Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2009, 06:57 AM

3 posts, read 8,154 times

Advertisements

Because of the prices of condos/co-ops/houses in suffolk, I'm thinking about moving out there. I live in Massapequa now and I just don't know how I'm going to like the extra commute and being furthur away from the malls and the Americana. Has anyone moved from Nassau to Suffolk? Do you get used to it? I don't go to the city too often but if I do I noticed that the train takes from 1 1-2 hours to 2 hrs.

I just don't know what to do. I don't want to take out a huge mortgage for an "ok" place in Nassau but the location of Suffolk is just inconvenient enough for me not to want to move there. I know that's why it's cheaper and all, I've just never considered this until recently.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2009, 07:07 AM

13,510 posts, read 17,031,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolce11 View Post
Because of the prices of condos/co-ops/houses in suffolk, I'm thinking about moving out there. I live in Massapequa now and I just don't know how I'm going to like the extra commute and being furthur away from the malls and the Americana. Has anyone moved from Nassau to Suffolk? Do you get used to it? I don't go to the city too often but if I do I noticed that the train takes from 1 1-2 hours to 2 hrs.

I just don't know what to do. I don't want to take out a huge mortgage for an "ok" place in Nassau but the location of Suffolk is just inconvenient enough for me not to want to move there. I know that's why it's cheaper and all, I've just never considered this until recently.
Suffolk is just Nassau 20 years ago, with a few bigger parks. Route 110 is the new 106/107, Deer Park Avenue is the new 110. It's all the same stuff...the malls have all the same stores. Smith Haven has most of the stuff Roosevelt Field Has.

Old 03-02-2009, 07:12 AM

Eh, I'd have to disagree. I hate the Smith Haven mall. This wouldn't be something I'm in forever but my friends, family, and job is in nassau. I just told my friend that I was thinking about moving and she said "well, don't worry about me coming to visit because there's no way I'm driving out there". It's a tough decision.

Old 03-02-2009, 07:18 AM

6,384 posts, read 13,155,991 times
Well dont move here then. Some love it some hate it. As previously stated Suffolk is the same as Nassau was 15-20 years ago. But with bigger plots.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolce11 View Post
Eh, I'd have to disagree. I hate the Smith Haven mall. This wouldn't be something I'm in forever but my friends, family, and job is in nassau. I just told my friend that I was thinking about moving and she said "well, don't worry about me coming to visit because there's no way I'm driving out there". It's a tough decision.

Old 03-02-2009, 07:21 AM

Well, I know. I'm just looking for opinions of people who have done the move to see if they got used to it, mind the commute, etc.

Old 03-02-2009, 08:18 AM

138 posts, read 270,627 times
I lived in Nassau and then rented in suffolk county. I moved here because we figured we might as well get established here since we would not be able to afford a home in nassau. (this was several years ago)
The advantages are that you do get a little more for your money. Apts, home sizes, and plots of land are somewhat larger. Taxes can be less. The traffic here is a lot better!
That being said I liked where I lived in nassau better, because I was walking distance to a preserve and some stores. In Suffolk, it is frusturating that in order to get a cup of coffee you have to start up the car. There are some beautiful towns and neighborhoods in suffolk county near little mainstreet areas...but these are usually not affordable for first time buyers. Often times the affordable areas have a sketchy/rundown feel (hope not to offend anybody). A lot more strip malls and apt complexes here as well.

I would try renting in the area, make sure you like it here first before making a large purchase you will most likely have a difficult time reselling and that might in fact go down in value.

Old 03-02-2009, 09:42 AM

2,897 posts, read 4,406,424 times
stay in nassua

Old 03-02-2009, 10:32 AM

1,416 posts, read 5,600,344 times
Of the two, of course Oakdale is closer and would be a shorter train ride. Houses in Patchogue will likely be cheaper because overall, Oakdale is considered more desirable (partly because it's a bit more western, partly for demographic reasons). What is your househunting budget?

Old 03-02-2009, 10:56 AM

7,658 posts, read 19,169,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by totallyfrazzled View Post
Of the two, of course Oakdale is closer and would be a shorter train ride. Houses in Patchogue will likely be cheaper because overall, Oakdale is considered more desirable (partly because it's a bit more western, partly for demographic reasons). What is your househunting budget?

No.

Its considered more desireable beacuse it has better schools.
I'd actually prefer Sayville, Blue Point and Bayport over Oakdale(and Motzohpizza).

FYI
Its about 25 min to the All American burger from the Oakdale Merge.
Youll be fine.

Suffolk is much nicer than Nassau (Open Space, Beaches etc)
Nassau is just more convenient if youre tied to NYC.

Crooks

Last edited by Crookhaven; 03-02-2009 at 11:22 AM..

Old 03-02-2009, 11:15 AM

1,051 posts, read 2,976,718 times
Was downtown once, at night, in Patchogue...and saw the town, itself, closes, early.

Some empty storefronts. What storefronts there were, didn't strike me as a, yet, bustling town.

I was told that the old homes on Main Street, were havens for illegal aliens....whatever that means.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island