Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2007, 12:07 PM

80 posts, read 496,604 times

Advertisements

How is the train from Garden City to Penn Station. Is it usually on time? How is the transfer in Jamica?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2007, 06:01 PM

1,696 posts, read 8,851,474 times
It's not bad, usually about 35-40 minutes. Depending on the time you will usually get a seat and the change at Jamaica is not a problem.... it's where you have to go from there that you need to worry about!

Old 03-22-2007, 07:15 AM

Default GardenCity Train

Thanks! How are the late trains. After 8:00 a night?

Old 03-22-2007, 05:11 PM

259 posts, read 937,057 times
Yes the Trains Run once an Hour until 1:00a.m. Then maybe like a 3:00a.m. then a 5:00am. Then Once an hour service through out day. Rush hours trains leave Hempstead every 15-20 minutes or so between 7:00am and 8:30am. And in the evening trains leave Penn every 15 -20 minutes or so from 5:00pm to 6:30pm.

You can also alternate Between the Hempstead and Mineola Branches. The Mineola station has very good service 24 hours. Service for Merrilon ave and New Hyde Park is not as good.

The Distance between the houses and stations vary. You may be able to Hike it. You may have to call car service or you may have to Drive and Park at some Stations. But you need a Permit to Park in lot. You can also Park and Hike!!!!!!

Old 03-22-2007, 06:26 PM

Default Garden

I thought all the trains in Garden City were the same. Is the Merrilon Ave train part of the Hempstead Line?

Old 03-22-2007, 10:21 PM

No Merrilon ave is not part of Hempstead Line! Merrilon is part of the Main line. The Main line goes to Huntington. It also goes to Ronkonkoma Branch via Mineola. Northern end of village (estates area) can use Merrilon. Good to purchase home off nassau Blvd either side. Between Nassau Blvd. stop (Hemstead Branch) and Merrilon ave. (Main Line) you will have prime choice of both stations. Also second choice purchase (western area) off New Hyde Park road preferable east of New Hyde Park Road between New Hyde Park stop (main Line) and Steward Manor stop. Should be able to walk to both branch stations in these areas.

Old 03-23-2007, 07:18 AM

Default GardenCity Train

As Garden City residents, are we allowed to use all those stations? Do you live in Garden City, if so, how do you like it? Thanks

Old 03-23-2007, 10:47 PM

Yes I live in Garden City!

I surfed your other threads. OOOhh the people who post these days! JJEESSSHHHUU Nevertheless I will say Compared to the other villages you have considered Manhasset, Rockville Centre, Wantagh, New Jersey and Connecticut Garden City is the best choice for you and your family. Because the Village and its school district are incorporated. Incorporated villages are usually exempt from regional wide consolidation programs!!!!!!!!! Garden City should retain its distinctively unique character for a long long time. Never let anybody discourage you from purchasing a house in the Village. Not matter where it is located. Remember this Old Saying: Garden City is Garden City !!!!!!! Good Luck Carol!

Somebody else will have to give you information about the parking permit application process. However you should know: A parking permit will not reserve a Parking space for you because Parking is conditioned with a Permit on a first come first serve basis at all LIRR railroad stations on the Island. I can attest most parking spaces will be filled before 8:00 A.M. on weekdays.

Hempstead Branch stations: Stewart Manor station is entirely within the Garden city side of border but straddles the Village of Stewart Manor. GC residents have Permit Parking access to Stewart Manor station. Nassau Blvd. Garden City and Country life Press stations are all within the GC Border.

The Main Line stations: New Hyde Park Station straddles the Garden City Border. Parking Permit access not sure? But GC homes are across the street from NHP station. Merrilon ave is entirely within the Garden City side of the border but on the edge of it. Merrilon has GC Permit access! And Mineola station is one block away from Garden City Border. Some Mineola spots might not require permit? but spots will be coin operated for up to 12 hours.

Hempstead Branch is preferred over the Main line branch!!!!!!!!

Last edited by Dee62; 03-23-2007 at 11:51 PM..

Old 03-24-2007, 07:56 AM

Default Garden City

Thank you for all the information. We are in the process of looking for a house in Garden City. Hopefully we will find one soon.

Old 03-04-2009, 12:35 PM

1 posts, read 14,704 times
Default Garden city to Jamaica Center

Hi all,

I'm looking for the schedule from this train and i cant find it, would someone please help me? i wanna know if i have a train going 1:40 - 2:00 pm tomorrow 03/05/09..... or please send me a link where i can find it!

Thanks for your help,
fcdcw
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island