Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2009, 06:43 AM

407 posts, read 966,961 times

Advertisements

I grew up in The Bronx (live on LI now), but my best friend lived in Brentwood. I used to spend a lot of time there......I remember the paint pots and arrowheads....very cool things to a kid from the city. We also used to walk the tracks into town and hit Jackinthe Box and (ssshhh) steal bagels and rolls from in front of the bakery at like 3AM. Back then they used to just drop them off and leave them outside the store. Fun times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post
Beach glass.
We would find it all the time on the shore.
Indian paintpots and arrowheads.
Once ubiquitous, now gone forever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2009, 06:47 AM

91 posts, read 270,585 times
Speaking of cheap burger joints no longer with us: April's which used to be on MCR in Selden. The greasiest, saltiest, fattest (and most satisying and best-tasting)french fries I've ever had along with a decent, cheap burgers. I think the small-sized fries were like $.17 an order, with the burgers about the same price. Like Pan Am...."gone, but not forgotten"!

Old 03-18-2009, 06:53 AM

4,698 posts, read 8,759,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
Arthur Treachers Fish 'n Chips dammit! They still offer some Arthur Treachers meals at the Nathans near me, but it's not the same.

The original McD and BK Dollar menu's were the bomb back in the day...
McD's had the McRib Jr and the Mac Jr. BK had the jalapeno poppers! loved them!
There were way more choices, but they keep messing with it and shrinking it at both places.

I do miss Arby's as well. Had one in O'side when I was a kid. I thought there were 2 Arby's still on LI? isn't there one in the Sunrise Mall too?
Had a Roy Rogers in O'side too. I've had the urge to stop at the one in Shirley many times, but for some reason I just haven't. Does it have a drive through? I don't remember...going to W. Hampton tomorrow, maybe it'll be the day I finally stop at RR's...
where was the Roy's in Oceanside?

Old 03-18-2009, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancet71 View Post
The Wiz-they sucked,always had better deals at PC Richards
How about Record World by Modell's in Centereach(bubble gum records)
Miniature Golf behind McDonalds also in Centereach
El Torito
Music Den(Rt 347 Port Jeff Station)
Carringtons
Spankys
good thing about the Wiz was that just about every CD was 11.99. Nobody else had them that cheap.

Old 03-18-2009, 07:06 AM

438 posts, read 831,948 times
Does anyone remember the uniquely-shaped wooden parkway lights and wooden guard-rails on the Southern and Northern State Pkwys? I wish I had a picture of them. Actually, if I remember right..they were on all of the parkways..Bethpage, Wantagh, Meadowbrook, Sunken Meadow, Sagtikos. Sounds silly to miss something as nondescript as wooden light poles but they made the parkways more distinct than they look today. I guess it is called "progress".

My older brother was so intrigued by their design that he actually drew one for an art assignment in school. I think he got an "A" for it!

Last edited by XLIGuy; 03-18-2009 at 07:10 AM.. Reason: added text

Old 03-18-2009, 07:11 AM

13,511 posts, read 17,034,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.B. View Post
good thing about the Wiz was that just about every CD was 11.99. Nobody else had them that cheap.
Yep. I used to buy all of my Cd's there.

How about Herman's sporting goods? Another blast from the past.

Or "Krovettes" in Patchogue on Sunrise where the abandoned Home Depot is now.

Old 03-18-2009, 07:30 AM

67 posts, read 360,613 times
I miss the Swensons that used to be in the Americana in Manhasset.

Old 03-18-2009, 07:54 AM

anyone used to get Party Balls of beer? do they even sell them anymore around here?

Old 03-18-2009, 09:19 AM

1,302 posts, read 3,306,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.B. View Post
anyone used to get Party Balls of beer? do they even sell them anymore around here?
I think Party Balls have gone the way of "Zima"...or "Tequiza"...

Old 03-18-2009, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
Yep. I used to buy all of my Cd's there.

How about Herman's sporting goods? Another blast from the past.

Or "Krovettes" in Patchogue on Sunrise where the abandoned Home Depot is now.
I used to go to the one in South Shore Mall in Bay Shore all the time. They were much better than Sports Authority.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island