:20 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island