Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2009, 09:01 PM

2,940 posts, read 8,321,532 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samrai309 View Post
I miss Chicken Galore. An independent chicken place on Jericho Tpke in New Hyde Park. Covert Avenue to the end and drive straight across into their lot. There is a Dunkin Donuts there now for about 15 years. The chicken was great though.
That's what I forgot...Kenny Rogers roasters!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2009, 09:02 PM

2,940 posts, read 8,321,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by XLIGuy View Post
I miss "Keg", the beer and soda distributor on Rt. 110 in Amityville across from the Jr. High School. We used to sneak out of the schoolyard at lunch and buy cans of C&C cola for 25 cents.

There used to be a Chicken Delight in North Lindenhurst. Fantastic fried chicken. Also, Carlo's Pizza Oven in the Inter-County Shopping Center in East Massapequa. What great pizza. This was back in the 70s, what a long time ago!

In high school, we used to hang outside Windmill Deli on Main Street in East Hampton. Also, Hampton Sound and Long Island Sound were two record shops in East Hampton, back when the downtown catered to the locals more than the uppity summer people. Just a few places I miss alot!
I think there's a Chicken Delight on Maple Ave in Westbury

Old 03-16-2009, 09:04 PM

7,658 posts, read 19,170,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
I used to go to one. I think it was Patchogue (??) when I still had family out in Suffolk and it was near my mom's in Bellport Village. The food was okay, not great, but really where do we have excellent Mexican or Tex-Mex food on Long Island? (Any recommendations I will be glad to try out!) I used to also go to Don Juan's in Westbury a lot but that was more for the "stage shows" on the weekends (I never will forget the "giant scissor dance" for lack of a better explanation), the roving mariachi band, and the screaming tequila girls than the food. Meson Ole was better than Don Juan's foodwise. Boozewise (margarita) they were about the same.
El Mariachi is good in Coram and RVC.

crooks

Old 03-16-2009, 09:17 PM

5,072 posts, read 9,144,053 times
Big Barry's and the Shotgun Blast!

Old 03-16-2009, 09:40 PM

8,164 posts, read 15,141,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johninwestbury View Post
I got a long list of these. Arby's, common in the 80s, and came back to Broadway Mall recently but the one in Broadway closed, along with a whole bunch of other places (Astoria Federal, Gap, Tina's Luggage, also gone). Why couldn't they come to Roosevelt Field instead?
There used to be a few locations of a sandwich shop called Diangelo&Chips, they had large sub style sandwiches that were cooked and hot, loved the beef one. Subway only has cold food and "toasted" bread, not my thing.
Krispy Kreme, way better than Dunkin Donuts. Fresh, sugary donuts with NO LARD, Dunkin tastes like cardboard with skimpy icing. Also Krispy Kreme was much cleaner and the workers spoke english, unlike DD.
The Deli at Sunrise, before the Sunrise Mall put in a food court they had this great little deli there.
Sizzler...OK I think there's one left on LI, in Smithtown, but there used to be many more, in Wantagh, Hicksville, Lynbrook and several other locations. Long John Silvers in Patchogue, McMichaels for fish.
Cherrywood Pizza in Wantagh, when I was a kid living around there my family would always get pizza from there, it unfortunately has become an Umberto's (owned by Sbarro...yuck).
In the old Roosevelt Field there was this place called Mut and Jeff which used to have great cookies. I miss Roy Rogers as well, though there's still one in Shirley, I believe.
That was food places. Then there were all the CD stores, especially the used CD stores. The best place was EMPIRE DISCS on Stewart Ave and was real upset when they just closed up out of the blue. Their space remains empty.
Only place left is Mr.Cheapo, very limited selection and expensive.
I miss the smaller electronics shops as well such as Electronic City, used to be one in Mid-Island Plaza (now Broadway Mall) and in New Hyde Park.
A fair amount of frozen yogurt chains have closed up too, such as TCBY (there's still one in Plainview). There just seems to be less reasonable places to eat these days, the new places are usually expensive upscale places. That's how it's changed I guess. It just annoys me to no end that many of these chains, such as Arby's, Roy Rogers, Sizzler, Krispy Creme seem to have plenty of locations outside of Long Island, but not here. Also places like Sonic and Dairy Queen never have existed here.
Krispy Kreme BLOWS!!! DD-way better!
Roy Rogers-Shirley,Sizzler-Smithtown.
Dairy Queen been to many times out of NY and it has gone downhill a little but I like Sonic; L.I. could use one.

Old 03-16-2009, 09:41 PM

8,164 posts, read 15,141,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkstreetkid View Post
big barry's and the shotgun blast!
yes!!!

Old 03-16-2009, 10:00 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,150,229 times
Quote:

A fair amount of frozen yogurt chains have closed up too, such as TCBY (there's still one in Plainview).
If you go on their website, you'll find TEN locations on Long Island (we have one in downtown Huntington ).

Old 03-17-2009, 06:35 AM

13,510 posts, read 17,032,823 times
Quote:
It just annoys me to no end that many of these chains, such as Arby's, Roy Rogers, Sizzler, Krispy Creme seem to have plenty of locations outside of Long Island, but not here. Also places like Sonic and Dairy Queen never have existed here.
Too expensive to operate on LI, I guess. There is an Arby's off the LIE in Queens. I'll probably stop there on the way to a Mets game this year.

Old 03-17-2009, 07:07 AM

2,335 posts, read 4,150,246 times
To those of you missing DQ or Jack in the Box come on down to Texas...we've still got em here!

Had 2 tacos a few weeks back; 2 for .99!

Old 03-17-2009, 07:23 AM

7,658 posts, read 19,170,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancet71 View Post
Krispy Kreme BLOWS!!! DD-way better!
Roy Rogers-Shirley,Sizzler-Smithtown.
Dairy Queen been to many times out of NY and it has gone downhill a little but I like Sonic; L.I. could use one.

Dude

sonic=checkers.

and they both blow.

We could use a Cracker Barrel though.

crooks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island