Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2009, 12:35 PM

3,351 posts, read 9,760,727 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by alvysyngr View Post
Update - my "realtor" just called me and said they accepted an offer and have an engineer in the house! He put my offer in this morning! I told him to make the offer saturday! Ugh - THIS is why I am so PO'd!

Because of this dope, I lose the house....now the fun part.....Him telling me it was my non-aggressive bid or if I were to stay with him he would remind me how this one "got away" and to bid right way if I see something I like...

I will not be using this or ANY Real Estate Agent in the future.....just need a good RE Attorney.....
I appreciate your anger with this agent. However you should not let your bad experience with him poison your view of the entire industry. I'm sure that some people have the education, experience, and skills needed to go up against seasoned sales professionals, but many do not and would benefit greatly from working with a competent buyer's agent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2009, 12:59 PM

37 posts, read 74,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomMoser View Post
I appreciate your anger with this agent. However you should not let your bad experience with him poison your view of the entire industry. I'm sure that some people have the education, experience, and skills needed to go up against seasoned sales professionals, but many do not and would benefit greatly from working with a competent buyer's agent.
TomMoser - I know you give a lot of decent advice around here and I appreciate that but I am seeing day after day that I am doing most of the work. I am on mlsli, trulia, oodle, etc etc etc finding properties and passing it along and either hearing, I couldn't get in there or no follow up. This is not my first run-in with agents either. I have called and tried setting up appointments with the listing agents and have found too many times that the person was late, the property is not what it is described to be and like I said, the jargon layed on thick.

I am an easy sell - I know what I want and I communicate it

I will probably end up contacting an agent a friend says is good (called just 5 minutes ago) so I don't dismiss the entire industry but the bad seeds are bad and I have had a terrible experience so far...

Old 03-09-2009, 01:02 PM

1,051 posts, read 2,977,185 times
People are using MANY, untraditional ways of selling homes these days !

Old 03-09-2009, 03:08 PM

44 posts, read 109,695 times
I had a similar experience. Basically, we can only afford a home that is a 'handyman special' but i told the guy i want a place that has working utils and NOT a place that needs a rehab loan like a 203K. We have a decent downpayment (probably about %10) and are really not very demanding in terms of school districts , etc.. We gave this guy a whole list of ML#s that we found to be in our price range (probably 20 or so) after going out with this guy 2 times we literally saw 3 off the list we gave him. It makes me so angry and frustrated because now we don't have time to close and are forced to rent again because we have a baby coming in just a couple of months. I told the guy this is what i can afford, show me places that fit into this category, we need to move fast because we have a child on the way and all he really showed was his own listings and places that were out of our price range. He also refused to travel anywhere outside of his area. Thanks for wasting my time friend.... Now we're about to take another larger, much more expensive apartment because REAs waste my time. HORRAY! not.

Old 03-09-2009, 03:23 PM

8,814 posts, read 21,280,851 times
Originally Posted by nancy thereader
I both bought my current home and sold my old house from ads in Newsday. I think it cost $15.00 a day for three days. That was it.

WOW, so they used to do something like THIS, before there were Real Estate Agents ?

I am old, but not THAT old.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 03-09-2009, 06:45 PM

37 posts, read 74,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenGuy View Post
I had a similar experience. Basically, we can only afford a home that is a 'handyman special' but i told the guy i want a place that has working utils and NOT a place that needs a rehab loan like a 203K. We have a decent downpayment (probably about %10) and are really not very demanding in terms of school districts , etc.. We gave this guy a whole list of ML#s that we found to be in our price range (probably 20 or so) after going out with this guy 2 times we literally saw 3 off the list we gave him. It makes me so angry and frustrated because now we don't have time to close and are forced to rent again because we have a baby coming in just a couple of months. I told the guy this is what i can afford, show me places that fit into this category, we need to move fast because we have a child on the way and all he really showed was his own listings and places that were out of our price range. He also refused to travel anywhere outside of his area. Thanks for wasting my time friend.... Now we're about to take another larger, much more expensive apartment because REAs waste my time. HORRAY! not.
First off - congrats on the baby! We are looking right now because we have a 9month old and are wayyyy out of room! If this works out with this new REA I can email you her info - I spoke with her and she seemed to understand everything I went through and was just cool and very patient....

Old 03-09-2009, 09:28 PM

510 posts, read 2,206,520 times
Sorry you are having a hard time finding a house - If you need a really good agent....Thats honest and will really help you...Let me know. He is the only agent I will recommend. He sold me my house.

Old 03-09-2009, 09:42 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,155,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alvysyngr View Post
Well in my experience the only one on my side is me....

Also the higher the price of the house the higher everyone's commission is.....how is that on MY side?
Guess you haven't had much experience with people who have integrity

Old 03-09-2009, 09:42 PM

113 posts, read 438,112 times
I went through almost the identical thing - creepily similar actually! We are going to def go through a broker since very often they can show you porperties before they hit the open market. I say it is worth the price they charge but take your time to find one. Budsvtec does have a really good person who he uses.....

Old 03-09-2009, 09:51 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,155,300 times
Agents help people buy and sell homes many times a year. The average person buys/sells a house every 6-8 years. Makes sense to use someone who has more experience, doesn't it?

BTW, I don't understand why more buyers on Long Island don't use an agent that represents them, as buyers, instead of an agent that represents the sellers.
Any comments?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island