Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2009, 02:21 PM

220 posts, read 1,119,387 times

Advertisements

So, there is a backlog of 1-2 years worth of homes on the market. What does that mean for individual sellers? Is there an average amount of time a home stays on the market before selling? (Priced for the market, etc.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2009, 04:21 PM

3,351 posts, read 9,760,727 times
While every situation is different, you should figure that (if your home is priced well) it will take about 3-5 months to get it sold in today's market.

Old 03-14-2009, 04:24 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,305,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomMoser View Post
While every situation is different, you should figure that (if your home is priced well) it will take about 3-5 months to get it sold in today's market.
3-5 months for a contract to be signed or 3-5 months for closing to take place?

Old 03-14-2009, 04:24 PM

3,351 posts, read 9,760,727 times
To contract. Another 2-3 months to closing.

Old 03-14-2009, 06:31 PM

220 posts, read 1,119,387 times
Is that based on the average amount of time homes on LI have been selling? If so, when? Things seem to change constantly lately.

Old 03-15-2009, 11:40 AM

353 posts, read 1,021,073 times
Careful what you see as "average" You can be listed with "Broker A" for a year at $450, then list with "Broker B" and lower the price to $350 on Tuesday and it sells on Thursday.

MLS has it as 2 days on market, when the actual figure is a year.

Keep in mind that this occurs every year, in good markets and bad. So, as inaccurate as the numbers are, you can use the to measure trends since they are probably equally as inaccurate from year to year.

Old 03-15-2009, 12:24 PM

20,048 posts, read 20,855,965 times
My last house went on the market in April '06. It didn't sell until May '07.
Actually, we went to contract in May '07, but didn't close until friggin September!
That was 3 Real Estate companies later btw...
Horrible, miserable, depressing experience. Nothing but drama, chaos, and heartache.
Definitely will test your patience and temperment, as I came pretty close to knocking out quite a few people during the process.

Old 03-15-2009, 01:59 PM

2,666 posts, read 7,336,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer06 View Post
Is that based on the average amount of time homes on LI have been selling? If so, when? Things seem to change constantly lately.
I think they use a simple formula.... # of houses in the market this month divided by number of houses sold this month.... same for next month and so on.... so you will see a gradual change over a period of time... up or down....

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewMensch View Post
Careful what you see as "average" You can be listed with "Broker A" for a year at $450, then list with "Broker B" and lower the price to $350 on Tuesday and it sells on Thursday.

MLS has it as 2 days on market, when the actual figure is a year.

Keep in mind that this occurs every year, in good markets and bad. So, as inaccurate as the numbers are, you can use the to measure trends since they are probably equally as inaccurate from year to year.
This is true.... I saw that on one of the houses....

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
Actually, we went to contract in May '07, but didn't close until friggin September!
Horrible, miserable, depressing experience. Nothing but drama, chaos, and heartache.
Definitely will test your patience and temperment, as I came pretty close to knocking out quite a few people during the process.
Sorry to hear that, good that you finally sold it, I'm sure it tests the patience these days....

Old 03-15-2009, 08:34 PM

187 posts, read 863,413 times
Quote:

What do you mean by Real Estate Companies? Brokers? if it was in contract what were the lawyers doing? 4 months IS a long time..

Old 03-15-2009, 09:03 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,155,300 times
Quote:
Could sound longer than it was... Sounds like four months, but might have been just over three months.
When in May was your contract signed - the beginning, the end? And when was the closing - the beginning of Sept. or the end? And what did the contract state? On or about xyz ...
There is an implied 30 day "grace" period after the stated closing date. This should have been explained to you by your attorney (possibly by your RE agent).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island