Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2009, 03:53 AM

5,047 posts, read 5,798,022 times

Advertisements

Ok, please tell me how the volunteers in Gordon Heights Fire District, can justify a $20,000 dinner ; spending that kind of money on one night.

When most of us living here are paycheck to paycheck.

We dont have the $1,000 bracelet like that one which was ordered. How about using the fire dept building for a night out, decorate it, cater it and enjoy the night.

Maybe invite the tax payers who are paying 4 times the average fire tax just to keep these people in the lifestyle they have become accustomed to.

its time for them to realize that we are not made of money. Its a total disgrace that you can try to justify a night costing $20,000.

By the way, I think volunteers are wonderful ; you do a great job. But being called to my development three times in almost 5 years dosnt warrant a fire district that is totally out of control with finances.

d
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2009, 04:23 AM

1,051 posts, read 2,976,051 times
Please Calm down, and explain the details, about your fire district.

What's the $1000 bracelet about ? What was the dinner for ?

Sounds interesting, but give us details, ok ?

Old 03-20-2009, 05:18 AM

347 posts, read 1,351,671 times
I have heard so much noise about the Gordon Heights fire district and the outrageous taxes the residents pay there. I even saw a heated discussion about it at a Brookhaven town board meeting on Cablevision channel 18. Why won't anyone do anything about it? These people living there should not be subject to the outrageous taxes that are, if I recall correctly, more than double my fire district taxes. Maybe I don't have all the facts, but why can't they just eliminate the district and use the surrounding ones? Who is at fault here?

Reading this Newsday article, it seems pretty messed up to me. 190 guests at Villa Lombardi's for a 50-person volunteer force? C'mon guys...this is just not right. Do you have to invite almost 4x the number of actual members of the department? Do you have to go to Villa Lombardi's, instead of a more modest place? This is just so disrespectful to the local residents who are struggling to pay their bills, it is just disgraceful. And I really have a lot of respect for volunteer firefighters, but some restraint in these hard economic times would be a good idea.

http://www.newsday.com/news/local/suffolk/ny-ligord2012565321mar20,0,7765510.story (broken link)

Last edited by villager-li; 03-20-2009 at 05:30 AM..

Old 03-20-2009, 05:31 AM

The politicians, and their minions, SERVE THE PEOPLE.

Silence is consent.

Old 03-20-2009, 08:30 AM

I live in the Gordon Heights Fire District. It is outrageous the amount of fire taxes we pay. It is about $2400 a year for the fire district alone ; most other areas pay $500-$600.

We are trying our hardest to merge with other districts. But the main issue the Fire District has is that it was the first black fire district here. Now that was all fine and good in 1940, but this is 2009 and we just cannot afford it anymore. Recently there was an emergency call next door to my house. The Yaphank fire district was there at least 10 minutes before the Gordon Heights Fire District. Luckily it was only a smoke alarm, but still.

It is a disgrace ; when so many people are struggling ; this is put in our face. Now seeing as we pay for this dinner, can we go too!!! I have never been in Villa Lombardi's. I have one piece of jewelary that cost over $1000 and that was my wedding ring. But its ok, I paid for it myself ; not the tax payers.

Old 03-20-2009, 12:44 PM

7,800 posts, read 10,101,805 times
Personally I think it's time to disband the volunteer fire departments and (where they exist) seperate ambulance companies in every little hamlet, village and CDP and create township fire department's that would be a combination of career and volunteer personnel plus civilian staff. These town FD's would also handle all EMS services meaning no more Bay Shore-Brightwaters Ambulance or Islip Exchange Ambulance.

I think it's rediculus whats going on with Gordon Heights, enough is enough.

Old 03-20-2009, 01:28 PM

We have been trying to disband our district. We have signed petitions at least twice ; once it was thrown out because of a technicality. Finally it was accepted.We have gone door to door with flyers, trying to educate neighbours to this blatant disgrace.
In the past election, there were people who voted in the fire district that didnt live in the district. That race was lost by 3 votes ; guess how many people voted that didnt live in the district ; 3-4.

The Gordon heights Fire District certainely did their job. But for this day and age, we jsut cannot afford it. And then to buy jewelry with district money ; come on. Then they say its a racial thing ; absolutely not. It is a green thing ; the color of money. We just cannot afford it anymore. We need to make others outside the district aware of the abuse that is going on, that our taxpayer money is paying for. in 2007 they bought new trucks. How can they justify spending money in todays economy ; shouldnt they want to save as much money!!!!

thanks for listening to my vent.

Old 03-22-2009, 06:31 AM

Critics: Gordon Heights fire district spends on jewelry -- Newsday.com (http://www.newsday.com/news/local/suffolk/ny-ligord2012565321mar20,0,7765510.story - broken link)

Old 03-22-2009, 07:57 PM

7,922 posts, read 9,144,940 times
I think all the fire districts have an annual installation dinner. I know Franklin Square does, and it is quite pricey. We also have all the nice toys....ladder trucks that can reach heights that we don't have (no apartment buildings here), million dollar "pit" to change the truck's oil (what does that cost per oil change?)

Kind of reminds me of the old Flintstones cartoon when Fred and Barney were volunteers. Every nite at 7 pm sharp the whistle would ring, and they'd go shoot pool at the firehouse. Finally Wilma and Betty wondered how anything could burn when the whole town was made of rock.

Seriously, we should be thankful for the volunteers, but I also wish they'd think twice before spending so much money on things that aren't really needed.

Old 03-22-2009, 10:39 PM

Taxpayers are going to be, a little, less tolerant of ANYTHING, that "smells" of "waste" and "over-spending".

It's not to say, it won't be because of secretly "trying", but their pitchforks are being sharpened, so these OLD-TIMEY-type, spend thrifts are going to have to do LOTS of scuttling around, explainin' !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island