Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2009, 12:19 PM

7,658 posts, read 19,170,730 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexisT View Post
Crooks, it's 88% white. it's more diverse than some places, but not that diverse. It says a lot about your standards (and even something about LI in general) that you can call 3V "diverse" with those demographics. Even the 8% Asian isn't really notable compared to the top districts in Nassau.

As I said, there are things I don't love about HHH (and I don't plan on staying here), but it's a standout in terms of diversity and quality of schools. There aren't many districts on LI that manage both.

AT Youre not suggesting that by and large HHH is a AA stronghold?
(Weatley Heights perhaps but Dix Hills....c'mon.)

All I said about 3V was that it was progressive, diverse and affluent.
(And you can ask any parent of an Intel grad if they like the schools)

Sorry, but dollar for dollar I would take Stony Brook, Setauket or Old Field over the LIE Service road and its surrounds anyday.

Sadly, you are correct that LI lacks diversity but you cant argue that SUNY SB doesnt at least bring some color to the area.

To each his own.

Respectfully,

crooks

Old 03-08-2009, 12:52 PM

1,010 posts, read 3,930,768 times
Statistically, it would appear that it doesn't bring a heck of a lot of color into the schools. It is not particularly diverse and you're trying to argue perceptions over statistics.

HHH is not an AA "stronghold" but there are African-Americans outside Wheatley Heights--which is simply not that big of an area. As I said, the district has a really crazy zoning system (which serves multiple purposes--part of it is to keep all of Wheatley Heights from being zoned to one school and skewing the demographics, part is because there was so much development in the past 15 years) so it's hard to gauge population spread. But the elementary schools in HHH range from 7 to 19% AA and I don't think they can slice and dice Wheatley Heights enough to account for all of that. According to the Census Wheatley Heights has 5000 people, 48% black--and there are 1,250 AA students in HHH. I've seen more affluent black families moving into the area (I grew up in the South Huntington part of Melville).

There's a lot more to the area than the LIE service road and the McMansions, too. 3V is very pretty, no argument there, but a lot of Dix Hills and Melville are very nice. We even have hills and trees and nice lots.

Old 03-08-2009, 02:00 PM

659 posts, read 2,517,020 times
I went to Adelphi University in Garden City and the police were notorious to stopping/harrasing minority students. Perhaps they were trying to keep the Hempstead population out?I also observed at the middle school and I don't recall seeing any minority students at all. I'm not saying that you would have any problems or be overtly unwelcome, but I'm not sure that you would feel comfortable. Garden City also is not super welcoming to Jews either. With so many other nice areas, I'm not sure if I would pick that one.

Old 03-08-2009, 02:29 PM

FYI, stats for Garden City are 1% black (33 students), 1% Latino (59), 2% Asian (105), 95% white (4061). It's one of the whitest districts in the county (so far, only one to beat it is Massapequa, at 96% white.)

Old 03-08-2009, 03:19 PM

6,384 posts, read 13,156,915 times
Intersting stats on Massapequa. One would have thought it has become a lil' more diverse than that.

Quote:
FYI, stats for Garden City are 1% black (33 students), 1% Latino (59), 2% Asian (105), 95% white (4061). It's one of the whitest districts in the county (so far, only one to beat it is Massapequa, at 96% white.)

Old 03-08-2009, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Statistically, it would appear that it doesn't bring a heck of a lot of color into the schools. It is not particularly diverse and you're trying to argue perceptions over statistics.

HHH is not an AA "stronghold" but there are African-Americans outside Wheatley Heights--which is simply not that big of an area. As I said, the district has a really crazy zoning system (which serves multiple purposes--part of it is to keep all of Wheatley Heights from being zoned to one school and skewing the demographics, part is because there was so much development in the past 15 years) so it's hard to gauge population spread. But the elementary schools in HHH range from 7 to 19% AA and I don't think they can slice and dice Wheatley Heights enough to account for all of that. According to the Census Wheatley Heights has 5000 people, 48% black--and there are 1,250 AA students in HHH. I've seen more affluent black families moving into the area (I grew up in the South Huntington part of Melville).

There's a lot more to the area than the LIE service road and the McMansions, too. 3V is very pretty, no argument there, but a lot of Dix Hills and Melville are very nice. We even have hills and trees and nice lots.

Listen Dix Hills is beautiful, I just dont find it anywhere near as charming as the 3V area and 3V has a great district.

I hate to say it but a community on the North Shore thats 80% White is failry diverse by LI standards.

FWIW theres a significant Jewish population in both communites too.

I found the mix in 3v to be very smart and very cool.

Not long ago we were hearing that Baldwin was a great diversity success story for LI.

Who knows.

crooks

Old 03-08-2009, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocafeller05 View Post
Intersting stats on Massapequa. One would have thought it has become a lil' more diverse than that.
That doesnt surprise me at all.
Massapequa is a white out.

crooks

Old 03-08-2009, 03:29 PM

893 posts, read 2,863,313 times
What are some diverse towns on Long Island that a black person could feel comfortable in? Don't even say Roosvelt, Wyandanch, and Hempstead. Because I don't even feel comfortable in those.

Old 03-08-2009, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTruth08 View Post
What are some diverse towns on Long Island that a black person could feel comfortable in? Don't even say Roosvelt, Wyandanch, and Hempstead. Because I don't even feel comfortable in those.

Can anyone shed some light on Baldwin?

It was a top town a few years back.

I stand by 3v in terms of comfortable.
Race percentages aside its a very progressive and open minded community.

I know youd be welcomed there.

Crooks

Last edited by Crookhaven; 03-08-2009 at 04:18 PM..

Old 03-08-2009, 04:24 PM

Crooks, not 80% white--88%. And as I said, 2% black--not that AA population is the arbiter of diversity, but it's very relevant if you are black. 2 of the elementary schools had fewer than 10 black students in the last report cards.

HHH is much more Jewish than 3V, IMO (though 3V is one of the larger communities in that area--possibly the largest that far east; not sure how it compares to Smithtown).

There's more diversity in North Shore schools than you might think, though in part that's because the very wealthy don't send their children to public schools and there's a cluster of more working class towns directly on the Sound. South Shore Nassau is the most segregated. East of Freeport, it's solidly white.

Baldwin is an odd one. The harbor is nice and a lot of middle class black families have moved in. However, it's got Hempstead to the north and Freeport to the east, and that's affected the schools negatively--my grandmother's neighbors used to talk about Hempstead kids who were illegally attending Baldwin schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island