Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2010, 02:36 PM

8,164 posts, read 15,138,090 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebobs View Post
I know that area. I just never knew there was a Sizzler there. Where was the Sizzler?
Corner of mark tree rd,east side of road across from gas station which is on west side.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2010, 10:02 PM

732 posts, read 1,734,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avienne View Post
Which reminds me, he came from what Bay Shore folks considered "out there," in Sayville. I forget if it was Sayville, Oakdale, or Bohemia, but they had a RecordWorld/TSS there.
It's where K-Mart in Sayville is now, I believe. (I don't know, I wasn't around for that. That's what my parents said.)

There was a Roy Rogers in the front of that shopping center, but I believe they demolished it when they built the service road in the mid-90's.

Old 02-02-2010, 08:41 PM

196 posts, read 504,308 times
OK> I got you all beat!!! 1st and Formost OBI >aka Oak Beach Inn! Secondly "Tuttles" Burger Joint on sunrise Highway Babylon/ Bayshore? I was a little Kid,,Finally> A&W in Lindenhurst the Roller Mat,,Gals in skates who hung the Orage trays loaded with food off your window!!! ,OK Who rememebers?

Old 02-03-2010, 08:25 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,366,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoleModel View Post
Well, pretty soon, one thing won't be missing on Long Island - Denny's. They're apparently opening one where Sizzler used to be in Centereach.

I don't know how to react to this
Sorry to be gross...but Denny's gives me the runs. Too much grease for my little body.

Old 02-03-2010, 09:00 AM

4,533 posts, read 8,337,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancet71 View Post
Corner of mark tree rd,east side of road across from gas station which is on west side.
Oh so it was that building that is next to Party City that they're renovating now.

Old 02-03-2010, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Yeah, that center has undergone a lot of changes. There was a Flower Time there for a while, which was where I had my first job.

Come to think if it, there aren't any more Flower Times, are there? My sister's first husband worked for them, which was how I got my first job.

Which reminds me, he came from what Bay Shore folks considered "out there," in Sayville. I forget if it was Sayville, Oakdale, or Bohemia, but they had a RecordWorld/TSS there.

Hmmm, guess I'll have to link to the
RecordWorld/TSS commercial.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoleModel View Post
It's where K-Mart in Sayville is now, I believe. (I don't know, I wasn't around for that. That's what my parents said.)

There was a Roy Rogers in the front of that shopping center, but I believe they demolished it when they built the service road in the mid-90's.
I remember the old TSS and Waldbaums. You could go into both stores without going outside. I used to talk to the guard there. Very nice old man. I don't recall his name though. He had that blue gray uniform with a hat that was the same color but in the shape of a policeman's hat.

Old 02-03-2010, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Come to think if it, there aren't any more Flower Times, are there? My sister's first husband worked for them, which was how I got my first job.
Not on Long Island. I don't even know if they exist anymore. I used to like to go to them at Christmas because they would set aside an area and create these Christmas scenes with moving figures, houses and presents. They stopped doing that in their later years before they totally went out of business.

Old 02-03-2010, 09:18 AM

20,024 posts, read 20,826,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebobs View Post
I remember the old TSS and Waldbaums. You could go into both stores without going outside. I used to talk to the guard there. Very nice old man. I don't recall his name though. He had that blue gray uniform with a hat that was the same color but in the shape of a policeman's hat.
Ha ha! We had that too in Oceanside...
The Village supermarket attatched to TSS.
They were seperated by an accordian bi-fold door/scissor gate complete with uniformed guard!...I used to go to TSS toy department while my parents were grocery shopping. The only time in my life I looked foward to going food shopping. Now if only they could make a Home Depot or Lowes with an attatched grocery store...
The Village later became Foodtown until the whole place shut down and then Foodtown moved accross the street to the "new" Sands Shopping Center.

Old 02-03-2010, 05:01 PM

5,072 posts, read 9,141,532 times
I literally spent hours at a time in the Record Shop at TSS. A big selection and you could often find some out of print stuff in their bins.

Old 02-03-2010, 05:19 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,292,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
Ha ha! We had that too in Oceanside...
The Village supermarket attatched to TSS.
They were seperated by an accordian bi-fold door/scissor gate complete with uniformed guard!...I used to go to TSS toy department while my parents were grocery shopping. The only time in my life I looked foward to going food shopping. Now if only they could make a Home Depot or Lowes with an attatched grocery store...
The Village later became Foodtown until the whole place shut down and then Foodtown moved accross the street to the "new" Sands Shopping Center.
LOL! Same here! We probably ran into each other back then and never knew it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island