Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2010, 06:49 AM

244 posts, read 540,299 times

Advertisements

Be careful what you wish for. First, I don't think speed bumps are a good idea, if they are even legal, on public roads. And stop signs can be even worse for the "quality of life".

Case in point: A couple of years ago, Lindenhurst Village put a 4-way stop sign on Delaware Ave. and Herbert Ave(?) in place of the old 2-way on Herbert. My mother-in-law lives one house in, on a side road a block away. She says that ever since that stop sign has been put in, all she hears day and night are cars/trucks accelerating away from the stop-sign. What's worse is, based on my own and others' experience, people are speeding MORE to make up for the loss of time.

About 10 years ago, a very vocal person on my block, about 2 blocks off of Delaware, advocated putting a stop-light on Delaware. The answer was "no, it's only going to make matters worse". Not sure if that was DOT, or some other agency, but their premise was that people will just go faster to either beat the red, or speed even more to make up for the lost time.

With the 4-way stop-sign above, I think Lindenhurst was trying to make it easier for kids to walk home from school, given Lindenhurst's lovely propensity to deny safe transportation to/from school to kids within "walking distance". Of course, they didn't put a crosswalk there, so what their reasoning really was, I have no clue.

But I will say this, while it's nice to be able to make a timely left out of Herbert onto Delaware, you still have to wait to see if people are going to stop at the stop sign. I've had people run it right in front of me to the point where if I had assumed they are stopping, I would have been hit.

Moral of this rant? Be careful what you wish for.

The best way to handle this is like others said - make note of cabs and trucks, including identification/plate numbers and complain to the companies, get the police involved, do whatever you can. You will still get the occasional out-of-towner who doesn't realize the speed is being enforced, but there is always one bad apple in the bunch.

Old 10-31-2010, 12:11 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,189,971 times
Thread is closed due to personal attacks and rude comments
Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island