Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2009, 02:14 PM

20,102 posts, read 20,910,392 times

Advertisements

So far, very happy with FIOS. Computer is lightening fast, TV is awesome, and phone, ah, I could care less about a telephone, but it works.
Definitely waaaaay more bang for your buck than Cablevision.
It's gonna take me a month to figure out all the extra's I have with the TV package. Awesome features, I'm blown away.
The tech was top notch, no butchery to my house at all.

I gave Cablevision every opportunity to keep me as a customer and they just wouldn't budge.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2009, 02:16 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,329,409 times
Yay!!!! Welcome back!

Old 02-27-2009, 02:18 PM

486 posts, read 2,114,509 times
Excellent !! Glad you are happy!

Waiting for my hubby to "allow" me to make the switch.

Is the internet really faster???? That is something I am looking forward to.

Does everyone with a cablevision HD box have lag when changing the channel? It takes forever for the picture to come up when channel surfing. But on my regular tv with standard box, it's pretty quick.

Enjoy your FIOS.

Old 02-27-2009, 02:31 PM

73 posts, read 110,481 times
No idea who you are, but there's only room for one "hot" guy here, and that's me, so take a hike.

Welcome back, glad to hear the good news about the FIOS. Cablevision sucks on so many levels.

Old 02-27-2009, 02:42 PM

2,160 posts, read 7,520,733 times
It sucks FIOS isn't moving east!!

Old 02-27-2009, 03:10 PM

My computer is from the year of the flood, and it is night and day faster, much faster. So, if you have a decent computer, it probabally loads instantly.
The channels load much faster than Cablevision as well, the only lag I've noticed is on the "on demand" stuff. And even that is only seconds.
So far I am thrilled with everything, wish I had switched sooner.
You can't beat the value either, you get way more stuff than cable for LESS money.

The only downside is that there are sooooo many features that it will take a little time to absorb everything, but they actually give you a book that is idiot friendly to help you figure out all the features

Old 02-27-2009, 03:34 PM

208 posts, read 914,200 times
if you don't mind me asking, how much are you paying per month and what TV plan/equipment do you have? Reason I ask is because I currently have 4 TVs in my house, and I understand you need a box for all of them right?

I keep getting a mailer for $94.99 per month for 2 years, but how much extra do all the extra boxes cost you? I have 3 HD TVs and one regular, I guess I could technically do away with the regular one, but I want to match the costs up between the two services with everything I currently have.

Old 02-27-2009, 04:04 PM

19,792 posts, read 13,969,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappySpring View Post
Excellent !! Glad you are happy!

Waiting for my hubby to "allow" me to make the switch.

Is the internet really faster???? That is something I am looking forward to.

Does everyone with a cablevision HD box have lag when changing the channel? It takes forever for the picture to come up when channel surfing. But on my regular tv with standard box, it's pretty quick.

Enjoy your FIOS.
I've had both and switched back to cable.

Cable has a lag switching channels. If switches from HD to non-HD a long lag but that's the TV resetting the resolution.

You can't add an external hard drive to FIOS's DVR; you can with cable.

The internet is faster but standard Cablevision internet is fast enough for most. You'll only notice a diff when downloading a large file.

FIOS is the crispest picture available. However, I don't think they have PIP like cable and no MSNBC, or News 12.

The cost is not cheaper than cable. You'll end up paying FIOS extra taxes and if you have HD, you'll pay more too. Extra boxes are $5/mo. HD boxes are extra.

Cable's phone has better features that can be configured over the internet and their features (such as call forwarding) are free instead of $5/mo. You can also see a list of dialed and received calls on the website in real time. It was useful proving that my babysitter was yacking on the phone for hours instead of child-caring.

Hope you never need to call FIOS customer service, because it sucks.

Last edited by MTAtech; 02-27-2009 at 04:14 PM..

Old 02-27-2009, 04:42 PM

Verizon is always changing their promotional plans. Now they are offering $150 cash back and some other stuff, still at $94 a month though.
I think my bill is around $135 a month for the high performance DVR, 3 standard boxes, better internet and some other add on crap I can't remember right now.
That includes all taxes. They do offer a no frills box for like $3 a month, it's TV only, same channels, but no extra features, basically the same thing I had with cable for $6 a month.
I was paying around $150 for cable, for a lot less features.
Cablevision is not the worst, but so far I'm really enjoying the FIOS much more.
Both providers have their pro's and con's. Verizon is a little more flexible though, you can call and beat them up a little, give 'em a few idle threats and you'll get your way, or at least a decent compromise. Cable is what it is, end of story. Here's the prices/packages, take it or leave it. If you fall behind on your bill, Verizon will work with you, unlike cable who clip you and wont do a damn thing until you bring the account current. That in itself, in this economy, is a big plus for me personally.
I was laid off up until a couple of weeks ago.

Verizon has like 400 different phone numbers, you need the local service number.
I forgot it, it's somewhere in my boatload of paperwork and literature, but if you use the local service number, you get faster service.

I can still watch News12 on my computer. Heh heh.
Verizon does have some local news/weather/traffic channels.
I'm still learning everything.
The biggest headache is re-learning all the channels. And there are alot of them.
However, Verizon clusters their channels by category, and I find that to be an awesome feature.

It's a bit overwhelming right now, but I'm getting the hang of it.
We'll see what I think in a few months.

Old 02-27-2009, 06:07 PM

852 posts, read 2,018,868 times
Default I Love FIOS

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
So far, very happy with FIOS. Computer is lightening fast, TV is awesome, and phone, ah, I could care less about a telephone, but it works.
Definitely waaaaay more bang for your buck than Cablevision.
It's gonna take me a month to figure out all the extra's I have with the TV package. Awesome features, I'm blown away.
The tech was top notch, no butchery to my house at all.

I gave Cablevision every opportunity to keep me as a customer and they just wouldn't budge.
1) FIOS has generally provided excellent service.

2) FIOS price is fair for phone/cable/internet.

3) Their customer service is very bad. Generally, when I call different agents appear to have different records. Getting hooked up was a nightmare filled with promises of connection, no one showing, finding later that there was no record of my order. Complete cluster F.

4) They recently slammed me by adding an HBO package that I rejected.

I find it serendipitous that after I report slamming, a story crops up on here about how outstanding and fantabulatistic FIOS is. I'm skeptical.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island