Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where is the East/West Line for LI?
Rt. 135 2 3.17%
Rt. 110 20 31.75%
Rt. 112 19 30.16%
Wm Floyd Parkway. 22 34.92%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2012, 09:52 PM
s13

797 posts, read 1,279,696 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LINY89 View Post
Maps are objective. Seek one.
Good news, I just checked Google Maps and it had "LINY89" plotted just east of the "way out east" line. Debate settled.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2012, 04:29 AM

909 posts, read 1,836,329 times
I think it has more to do with perception than actual mileage. IMO if your train ride to Penn is more than an hour people think it's far east. Also if you work in NYC and your round trip is more than 50 miles it's considered far.

Old 12-26-2012, 09:23 AM

1,775 posts, read 3,783,157 times
I think its all relative from where your starting point is. When I lived in Queens, I thought anything east of Route 110 was "way out there". Now that I live in Nassau, I'd probably consider 112 as my dividing line. From central Nassau, it really IS a hike to travel to Deer Park, Coram, Patchogue, Stony Brook, Holtsville, etc.

I think Suffolk should really be divided into 2 counties because it is soo big. Once the Sunrise Highway opens up to 3 lanes past the Higbee Road exit, I consider that "far far away land" just as much as when the LIE exits start to feel much further apart around exit 50-55. It feels so far because there really isn't much to look at except trees, road, and some strip malls.....I get calls routinely for part time RE closings in Suffolk where the other person cluelessly asks me if I can cover Farmingdale at 6 pm then hop on over to Bellport at 7:30 pm. As IF! Such person does not know the LIE or traffic jams that I see routinely on east-bound and north-south roads between 4-7 pm on an average weekday and only looks at the map distance and assumes its just a quick drive.. Melville to Huntington even on a weekday in rush hour traffic can still take a good 30-45 minutes. It feels far because we are all crammed into this tiny space of an Island where traffic congestion makes it feel like we are all moving 5 mph.

Old 12-26-2012, 09:28 AM
s13

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegalDiva View Post
I think Suffolk should really be divided into 2 counties because it is soo big.
Convert everything east of 112 into Peconic County... done.

We'll have to give up the Hamptons and Montauk, but at least we get to unload the Mastics and Hellport

Old 12-26-2012, 01:03 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,699,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegalDiva View Post
I think its all relative from where your starting point is. When I lived in Queens, I thought anything east of Route 110 was "way out there". Now that I live in Nassau, I'd probably consider 112 as my dividing line. From central Nassau, it really IS a hike to travel to Deer Park, Coram, Patchogue, Stony Brook, Holtsville, etc.

I think Suffolk should really be divided into 2 counties because it is soo big. Once the Sunrise Highway opens up to 3 lanes past the Higbee Road exit, I consider that "far far away land" just as much as when the LIE exits start to feel much further apart around exit 50-55. It feels so far because there really isn't much to look at except trees, road, and some strip malls.....I get calls routinely for part time RE closings in Suffolk where the other person cluelessly asks me if I can cover Farmingdale at 6 pm then hop on over to Bellport at 7:30 pm. As IF! Such person does not know the LIE or traffic jams that I see routinely on east-bound and north-south roads between 4-7 pm on an average weekday and only looks at the map distance and assumes its just a quick drive.. Melville to Huntington even on a weekday in rush hour traffic can still take a good 30-45 minutes. It feels far because we are all crammed into this tiny space of an Island where traffic congestion makes it feel like we are all moving 5 mph.
The traffic certainly makes it feel worse.

I live 31 miles from my in-laws in Seaford and 31 miles to the outlets in Riverhead. Both take about the same amount of time to reach (little under an hour) however the ride to Seaford feels furthe (and depending on the time of day takes longer) as I am dealing with more traffic.

In general, the east end has been defined as the 5 eastern most towns -- starting with Riverhead. In that case, the William Floyd would be the dividing line.

Old 12-27-2012, 12:05 AM

149 posts, read 360,128 times

Game, set, match. Ronkonkoma is 50 miles from Manhattan, 30 miles from the Queens border, and 67 miles from Montauk (furthest point East). Adding a 3rd county would clearly distinguish a "Central LI" so there is no more stupid "out east" talk when the towns are closer to Manhattan than Montauk.

Old 12-27-2012, 12:54 AM
s13

Quote:
Game, set, match. Ronkonkoma is 50 miles from Manhattan, 30 miles from the Queens border, and 67 miles from Montauk (furthest point East). Adding a 3rd county would clearly distinguish a "Central LI" so there is no more stupid "out east" talk when the towns are closer to Manhattan than Montauk.
Sorry, people who live way out east do not get to suggest county realignments.

Old 12-27-2012, 06:57 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,699,824 times
Quote:

Semantics redux.

Is it that time of the year again when you try to convince everyone that Ronkonkoma isn't far from Manhattan?

Old 12-27-2012, 11:30 PM

149 posts, read 360,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
Semantics redux.

Is it that time of the year again when you try to convince everyone that Ronkonkoma isn't far from Manhattan?
Ronkonkoma is not far from Manhattan. Many people in the Ronk area work in NYC. NYPD, FDNY, Wall St, etc....stop lying to yourself. Is it right next door? No. Is it far? No. It's a little bit of a trip but nothing crazy at all. If you think 1 hour on the train is long you must be 6 years old. It takes 35 minutes just to get from the Queens border to Manhattan, so considering that, Ronkonkoma is not far. It's not even 1 hour from the NYC border. It's about 55 minutes off peak via LIRR and 45 minutes on the express. And that's with 1 million stops. If Ronkonkoma was far from NYC, you would never see NYC cabs in the area, you would never see ads for MSG or the NYPD, you would never see ads for Jets or Giants games. Ronkonkoma is smack in the middle of the island, not out east. If you want to be technical, it's 50 miles from Manhattan and 67 miles from Montauk, so technically it's western LI if you count the entire geographical island as LI. How sad you have not learned geography or that 30-50 miles is not that far to live from the biggest and greatest city in the US. Ronkonkoma is not Greenport...deal with it.

Old 12-28-2012, 02:37 AM
s13

Quote:
Ronkonkoma is not far from Manhattan. Many people in the Ronk area work in NYC. NYPD, FDNY, Wall St, etc....stop lying to yourself. Is it right next door? No. Is it far? No. It's a little bit of a trip but nothing crazy at all. If you think 1 hour on the train is long you must be 6 years old.
An hour from Manhattan? Might as well be Montauk. So, so far away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island