Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2009, 08:26 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times

Advertisements

dont be scared but keep reading i find that CDF is a wonderful little window to the world around me. sure does not look much like CNN.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2009, 08:30 AM

7,658 posts, read 19,173,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomMoser View Post
Also good choices. I would add Commack, too.

Agreed, Id still give my slight advantage to Kings Park.

Crooks

Old 03-20-2009, 08:35 AM

2,666 posts, read 7,336,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrorke View Post
Wow, after reading some of these threads I think I should lock my doors and not even think about putting my house on the market.
What in heck should we do?
Mrorke,
I cannot advice you much about which areas are nicer and you have plenty of people here who are already drowning you with opinions....

What I can tell you surely is that if you are planning to sell and upgrade to a new house, then this is a good time as the upper end of the housing market seems to be losing more value than the middle.... For example a 600k house may be available to you for 500k now... even though your 400k house will now sell for say 350k.... these are just random figures I have put down, but you see my point ?

Old 03-20-2009, 08:45 AM

1,302 posts, read 3,306,747 times
Quote:
Wow, after reading some of these threads I think I should lock my doors and not even think about putting my house on the market.

We are starting to look at houses in the Northport, Commack, Three Village, Elwood and Mt. Sinai school districts and some of what I've read freaks me out. (These areas are close to where we both work.)

We are just a regular, working/middle class family looking for a nice community, welcoming neighbors, and a good school. We are quiet, not given to hosting loud parties, keep our yard neat, our house well-kept and are nice neighbors.

We can't afford a McMansion with high taxes so we know we will always have one of the smaller homes in the neighborhood and that's fine with us. I just don't want to move to an area where (according to here) if you are new you will be given the cold shoulder (Mt. Sinai) or the district has a better reputation in the newspaper than in reality (Three Village).

As one poster alluded to opinions of a few in an anonymous forum are often overblown. And we all know that everyone likes to complain/rant more than praise...that is simply human nature. All of the areas you have listed are quite fine, and in my opinion a mix of the type of community you seek. I would second the thoughts of adding Kings Park to your list and also toss in Nesconset. We have close family in that area, (Smithtown schools) and have attended many elementary school functions there. It is a really nice small community that has pockets of affordabiltiy relative to areas like St. James, etc. I have little experience with Nesconset/Sachem schools, but imagine it would be similar. With your attitude and approach I would welcome you into my neighborhood with open arms. Smithtown can be heavy on taxes, but I am surrounded by small ranches and big spot builds. It ranges, but I have never encountered snobbery.

If you research all of the areas your mentioned, pop into the pizza places, hit the local 7-11, etc, you will find that most of the towns from Mt. Sinai-Elwood have many options for you. Good luck in your search.

Old 03-20-2009, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrprofess View Post
As one poster alluded to opinions of a few in an anonymous forum are often overblown. And we all know that everyone likes to complain/rant more than praise...that is simply human nature. All of the areas you have listed are quite fine, and in my opinion a mix of the type of community you seek. I would second the thoughts of adding Kings Park to your list and also toss in Nesconset. We have close family in that area, (Smithtown schools) and have attended many elementary school functions there. It is a really nice small community that has pockets of affordabiltiy relative to areas like St. James, etc. I have little experience with Nesconset/Sachem schools, but imagine it would be similar. With your attitude and approach I would welcome you into my neighborhood with open arms. Smithtown can be heavy on taxes, but I am surrounded by small ranches and big spot builds. It ranges, but I have never encountered snobbery.

If you research all of the areas your mentioned, pop into the pizza places, hit the local 7-11, etc, you will find that most of the towns from Mt. Sinai-Elwood have many options for you. Good luck in your search.

JRP whas that litte area of Smithown that goes to Hauppauge?

Maybe thats an option?

crooks

Old 03-20-2009, 02:11 PM

1,302 posts, read 3,306,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
JRP whas that litte area of Smithown that goes to Hauppauge?

Maybe thats an option?

crooks
The Pines...could be an option. I find the area uneven given the perception that it is an upper end neighborhood. By uneven I mean there are plenty of older ranch style and high ranches alongside McMansions. Could be better options though. The industrial park gives the homes a nice tax break at least.

Old 03-20-2009, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrprofess View Post
The Pines...could be an option. I find the area uneven given the perception that it is an upper end neighborhood. By uneven I mean there are plenty of older ranch style and high ranches alongside McMansions. Could be better options though. The industrial park gives the homes a nice tax break at least.

Nice area....taxes are a beargain for Smithtown.

Love the hills, reminds me a little of home .

Old 03-29-2009, 07:25 AM

1 posts, read 1,484 times
Quote:

We are starting to look at houses in the Northport, Commack, Three Village, Elwood and Mt. Sinai school districts and some of what I've read freaks me out. (These areas are close to where we both work.)

