Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2009, 12:21 AM

2,940 posts, read 8,322,766 times

Advertisements

Plans to finally fix the eyesore
Coming Soon ... A New Theater Near You?

I do have a concern with parking garages though, they will add an urban feel to the village, I certainly think Glen Cove was nicer before they built them. Also I do not feel Eminent Domain is an appropriate use for private development (only for infrastructure). As much as I'd like to see that delapidated building renovated, as well as the tenement flophouse behind it removed, I do have concerns about using the eminent domain. Also this may involve the razing of the laundromat/Sambuca strip. Sambuca needs to go as there have been numerous probs there (despite this the Action Party keeps renewing their permit!).
However without a laundromat it may be tough for folks who depend on it, not all illegals either. Perhaps a Laundry Palace can be part of this new development, as well as a buyout of C-Town by North Shore Farms or some other more upscale marketplace.
The amount of parking spaces needed is ridiculous. The Movie Theater didn't need that many years ago, why now? Lets just encourage more people to drive even though we have a perfectly walkable town...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2009, 02:48 PM

2,845 posts, read 10,511,090 times
This is great news, I thought that theater was done for! The drawings of the restored building look fantastic....similar to what it originally looked like from what I have read. I agree they could definitely do without a parking garage - which I imagine will go largely unused....but it doesn't seem that the village is being very flexible on the building code.

Old 03-08-2009, 07:12 PM

149 posts, read 525,238 times
I read about the renovation in the paper not long ago and it's been a long time coming. I remember the last movie I saw there was Purple Rain (my aunt was my adult ticket in ) and then the place just seemed to fade into oblivion.

I went to Sambuca about a year ago and it definatly convinced me that my club days ended almost 10 years ago. The music was good, drinks WAYYYY expensive (seriously, save the high price for Manhattan) but there's a dicy aura around it for sure. I've always been curious about the windowless apartment building behind the theater. I was never a fan of C-Town and it amazed me how owners never changed it from the low rent sub-super market style for as long as it's been there. My mom loves going there for the little odd and end things, go figure.

Old 03-08-2009, 11:37 PM

2,940 posts, read 8,322,766 times
Wow, I didn't know Sambuca was expensive, looked like a cheapo dive club to me. Yeah C-Town puzzles me, the whole place is really an eyesore with the bars and illegals hanging out there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: