Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2009, 05:11 AM

1,147 posts, read 1,893,885 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by azzurrony View Post
LIOC

My neighbor and I in Garden City are white. He's been busted for seat belts by GCPD already once. I've been busted for not cleaning the snow off my walkway.

The GCPD are anal. Tell me something I don't know. That's how they keep the town like Mayberry.
I think you missed my point. I was not wearing my belt so I got the ticket. I brought up my ticket because when I went to take care of it, 75% of the people there were black or Hispanic in a village with less then a 10% minority population. Hey, maybe it just happen to be those 2 nights.

My big problem is being randomly stopped, asked why I am in GC, and having my plates run. I am just taking the most direct route to work.

Old 03-11-2009, 07:09 AM

6,378 posts, read 13,098,829 times
^^ I wouldnt even answer the G.C. police if I were asked where I was going & what I was doing in GC. I would simply ask him why Im being pulled over and if there are any violations. If no, simply state you will be on your way now. Done.

Old 03-11-2009, 09:08 AM

964 posts, read 2,455,408 times
btw, I haven't seen anybody use "hate" here or other words you used in your 5 points.
* They didn't have to. You could easily infer it from the tone of the posts.

Why are Blacks and Hispanics "suspicious"?

* I never said they were suspicious. You are putting words in my mouth. I said cops should be able to stop people who are suspicious..whether they are black, white, red, or purple.

What, is GC off limits to them?

* GC is not off limits to anyone per se.

What are the police supposed to do? Their jobs...the jobs they signed up for, which is not to chase Blacks and Latinos out of GC.
Oh wait, that IS their job.

* Really? I have seen plenty of black and hispanic patrons to the shops, restaurants, and gyms on Franklin Ave. I guess the police didn't get them in time.

You've been there for two months and because YOU haven't heard of a racial incident, that means there aren't/haven't been any? Maybe that's because there's only one race...*lol*

* Laugh all you want, but the fact remains that there are blacks and hispanics in our schools. Sure, they aren't there in great numbers, but I'd love to hear evidence of how they are mistreated.

Also, nobody said "the children are intolerant". But so what if they are?
Who the heck wants their kids going to schools where they'll be "tolerated"?
(That says a mouthful right there.)
How about embraced, welcomed, respected? I'm asking for a lot here aren't I?
(For the record, the "CHILDREN" are cool regarding race. I've had the experience to know...*s* )

* How do you know they aren't embraced? Is it just an assumption of yours because their sheer numbers are so low?

It so easy folks who are not constant targets and/or receivers of racism, discrimination, harassment, etc. to "overlook" it.

* How do you know what discrimination I've faced in life? Growing up in Western PA and facing all the stereotypes of Italians must have been a figment of my imagination. Being subjected to Mafia stereotypes, being ridiculed for having prosciutto and red pepper sandwiches at lunch, for having a vegetable garden in our backyard, for having parents that can barely speak English...that all must have been made dreamt up by me.

Last edited by azzurrony; 03-11-2009 at 09:20 AM..

Old 03-11-2009, 09:16 AM

29 posts, read 81,334 times
Wow! Garden City, a place with BEAUTIFUL HOMES is getting it in the throat! Who would have thought? I don't care what religion lives there. If I could afford one of the super big fantastic stately older homes there, I'd be in! Where is the proof positive that GC "sucks?" You know ... mentions in NEWSDAY! I have learned on this board that is what definitively proves a place is bad ... mentions in Newsday. So I am off to Newsday to find the latest "crappy town to watch out for." That will take the heat off GC (temporarily).

Old 03-11-2009, 12:03 PM

22,127 posts, read 19,344,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azzurrony View Post
btw, I haven't seen anybody use "hate" here or other words you used in your 5 points.
* They didn't have to. You could easily infer it from the tone of the posts.

Why are Blacks and Hispanics "suspicious"?

* I never said they were suspicious. You are putting words in my mouth. I said cops should be able to stop people who are suspicious..whether they are black, white, red, or purple.

What, is GC off limits to them?

* GC is not off limits to anyone per se.

What are the police supposed to do? Their jobs...the jobs they signed up for, which is not to chase Blacks and Latinos out of GC.
Oh wait, that IS their job.

* Really? I have seen plenty of black and hispanic patrons to the shops, restaurants, and gyms on Franklin Ave. I guess the police didn't get them in time.