We are just a regular, working/middle class family looking for a nice community, welcoming neighbors, and a good school. We are quiet, not given to hosting loud parties, keep our yard neat, our house well-kept and are nice neighbors.

We can't afford a McMansion with high taxes so we know we will always have one of the smaller homes in the neighborhood and that's fine with us. I just don't want to move to an area where (according to here) if you are new you will be given the cold shoulder (Mt. Sinai) or the district has a better reputation in the newspaper than in reality (Three Village).

I grew up in East Setauket and went to 3 village from k-12, graduated from Ward Melville in 1992. There are many pros and cons...

I am just a middle class girl myself and this was a difficult experience for me. There is a ridiculous amount of money in 3 village and the competitive/materialistic nature of the area is tremendous. On the other hand, if your children are college bound (even if they are not) they will receive an undeniably excellent public education. It depends very much upon your own personalities and those of your children. Personally, being a middle class girl, I didn't handle it very well. But my older sister, who is "gifted", was very successful. Being a child who struggled academically, I did not find I was counted among the students who would achieve and give 3 village the glowing stats they so covet. I am 34 however, and things may have changed since then. Also consider cost of living... Personally, I would never go back to 3 village or any other "exclusive" part of LI to live. I hope this helps.

Old 03-29-2009, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katharine7 View Post
I grew up in East Setauket and went to 3 village from k-12, graduated from Ward Melville in 1992. There are many pros and cons...

I am just a middle class girl myself and this was a difficult experience for me. There is a ridiculous amount of money in 3 village and the competitive/materialistic nature of the area is tremendous. On the other hand, if your children are college bound (even if they are not) they will receive an undeniably excellent public education. It depends very much upon your own personalities and those of your children. Personally, being a middle class girl, I didn't handle it very well. But my older sister, who is "gifted", was very successful. Being a child who struggled academically, I did not find I was counted among the students who would achieve and give 3 village the glowing stats they so covet. I am 34 however, and things may have changed since then. Also consider cost of living... Personally, I would never go back to 3 village or any other "exclusive" part of LI to live. I hope this helps.

I tend to agree.
My post 3V Class of 198? Middle Class sensibilities brought us to Rocky Point for very similar reasons.

I wanted to keep my children right sized. I didnt see much of what I had growing up in 3V left when it came time for us to buy in 2000.

Dont get me wrong, 3V is beautiful and has outstanding schools, but for me theres much more to an education that exists beyond the classroom.

I really liked what I saw in the working class character and beachfront charm of this community.
It reminded me of growing up in 3V back in 198? except without the North of 25A absurdity.

Crooks

Old 03-29-2009, 02:21 PM

76 posts, read 179,487 times
Wow, I am honestly surprised by the amount of flak 3V is receiving in this thread. I currently live in Stony Brook and can say that it's not all about keeping up with the Jones's around here. I live in the more working class section of SB (probably the same community that Crooks grew up in). The econonomic diversity here is quite amazing. Granted there is a certain baseline family income level that comes with living in a town where the cheapest homes still sell for 400K plus. But, I can say that among my neighbors are store clerks, construction workers, lawyers, accountantants, doctors, and bankers. Quite an impressive cross-section!! Yes, it may be easy to see who is doing well (ex. lexus in the driveway, remodeling trucks in the driveway) and those who are of more modest means (ex. Jeep and mowing their own lawn), but I have never sensed any form of snobbery. Neighbors around here help each other out, talk to each other when they go on walks, and are generally friendly. Pretty much a picture perfect suburb.

I suspect the reason that some people on this forum who opted against the 3V area for regions farther east (ex. Rocky Point) is because either they could not afford it or because they do not work in the city. Living in Rocky Point easily adds another half hour to your commute if you work in NYC. I have never seen a list that ranks LI schools, but I would suspect that 3V is better that more eastern schools.

As far as your children being the have-nots in the neighborhood, I don't see how this is a valid argument at all. If you are a good parent, you will raise level-headed, non-jealous children no matter where you live. Trust me, no kids in 3V are suffering because their parents drive Fords instead of Mercedes. Not many people here have to deal with abject poverty.
In addition, being a "have-not" in one's childhood isn't necessarily a bad thing. Personally, being on the lower-end of the economic scale in my town inspired me to work hard enough so that I may attain a job that pays well enough to afford the luxuries of the better-off in 3V. It is for this reason that I worked my @ss off in school and found good (and stable) employment with a bank on Wall St. This is more than I can say for the majority of my rich friends who majored in worthless degrees like "English" and "Theater" because mommy and daddy said "do what makes you happy" and, as a result, are not only unemployed, but unemployable. But, let's not worry about them b/c they have trust funds to live off of.

Moral of the story: Your town is what you make of it. In 3V you will have a much easier time making the most of your town beacause the schools are top notch and you won't age pre-maturely due to extensively long commute times. Dare I say people in Rocky Point and various points east are a little JEALOUS of their 3V brethren?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island