Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2009, 04:56 PM

3 posts, read 20,168 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,
I have a 2 yr old that was diagnosed with PDD. He's having his CPSE evals this month and I've been researching preschools. I figured the best way to research them is to ask other parents who probably have children that go to them.

I'm especially interested in the following 4 schools:-
1) THE HAGEDORN LITTLE VILLAGE SCHOOL - Seaford
2)VARIETY CHILD LEARNING CENTER - Syosset
3)BOCES EARLY CHILDHOOD CENTER ( GALLOW & KAROPCZYC SCHOOL) - Levittown
4) BOCES EARLY EDUCATION CENTER - Plainview

If anyone has any info on any of these schools please share. I'm kinda new to this and dont really know what to look for or expect. Thanx in advance for any feedback!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2009, 05:21 PM

903 posts, read 3,579,599 times
I have experience with Building Blocks in Commack-there is a waiting list a lot of times, I believe. Feel free to email with any questions.

Old 03-05-2009, 06:18 PM

7,926 posts, read 9,150,257 times
Little Village and Variety have been around for a long time and have had good reputations. My son went to Gallow 5 years ago for speech apraxia. He did well there. I'm not too familiar with Plainview.

Old 03-05-2009, 06:27 PM

1,010 posts, read 3,930,768 times
My daughter had her EI evaluation done through Variety (on the advice of my cousin who's an SLP) and I was very happy with them, but I wasn't going for PDD. If you know any parents of kids on the spectrum, ask them--they'll know the approaches the different schools take.

Old 03-05-2009, 07:54 PM

75 posts, read 195,869 times
Hi. Variety has an excellent reputation. My daughter was actually diagnosed with PDD by one of their psychologists. I never visited the school, however, as they only had a half-day position available and my daughter needed a full day spot. That's what's it's going to come down to unfortunately. Get the evals done as soon as possible because the positions fill up VERY quickly. I don't know anything about the BOCES programs, but the CPSE chairperson will recommend the most suitable programs for your child. They will then send letters to the programs they recommend regarding your child. The programs will then contact you regarding the positions they have so you could set up a visit with the school. If they haven't contacted you within a few days, be proactive and contact them yourself. The hagedorn little village school didn't have any spots available when we were looking, and again Variety had only a half-day spot. We ended up with a spot in Mill Neck Manor, and that has worked out well thus far. The only problem is that it is too far so my 3 year old ends up spending almost an hour and a half on the bus each way. HTH.

Old 03-12-2009, 07:05 PM

366 posts, read 1,036,455 times
My son goes to the Brookville Center in Manhasset. He has come such a long way. The results are remarkable.

Old 03-05-2010, 08:32 PM

9 posts, read 35,889 times
I know this post is dated, but I'm having difficulty locating any recent posts on the topic.

Can you let me know which school you decided on?

We have a 2 year old daughter diagnosed with Autism and have narrowed her school choices down to Variety in Syosset and Little Village in Seaford. Both only have half-day availabilties for now, but we're hoping a full day spot will open up for her.

Thanks in advance!

Old 03-05-2010, 10:58 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,150,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynbad73 View Post
I know this post is dated, but I'm having difficulty locating any recent posts on the topic.

We have a 2 year old daughter diagnosed with Autism and have narrowed her school choices down to Variety in Syosset and Little Village in Seaford. Both only have half-day availabilties for now, but we're hoping a full day spot will open up for her.

Thanks in advance!
What is your school district?
I have a grandson with autism; he's 8 now, but he was just under 2 when he was diagnosed and it's been quite a journey... Spots are difficult to come by, as was previously mentioned. In the beginning, the only full-time spot available was in Riverhead (and he lives in Huntington); a bus was provided for his transportation.

Old 03-06-2010, 08:50 PM

11,635 posts, read 12,700,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynbad73 View Post

Thanks in advance!
Variety is excellent. I presume they were affected by the economic downturn, but prior to that, they got lots of donnations from private and public funding. Therefore, they had tons of resources and were very well-equipped. They really help parents with the process and offer lots of parenting classes. Judith Bloch, the director, is very helpful.

Little Village is also excellent. I have seen PDD children really turnaround by the age of 5 who have gone to either program.

I don't know where your daughter falls on the spectrum. If it is PDD and she has some verbal abilities, it is possible that you could get a half day at Variety or Little Village and a half day at a mainstream nursery school (at your own expense) with a SEIT provided through the district I would accept the half day for now and hope that a full-day opens up in the future.

You have to be very pro-active in order to obtain a spot at any of these schools. Be polite and very persistent.

Old 03-07-2010, 01:00 PM

185 posts, read 1,215,969 times
Variety has an excellent reputation. Our son does receive some CPSE services there and we have been very happy for the most part with the teachers--1 we disliked and changed--the 2 others we LOVE! They go the extra mile with hiring as teachers need to be overly qualified. We have heard this from many teachers NOT working there about how hard it it to get a job there because they are so particular with qualifications.

In any event, we are happy there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island