Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2009, 12:42 PM

4,698 posts, read 8,760,956 times

Advertisements

Isn't XM/Sirius about to go bankrupt? FM radio may struggle, but as long as it's free, it's not going anywhere. Some of these stations need to figure out a way to improve upon the traditional oldies/classic rock/modern rock formats. The Top 40 stations like Z100 and KTU seem to be doing fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2009, 01:00 PM

265 posts, read 945,241 times
wtf, is k-rock seriously calling it quits. If so, is opie and anthony still going to be on?

Old 03-10-2009, 01:16 PM

177 posts, read 893,162 times
Nope, Opie and Anthony were fired from K-rock yesterday. They're syndicated - check their website. I'm pretty sure they're also on XM, as well.

Old 03-10-2009, 01:47 PM

5,072 posts, read 9,145,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrprofess View Post
Two words for everyone: satellite radio. I went to CD's years ago due to my disdain for all things radio. Then on to satellite. I will never go back. I flip from CNBC to English Premiere League soccer to Stern to Sinatra channel to 90's alt rock to old school rap. And zero commercials on the music stations. FM radio is dead, they just don't know it yet.
Same here Prof, I love the choice of stations and all play plenty of deep cuts. I got satellite with the Mustang convertible we just bought, was a bit dubious about it but now I'm hooked. Half the time I'm also finding all the good old DJs from the good ol' days of radio (AM & FM) hosting shows. Heck, even the 60's and 70's pop stations sound like WABC used to with the DJs talking over the intros but with better sound quality.

Old 03-10-2009, 02:33 PM

1,302 posts, read 3,306,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.B. View Post
Isn't XM/Sirius about to go bankrupt? FM radio may struggle, but as long as it's free, it's not going anywhere. Some of these stations need to figure out a way to improve upon the traditional oldies/classic rock/modern rock formats. The Top 40 stations like Z100 and KTU seem to be doing fine.
Much like the fledgling era of FM, when everyone said it would fail because everybody had AM and would not pay for FM in their cars satellite will be just fine with its new financing from DirectTV. Radio stations are collapsing all around us due to the audience not only leaving for satellite, but they also left long ago to listen to books on tape, CD's, ipods and podcasts. Much like the generation of DVR watchers we have become with television, nobody wants to put up with commercials anymore. Especially for most of the horrible quality radio out there, when we can all build our own radio stations through itunes in a snap. Talk to teens today and ask them what their favorite radio station is....they will probably shrug and never look up from their ipod as they listen to their music and text friends. Traditional radio is toast, and will never be what it was.

Old 03-10-2009, 02:38 PM

265 posts, read 945,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamTheCatRocks View Post
Nope, Opie and Anthony were fired from K-rock yesterday. They're syndicated - check their website. I'm pretty sure they're also on XM, as well.
Wow, this really SUCKS. What am I going to listen to on my way to work in the morning now? lol

Old 03-10-2009, 02:51 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,939,050 times
That's pretty much how I feel about Walk 97.5. They've really changed over the years. In the past they've always favored a few songs and played them often, but now it's getting ridiculous. And what's with them playing Rihanna?? She's pop/R&B. I feel like they're slowing dipping into a top 40 station and it's getting annoying. I wish they would play more 70s and 80s.

Old 03-10-2009, 02:52 PM

22,187 posts, read 19,462,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxhunter42 View Post
K-Rock has changed format to Top-40. They're celebrating by playing 10,000 songs in a row with no commercial interruption. (Which I'm sure they'll make up for immediately following song number 10,000. If you think all the classic rock was boring, wait until you hear 10,000 Top-40 songs in a row. Jeez. What are these people thinking?!?!

BTW, Pearl Jam, Nirvana, etc are 90's bands, not 80's. Just because they started in '88/'89 does not make them '80s bands.
Something eventually had to give, the two lowest rated major FM stations in NYC were K-Rock & WRXP, and outside of the mornings with Opie and Anthony who did pretty well, K-Rock may have even been lower than WRXP.

Old 03-10-2009, 02:58 PM

4,698 posts, read 8,760,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrprofess View Post
Much like the fledgling era of FM, when everyone said it would fail because everybody had AM and would not pay for FM in their cars satellite will be just fine with its new financing from DirectTV. Radio stations are collapsing all around us due to the audience not only leaving for satellite, but they also left long ago to listen to books on tape, CD's, ipods and podcasts. Much like the generation of DVR watchers we have become with television, nobody wants to put up with commercials anymore. Especially for most of the horrible quality radio out there, when we can all build our own radio stations through itunes in a snap. Talk to teens today and ask them what their favorite radio station is....they will probably shrug and never look up from their ipod as they listen to their music and text friends. Traditional radio is toast, and will never be what it was.
the loan from DirectTV was merely a band-aid...a quick fix. The company's finances are still a mess. A mess that's been made worse by the auto industry crisis.

Satellite radio in one form or another will likely eventually become a success, but it might just take another company doing with with a completely different business model to pull it off.

In the meantime, while many radio stations are struggling, others are thriving. It's not even close to being "toast"...and won't be anytime soon.

Old 03-10-2009, 03:03 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,939,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxhunter42 View Post
K-Rock has changed format to Top-40. They're celebrating by playing 10,000 songs in a row with no commercial interruption. (Which I'm sure they'll make up for immediately following song number 10,000. If you think all the classic rock was boring, wait until you hear 10,000 Top-40 songs in a row. Jeez. What are these people thinking?!?!

BTW, Pearl Jam, Nirvana, etc are 90's bands, not 80's. Just because they started in '88/'89 does not make them '80s bands.

K-Rock should change to Jack Fm. I liked that station. I'm much happier CBS-fm is back on, but it would be nice if Jack fm was on another station that plays the same garbage over and over.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island