Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2009, 09:38 AM

14 posts, read 82,398 times

Advertisements

Hi I am currently looking for a nursery school program for my 2-1/2 year old daughter in the Williston Park area. She has huge separation anxiety and doesn't socialize that well with kids her age. However, I would like to start her off on a part-time program first and if she responds well, have the option of increasing her hours.

There are 4 nurseries in which I would like to hear more feedback from parents:

1) Romper Room (Williston Park)
The facilities seem small here. Have not gone for the site visit yet. For the parents who are familiar with the program, how do you rate it?

2) Shelter Rock Jewish Center (Roslyn)
When I went for the school visit, the classes seemed small and the kids happy. The teachers encouraged the kids to free play and did not seem to have an iron fist over how the schedule was run. For age 3 class, they teach alphabets and in the age 4 class, they emphasize writing and early scientific exploration. They had the kids color drawings of the human organs and speak about hypothosizing on simple science experiments. While this scientific exposure is nice, I wonder how much the kids really understood it?

For the parents who are familiar with the program, how do you rate it? We are not Jewish, but the school seems open to families of other religions.

3) Harbor Daycare (Herricks area, border of Williston Park)
I did a brief site tour, but was unable to schedule a guided tour yet. The teachers seem tired and the kids run wild, due to the extended schedule of the school day (7 am to 6 pm). This program only has a full-day option, so I don't think this is the best option for my daughter now (due to her separation anxiety and shy personality). But I would like to keep it in mind for next year enrollment when she is older. Considering the long hours offered, the tuition is reasonable. Would like to hear additional comments on this school program.

4) St. Aidan (Williston Park)
The tuition price is attractive and the school has nice technologies. However, the day seems to be run on a very tight schedule. All the teachers I spoke with (from age 2 classes to 1st grade onwards) emphasized structure, discipline, and order. While I am impressed with the academic skills they emphasize, the class structure seemed to discourage creativity and early exploration from the kids. If you have additional feedback, please let me know.

If there are other nursery programs near Williston Park area please let me know. Again, we are looking for a half-day program, 3-5 days each week for my 2-1/2 year old. Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2017, 10:20 PM

1 posts, read 1,023 times
Hi just out of curiousity where did your daughter end up going . My son is 18 months . I am also
Looking for few hours a day for him to spend in educational setting while he fights off his separation anxiety . Thanks in advance for your help !

Old 08-02-2017, 07:40 AM

487 posts, read 545,411 times
For your 18 month old child, perhaps consider doing a "mommy and me" program. This will give your child exposure to a classroom setting and will enable him to start socializing with other children, learning how to share, separating from you a bit even though you are in the room ...... all while having fun. Some schools offer transition programs which is a bridge from mommy and me to a 2's/toddler program. I believe Temple Beth Sholom in Roslyn offers this transition program (they did in the past). You do not have to be of the Jewish faith to join this program.

In my opinion, nursery school should be about separation, learning to share, developing social skills, language development/exposure to language skills and strengthening fine and gross motor skills ....... all while being exposured to new learning experiences. Some children just don't develop these important skills prior to entering kindergarten. Parents want to push reading and writing earlier and earlier when children are not developmentally ready. Other skills need too be developed first. All children level off at some point.

We should have children participating in interactive socializing and learning rather than holding computers in their hands.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island