Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2010, 11:16 PM

456 posts, read 1,122,502 times

Advertisements

Be careful with this area. A few years ago when prices were insane, we were looking for a house and Patchogue and Medford were cheap, so we looked. We found some really nice houses. We love old colonials and that is what we found. But, we also found a lot that we didn't like- drug deals in broad day light, thugs walking around, etc. Regardless of this, we were going to take our chances since it was what we were able to afford and not all of the areas were bad. It's funny, but there are some nice, safe appearing areas with some great neighbors, yet you have the downtown and wandering criminals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2010, 02:41 PM

764 posts, read 1,553,549 times
Default hmm

I know this is old but is medford off of granny rd as bad as patchogue?

My problem with these boards is everything tends to be overblown. I work in huntington village where there is some really bad crimes also. All the banks here in huntington have gotten robbed atleast once. Mainly in broad daylight.

Old 06-17-2010, 03:19 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,683,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majortom1981 View Post
According to the Census Bureau's online address search function, Granny Road is in Gordon Heights ("Medford, NY 11763" mailing address).

Old 06-17-2010, 03:34 PM

456 posts, read 1,122,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majortom1981 View Post

My problem with these boards is everything tends to be overblown. I work in huntington village where there is some really bad crimes also. All the banks here in huntington have gotten robbed atleast once. Mainly in broad daylight.
Old Medford is ok or Roe blvd in Patchogue if you have to live there. You don't want to be near Granny rd..Gordon height..ugg..it's worse than Roosevelt.

Old 06-17-2010, 08:42 PM

5 posts, read 13,006 times
haha i find this thread very funny as I currently live in east patchogue and have ever since I was a kid. I guess I didn't realize how good the other areas on LI are because I was always just thinking that I was lucky that I didn't live in North Bellport. East Patchogue and Patchogue really arent that bad. My house has never been broken into and yeah I know there are a few druggie spots, but you're gonna find that in every neighborhood. Bellport High School is horrible though, and Pat Med is getting pretty bad too. Not a good area if your kids are gonna go to public school. It's not at all as bad as what people are saying though, at least I don't feel that way.

Old 06-17-2010, 08:56 PM

2,897 posts, read 4,407,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by enfrancais1719 View Post
It's not at all as bad as what people are saying though, at least I don't feel that way.

I agree..its not. I think for the most part...its fine.

Old 06-21-2010, 08:46 AM

4 posts, read 28,820 times
Well I guess some of it depends on where you live exactly, obviously by the water off South Country Rd. will look a bit different than the neighborhoods adjacent to North Bellport. Plus it's disappointing for older people who made lives there and knew what it was like to not be robbed every year, see drug deals in front of their home, etc.

Old 06-13-2011, 08:02 AM

1,144 posts, read 2,990,244 times
so this thread is another year older - any changes to Patchogue Village? Is it about as revitalized as it's going to get? I still counted many vacant store fronts, and vacant offices on the floors above there said stores.

We're a young couple, no kids, late 20's looking to buy a home in Patchogue Village, within walking distance of Main st.

Saw some nice old colonials that we like, and they seem to be really well maintained. Home owners seem to be proud of their property for the most part. However, we are concerned about the crime mentioned in the thread. Home invasions? car theft? Rape? Seriously? looking at FamilyWatchdog doesn't seem to raise an alarm... it's no worse than Sayville. Should we look at homes with garages, and only attached? 6ft iron spiked fences and not white pvc to deter graffiti? ADT video security a must?

Is my 2011 Camaro Conv a prime target if it's not garaged? Homes in the area seem to have nicer cars (BMW, Benz, Lexus) parked outside with no fences/gates... Home owners seem to take care of their yard and be proud of their house (which is a definite plus, something you wouldn't see in the ghetto) Is it safe for my wife to walk our dog at night? We've spent a good amount of time in the area, and it sure feels safe. Many great food and bar establishments too!

So what's the real truth? I don't really care to be in a lily white SD and it feels like many posters are all about that. Sometimes I feel like I really need to read between the lines on this forum to get real info.

Old 06-13-2011, 11:13 PM
gag

683 posts, read 1,421,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayo_michael View Post
so this thread is another year older - any changes to Patchogue Village? Is it about as revitalized as it's going to get? I still counted many vacant store fronts, and vacant offices on the floors above there said stores.

We're a young couple, no kids, late 20's looking to buy a home in Patchogue Village, within walking distance of Main st.

Saw some nice old colonials that we like, and they seem to be really well maintained. Home owners seem to be proud of their property for the most part. However, we are concerned about the crime mentioned in the thread. Home invasions? car theft? Rape? Seriously? looking at FamilyWatchdog doesn't seem to raise an alarm... it's no worse than Sayville. Should we look at homes with garages, and only attached? 6ft iron spiked fences and not white pvc to deter graffiti? ADT video security a must?

Is my 2011 Camaro Conv a prime target if it's not garaged? Homes in the area seem to have nicer cars (BMW, Benz, Lexus) parked outside with no fences/gates... Home owners seem to take care of their yard and be proud of their house (which is a definite plus, something you wouldn't see in the ghetto) Is it safe for my wife to walk our dog at night? We've spent a good amount of time in the area, and it sure feels safe. Many great food and bar establishments too!
years
So what's the real truth? I don't really care to be in a lily white SD and it feels like many posters are all about that. Sometimes I feel like I really thneed to read between the lines on this forum to get real info.
The real truth is Patch Village is on the mend and a good choice if you want. P-M school district is diversified and average if that's OK. I think the bad rap with high crime is in East Patch the last few years. Crime is less in Patch Village. Good Luck

Old 06-14-2011, 06:31 AM

1,917 posts, read 5,344,743 times
I see through the "Revitalization" of Patch Village.
They received millions in State and Federal money to clean up Main St. and still have an uphill battle trying to attract business.
You still have multiple families sharing those big victorians 2 blocks off the water.
I'm not impressed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island