Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2009, 05:03 AM

13,510 posts, read 17,028,088 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomonlineli View Post
So, I've read a lot of good arguments as to the reality vs perception of teachers salaries. However, if teachers really feel that they are unfairly treated by the media than you should have your union release salaries for each teacher along with tenure and education level.

I know that everything in the media is not absolute truth, but I also know that most teachers get information by their Union Reps and they are not people who are going to tell you that you are overpaid. In fact, their incentives lie with convincing the teaching population that they are underpaid and have a very difficult situation. I know that both the media and union reps will hire statisticians to mix numbers in order to try to further their argument. However, I do know a thing or two about collective bargaining and negotiations. The Unions wouldn't negotiate for such a high top salary if a significant part of their union would never see that level of income.

Also, I see a lot of arguments about salaries and raises vs private sector jobs. However, this argument skips one vital point of compensation; pensions. A teacher retiring on a pension of 75k is not uncommon (in my experience). The amazing thing is that a private sector employee would have to have a 401k on the size of approx 2 million dollars to purchase a similar immediate annuity that would provide 75k in income each year comparable to the teachers pension. That makes a huge difference in the real income a teacher achieves each year. As, a teacher with 20 years experience would earn about 50k per year more when you include the added value of the pension.

Fair point. The pension is after 30 years, and they do contribute to it, unlike police who contribute 0% and can retire in 20 years, although at a lower % salary, but either way, this is a perk that raises their true compensation levels and needs to be factored into their salaries. However, many public employees have a similar pension to teachers and cops..LIRR, Corrections Officers, Court Officers, and some others. Yes, we know that teachers make up 60% of your tax bill, but why aren't we going after these compensation levels across the board? How much money does the LIRR and MTA pension cost commuters every year?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2009, 05:32 AM

852 posts, read 2,016,890 times
Default We don't because...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
Fair point. The pension is after 30 years, and they do contribute to it, unlike police who contribute 0% and can retire in 20 years, although at a lower % salary, but either way, this is a perk that raises their true compensation levels and needs to be factored into their salaries. However, many public employees have a similar pension to teachers and cops..LIRR, Corrections Officers, Court Officers, and some others. Yes, we know that teachers make up 60% of your tax bill, but why aren't we going after these compensation levels across the board? How much money does the LIRR and MTA pension cost commuters every year?
We don't go after these salaries because we shouldn't. Just because people make good money and retirement isn't an indictment. Used to be that was a good thing. If the indictment is that it's expensive, then raise taxes on people in NY earning millions and billions.

Old 03-12-2009, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadPool1998 View Post
We don't go after these salaries because we shouldn't. Just because people make good money and retirement isn't an indictment. Used to be that was a good thing. If the indictment is that it's expensive, then raise taxes on people in NY earning millions and billions.
I agree with that, but there has to be some sense brought into the equation also.......a pension like cops and teachers have is worth a few hundred extra dollars per pay check, when they are already making salaries equivalent or higher to what people in the private sector or making. And for the police, add on free healthcare (not sure about all teachers, but my wife's isn't free..it's actually more expensive than what my employer offers, but better coverage). I'm not sure what LIRR and MTA workers have for health insurance.

On the OTHER hand..if compensation packages for teachers and cops came down by 15%, a person with a property tax bill of $9,000 might see a drop of $600-800 or so per year. You would still have the same people who complain about the budget every year..continuing to complain about the budget, me thinks.

Old 03-12-2009, 07:56 AM

1,010 posts, read 3,929,908 times
I'm not sure they are making equivalent salaries to the private sector. My husband has a BS in math. He makes more than a math teacher (with an MS) with 30 years experience, and he's not that spectacularly well paid for the NYC area (and doesn't work in finance).

Traditionally, public sector workers have taken a lower salary in return for higher benefits and pensions.