You've been there for two months and because YOU haven't heard of a racial incident, that means there aren't/haven't been any? Maybe that's because there's only one race...*lol*

* Laugh all you want, but the fact remains that there are blacks and hispanics in our schools. Sure, they aren't there in great numbers, but I'd love to hear evidence of how they are mistreated.

Also, nobody said "the children are intolerant". But so what if they are?
Who the heck wants their kids going to schools where they'll be "tolerated"?
(That says a mouthful right there.)
How about embraced, welcomed, respected? I'm asking for a lot here aren't I?
(For the record, the "CHILDREN" are cool regarding race. I've had the experience to know...*s* )

* How do you know they aren't embraced? Is it just an assumption of yours because their sheer numbers are so low?

It so easy folks who are not constant targets and/or receivers of racism, discrimination, harassment, etc. to "overlook" it.

* How do you know what discrimination I've faced in life? Growing up in Western PA and facing all the stereotypes of Italians must have been a figment of my imagination. Being subjected to Mafia stereotypes, being ridiculed for having prosciutto and red pepper sandwiches at lunch, for having a vegetable garden in our backyard, for having parents that can barely speak English...that all must have been made dreamt up by me.
I don't think that compares to what others have faced. Also considering the fact that your family was actually allowed to live in that western PA town basically differs from Garden City right there where in the not to distant past African Americans and Jews weren't even allowed to live there. That isn't to say all or most of the residents of Garden City have negative feelings towards minorities and Jews, however that number is likely higher in Garden City than other communities due to the fact that for so long minorities and Jews were basically barred form Garden City.

Old 03-11-2009, 12:22 PM

259 posts, read 937,546 times
Another Original By ARRUZZONY

Quote:
Alexis, I think you are right. 50 percent is a fairy tale.This link says it is 15 percent, but even that seems very high. The link includes some strange zip codes, including one near Valley Stream, so I think it's off.

http://www.longislandzipcodes.com/ci...y/default.aspx (broken link)

My guess would be around 5 percent. That would be roughly 1,000 out of 20,000.

Oooohhhh your guess! I see ARRUZZONY. Well how do you explain all the Jews on my street that have Italian

last names!!!!!!!
and attend St. Josephs Latin rite catholic Church on Franklyn ave.

And all people in Garden City who hang Green Shamrocks for saint Pattys day who have Italians last names!!!

Could this be that many Families in Garden City are cross ethnic and racial intermarried .

In this case scenario then: Garden city is only 15% italian ancestry, that is with the G.C. Italians intermarried with

Hispanics, Jews and Irish!!!

It seems AZZURRONY your 30% Italian percentage is way off base.

Where did you get this percentage from? it is not listed in your Zip code Base.

15% 15% 15% 15% 15% 15% percent AZZURRONY!!!!

Last edited by Dee62; 03-11-2009 at 12:52 PM..

Old 03-11-2009, 12:49 PM

1,010 posts, read 3,919,866 times
Those are US Census Bureau figures.

Garden City village, New York - DP-2. Profile of Selected Social Characteristics:**2000

Intermarried families are not uncommon, but you have provided absolutely no backup for your assertions.

Old 03-11-2009, 01:01 PM

259 posts, read 937,546 times
An original by AlexisT

Quote:
By law, the US Census doesn't collect religious information so I wonder what their source is. Hmm. I think it may be for all of Nassau! I'm getting the same figures for other areas in Nassau--and no way is Great Neck only 15% Jewish.

The zip codes are correct (checked with the USPS site) but include areas outside the village of GC. 11530 and 11531 are the geographic codes and 11535/11599 are unique codes for companies/organizations in GC. 11536 doesn't exist.
Seems like you are contradicting yourself AlexisT!

Thank you so much AlexisT for exposing yourself and AZZURRONY as a Fraud!

The US Census bureau does not take figures on ethnic groups. I do not believe your chart! The Chart is [b] a prop by

Moderator cut: language.

Last edited by nancy thereader; 03-12-2009 at 02:29 PM..

Old 03-11-2009, 01:44 PM

1,010 posts, read 3,919,866 times
Um. You're clearly on day release, but in case anyone sane is interested, I'm referring to the table marked "ancestry".

Old 03-11-2009, 02:06 PM

22,127 posts, read 19,344,613 times
Aleis is 100% correct. The information on the ethnic breakdown of Garden City comes directly from the U.S Census Bureau, and it was released about 8 years ago, so so much for that 'prop' angle Dee..

The census bureau does not collect religious information, however other surveys have been done which put the Jewish population in Nassau county at 15%. While it didn't really release specific information for each community Garden City is WELL below the county average.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island