U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2009, 04:52 AM

63 posts, read 275,795 times

Advertisements

Hi
We are thinking of moving to West Babylon possibly West Islip and would like to hear from anyone with experience with the schools there.

Do they have full inclusion?
Do they have a gifted program? (TAG, enrichment, etc)

I've been on their webites, but am looking for experiences with the district. Any info would be great!

Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2009, 05:57 AM

1,056 posts, read 1,897,511 times
white islip is great. check it out before thinking of going oto west babylon.

Old 03-18-2009, 06:28 AM

7,658 posts, read 17,899,300 times
Theyre both fine.
West Islip would have the edge school wise but I wouldnt hesitate with either.
Not sure about the specific programs.

crooks

Old 03-18-2009, 01:17 PM

153 posts, read 357,355 times
With 2 kids in West Babylon schools,I'm a fan. Both kids are excelling in AP classes. Extra curriculars and sports are numerous. Scheduling is well thought out with school bus service late to get kids home after practices, games, activities when parents are stuck at work. I am unsure if it's inclusison or not. It's not exactly a melting pot but it does have some diversity, more than W Islip as I understand it.

Solid school, faculty and involved parents.

Old 03-18-2009, 03:09 PM

131 posts, read 573,477 times
I have 2 kids in the West Islip School District, we like it here. Teachers are very very caring. Not sure of AP classes since kids are young. High School has a swimming pool so my kids get swimming lessons on Sat morning for $35 for about 2 months or so. The high school swim team actually teach the kids, it's really nice to see the students wake up early on a Sat morning to teach these younger kids. This perk is only available if you live in the town of West Islip. Great sports programs and some of the best coaches I have ever met. West Islip is not diverse at all, very few minorities. West Islip does seem to have larger properties vs West Babylon. When we were looking the average home in WI was 75x150 vs 40-60x100 for West Babylon.

Anthony

Old 03-19-2009, 01:18 AM

2,845 posts, read 9,841,224 times
West Islip seems pretty stuck up, honestly not a very big fan of either. Lindenhurst is a good compromise between the two, I've heard their special ed program is one of the better ones in Suffolk as well....at least according to posts on here.

Old 03-19-2009, 04:13 AM

7,801 posts, read 9,336,158 times
In regards to West Islip, it depends what you mean by special needs ... I am partially deaf (wear hearing aids) and was a resource room student yet I was classified as special needs but had full inclusion except for resource room. The high school has (as of 2006 anyhow) something called the Academic Learning Center where kids can go to get extra help on the homework or whatever they are learning in class during their lunch or a break period. Their are Honors and AP classes in almost all the core classes (ex. their is AP Chem, Honors Chem, AP World History, etc) and there were alot of interesting electives from a criminal justice class and a Public Speaking and Debate class to a class on the Vietnam War.

The students who have actual special needs (ex. those with autism) ARE NOT full inclusion (again, as of when I graduated in 2006) and are kept in either 1 of the 2 special needs classrooms. They also have their own self contained special needs gym class and are all assigned to a certain lunch period.

Old 03-19-2009, 07:46 AM

4,469 posts, read 7,869,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean sean sean sean View Post
West Islip seems pretty stuck up, honestly not a very big fan of either. Lindenhurst is a good compromise between the two, I've heard their special ed program is one of the better ones in Suffolk as well....at least according to posts on here.
based on what?

Old 03-21-2009, 06:53 AM

63 posts, read 275,795 times
you have all pointed out some of the pros and cons of both districts (lot sizes, demographics). we currently live in babylon village and are quite familiar with both areas, just not what is specifically offered in regards to the schools. the swimming program in west islip is news to me-- so thanks for that info. and the attentino to transportation/bussing in west babylon is also something i didn't know. thanks for that too.
i know west islip also has a dance program after school.

anyone with info on the gifted and talented? or the special ed aspects of either school?

thanks again.....you guys are great!

Old 03-22-2009, 07:35 PM

94 posts, read 275,579 times
what about North Babylon Schools???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island