Old 03-12-2009, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexisT View Post
I'm not sure they are making equivalent salaries to the private sector. My husband has a BS in math. He makes more than a math teacher (with an MS) with 30 years experience, and he's not that spectacularly well paid for the NYC area (and doesn't work in finance).

Traditionally, public sector workers have taken a lower salary in return for higher benefits and pensions.
Maybe that's the case with Math, but someone with a history or English degree in the public sector is not going to make what teachers make. Maybe if you climb the corporate ladder in the publishing industry with an English degree you could get into 6 figures eventually, but you can also get canned in 2 minutes if your boss has a bad day.

I can see both sides of the issue.

Old 03-12-2009, 08:52 AM

852 posts, read 2,016,890 times
Default I understand that...

Quote:
I agree with that, but there has to be some sense brought into the equation also.......a pension like cops and teachers have is worth a few hundred extra dollars per pay check, when they are already making salaries equivalent or higher to what people in the private sector or making. And for the police, add on free healthcare (not sure about all teachers, but my wife's isn't free..it's actually more expensive than what my employer offers, but better coverage). I'm not sure what LIRR and MTA workers have for health insurance.

On the OTHER hand..if compensation packages for teachers and cops came down by 15%, a person with a property tax bill of $9,000 might see a drop of $600-800 or so per year. You would still have the same people who complain about the budget every year..continuing to complain about the budget, me thinks.
Let's not group all civil employees, then. Let's be careful.

That can be achieved by reducing the rate of increase, and that I support. Taxes should NEVER outpace the rate at which the median income climbs.

Old 03-12-2009, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadPool1998 View Post
Let's not group all civil employees, then. Let's be careful.

That can be achieved by reducing the rate of increase, and that I support. Taxes should NEVER outpace the rate at which the median income climbs.
Well, hasn't that been going on for 10 years?

Old 03-12-2009, 09:33 AM

659 posts, read 2,516,216 times
LI teachers do NOT get free healthcare!!! I actually pay quite a bit for my health coverage. LI teachers also contribute to their own pensions...it's not handed to them!!!What about pensions of people who work for the town or Railroad or courts?? Why is it always teacher bashing??? They get nice pensions too.

My union sent a letter to Newsay protesting the fallacies in their article about teacher pay. Let's see if Newsday publishes it!!!!! I doubt they will. Newsday loves to stir the pot and for some reason, they love it when people bash teachers. I just can't believe how many people really believe Newsday's article. It is astonishing how gullable the American population is in relation to the media.

Old 03-12-2009, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by llama8 View Post
LI teachers do NOT get free healthcare!!! I actually pay quite a bit for my health coverage. LI teachers also contribute to their own pensions...it's not handed to them!!!What about pensions of people who work for the town or Railroad or courts?? Why is it always teacher bashing??? They get nice pensions too.My union sent a letter to Newsay protesting the fallacies in their article about teacher pay. Let's see if Newsday publishes it!!!!!

I already stated clearly that teachers don't get free health care.

I already stated that the pensions aren't free, however, in fairness, if you look what the outlay is for the employee, the return is off the charts, especially now with the market tanking and most private sector peoples 401K taking a nose dive..

Your union was right to send a letter to Newsday, they were disingenuous in their reporting. But on the other things..calm down.

Old 03-12-2009, 09:39 AM

659 posts, read 2,516,216 times
Quote:
Maybe that's the case with Math, but someone with a history or English degree in the public sector is not going to make what teachers make. Maybe if you climb the corporate ladder in the publishing industry with an English degree you could get into 6 figures eventually, but you can also get canned in 2 minutes if your boss has a bad day.

I can see both sides of the issue.

Ummm...less than 5% of LI teachers make over $100,000. Anyone can make a lot more money with an English degree in the "real world". Many times, people take a pay cut to become a teacher. If I worked in the "real world" I really think I would make more money than I am teaching. Teaching, however, is a passion and sometimes you can't put a price tag on happiness
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island