Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2013, 03:30 PM

14 posts, read 48,784 times

Advertisements

Hi City Data-ers!

I've searched and googled and can't find specific help with questions I have, so thought I'd finally turn to you guys for expert help. And before I get the typical response to this sort of question, I'm quite aware that it is 2013 and Long Island is mostly tolerant of same-sex households (though I have read a few responses in the LI forum that included "as long as you don't rub it in our faces." -- this concerns me).

I've experienced much homophobia and discomfort in my life, whether or not I've rubbed my "lifestyle" in "people's faces", so it's very important to me to live somewhere in Nassau County where I will have the least chance to run into that sort of situation.

Okay, here are the specifics I hope you all can help with:

My partner and I are in our early 30s, with young children about to enter into kindergarten. We now live in the outrageously accepting Seattle area, but are relocating to the East Coast because of a new job for my partner in the FiDi. We are cliche middle class, so can't afford anywhere in NYC that is safe with good schools. I'm excited to return to the area after spending most of my young adult life living in NYC. Though I've visited gay friends on Long Island many times, it's been years and I'm unaware of how the culture changes from hamlet to hamlet.

-We're hoping to be under an hour on the train to Penn Station
-We'd like somewhere with relatively low crime
-House prices are doable for middle class
-Has to be a low chance of running into homophobic hostility

That's all. I look forward to friendly suggestions!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2013, 03:32 PM

4,157 posts, read 4,007,547 times
I'm thinking there is a single troll doing all these topics about wanting to move to areas in NYC.

Old 12-10-2013, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinjsxx View Post
I'm thinking there is a single troll doing all these topics about wanting to move to areas in NYC.
Because people wanting to move to areas in NY are rare?

Old 12-10-2013, 04:04 PM

3,445 posts, read 6,037,241 times
Seeing as you are from the outrageously accepting city of Seattle....will you be accepting of Dunkin Donuts Coffee?

Old 12-10-2013, 04:07 PM

530 posts, read 1,351,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emeraldcitywiz View Post
Hi City Data-ers!

I've searched and googled and can't find specific help with questions I have, so thought I'd finally turn to you guys for expert help. And before I get the typical response to this sort of question, I'm quite aware that it is 2013 and Long Island is mostly tolerant of same-sex households (though I have read a few responses in the LI forum that included "as long as you don't rub it in our faces." -- this concerns me).

I've experienced much homophobia and discomfort in my life, whether or not I've rubbed my "lifestyle" in "people's faces", so it's very important to me to live somewhere in Nassau County where I will have the least chance to run into that sort of situation.

My partner and I are in our early 30s, with young children about to enter into kindergarten. We now live in the outrageously accepting Seattle area, but are relocating to the East Coast because of a new job for my partner in the FiDi. We are cliche middle class, so can't afford anywhere in NYC that is safe with good schools. I'm excited to return to the area after spending most of my young adult life living in NYC. Though I've visited gay friends on Long Island many times, it's been years and I'm unaware of how the culture changes from hamlet to hamlet.

Honestly, I wouldn't specifically recommend anything on Long Island. I mean, regardless of where you are you likely will be fine and not bothered.

I think you should look into the South Orange/Maplewood/Montclair/West Orange area of New Jersey. Lots of liberals, acceptance, diversity, progressives, good schools and I know there are a decent amount of same-sex households. VERY easy commute into Manhattan. However, it could get kinda pricey over there.

Last edited by PrestigiousReputability; 12-10-2013 at 05:21 PM..

Old 12-10-2013, 04:08 PM

791 posts, read 1,613,856 times
I'd look to Westchester before I'd look to Long Island for what you're looking for - the towns along the Hudson River are significantly more progressive than anything you'll find here (and, as a progressive person myself, I say that with great regret).

Old 12-10-2013, 04:27 PM

19,583 posts, read 20,395,815 times
Basically overall nobody is gonna bust your chops or harass you anywhere in Nassau. Probably the worst thing would be your neighbors cracking gay jokes behind your back but will seem accepting and friendly in front of you. Actually many people claim to like having gay neighbors because they are usually professional and courtious and keep their homes and property nice. So just look for the best neighborhood/school district your budget allows. I really don't forsee any problems unless you just happen to unfortunately move in next to the town bigot.

Old 12-10-2013, 04:44 PM

7,844 posts, read 13,169,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emeraldcitywiz View Post
Hi City Data-ers!

Do your friends still live on LI? If so, reach out to them and ask them about where they live and the towns they frequent. They would probably know best.

Also, what exactly is your budget other than "middle class"? And are you open to areas outside of LI? Keep in mind of the taxes you'll be paying if you're looking to buy.

Old 12-10-2013, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellakin123 View Post
Do your friends still live on LI? If so, reach out to them and ask them about where they live and the towns they frequent. They would probably know best.

Also, what exactly is your budget other than "middle class"? And are you open to areas outside of LI? Keep in mind of the taxes you'll be paying if you're looking to buy.
We are keeping in mind property taxes (they seem to be somewhat steep, but doable). Our budget is between 300 and 400. Thanks

Old 12-10-2013, 04:56 PM

4,676 posts, read 9,930,023 times
Well........I was going to say Sea Cliff as it has been gay friendly for decades, but your budget is too low.

300-400K is tough for Long Island.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island