U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2009, 10:24 AM

12,709 posts, read 14,275,435 times

Advertisements

With the economy the way it is right now, I was just wonering how this has impacted everyone's social lives.
Do you still go out to dinner, concerts, bars, sporting events, etc...
I've been hearing that many people still continue their social routines, maybe on a scaled back basis, like "pre-gaming" before going to a concert or bar to save a few bucks, but with the dpressing and stressful times we are living in right now, people continue to do these things as an "escape" from the cold realities of life.
I have a friend in a wedding/corporate band and he says he thankfully hasn't noticed any drastic decline in business, they are still booked solid.
(It is his full-time job) I've cut back a bit myself recently because I was laid off for a few months, but I think I'll be back to my regular routines this summer.
I did attend a recent show at the Westbury Music Fair, I forget what it's called now, North Fork Capital One or something, but anyway, we "pre-gamed" and thankfully so because when we went to the bar at the venue it was a whopping $9 a beer! plain old Coors Lite. Yikes!

Thoughts?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2009, 10:35 AM

10,632 posts, read 17,345,420 times
I'm continuing to live my life the way I always have, I could get hit by a bus tomorrow. I haven't suffered any job loss due to the economy though.

Old 03-04-2009, 10:45 AM

4,319 posts, read 7,557,076 times
I still have my job so I'm not spending less. I'd imagine that's true for others who haven't been let go. Some people are probably spending more now that gas is less than half of what it was last summer.

Old 03-04-2009, 05:15 PM

4,585 posts, read 8,015,222 times
Still maintaining, though we will be using coupon from an upscale chop house this weekend. Getting a coupon from this place does say something about who has cut back.

Old 03-04-2009, 06:17 PM

1,051 posts, read 2,743,637 times
It's COUPON CITY !

Even for the...ahem...upscale eating places...who are smart, to put them out. It costs A LOT to open up !

ALL those others, they just don't get it. Anyone who acts like that, in an economy like this, deserve FAILURE AND CLOSURE !

It is funny to see those business, like say, the car wash, worrying about NOT GIVING UP, "nickels and dimes", and "contracting" on features of their deals.

Their, OBVIOUS, illegal alien work force, has to be working for very little...like we didn't notice that !

By "pinching" on their deals, to spite their face, it's like people HAVE NOT forgotten how to wash and shine their cars, right ?

OH well, some of them are going to be disappearing soon.

Old 03-04-2009, 06:30 PM

5,512 posts, read 11,285,251 times
^^ Amen. The restaraunts by me(Islip) are cutting each other's b*lls off over coupons. Actually friday pizza night has gotten cheaper with the coupons. Hey, Im not complaining.

Old 03-04-2009, 06:38 PM

12,709 posts, read 14,275,435 times
My main curiousity here is if, and this is hypothetical for the sake of argument,
let's say you use to go to "Joe Blow's" bar every Friday night and spend 50 or a hundred bucks, if you will still be going, and if you do, will you still be spending the same money, or to what degree will you be cutting back, if at all.

I know people that can barely keep the lights on, but their social life is their release, their way of getting through these tough times, at least mentally. I can somewhat understand, and I am somewhat guilty of this myself, but I know my limits, and I have definitely cut back drastically on "entertainment" money. Then again, I was out of work for a few months

Old 03-04-2009, 06:50 PM

5,512 posts, read 11,285,251 times
My bills would be priority over play...especially if I was having a hard time keeping the lights on! Thats just economics 101.

But to answer your question...Yes Im still playing as hard as I work!

Old 03-04-2009, 07:29 PM

4,585 posts, read 8,015,222 times
One of my son's friends (12 years old) let slip that his dad has turned the heat down to the point where they are wearing jackets and hats in their 4000 sq ft home. Mean while outside the home they're still living large with the country club membership, vacations, etc. Matter of priorities I guess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: