Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2009, 09:57 AM

21 posts, read 76,842 times

Advertisements

I think from what I understand I would be starting out making around $50,000. I heard to not pay more than 30% of your income for rent. So I'm assuming my max would be $15,000 a year/$1250 a month maximum for rent.

Is that accurate and will I even be able to find anything in that price range in the area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2009, 10:08 AM

1,010 posts, read 3,931,272 times
Lake Success doesn't really have reliable public transportation. (LI Bus does not count!) If you lived in Great Neck, your commute would be very short, like 10-15 minutes. Bayside would be a bit longer. Both of these have a very quick trip into NYC. Long Beach would be more like 40 minutes, with a 55 minute train trip to the city.

I'd recommend looking on Craigslist to see what's available.

Old 03-26-2009, 11:53 AM

283 posts, read 581,597 times
Glen Oaks Coops are right next door to lake success, they do have rentals and you woudl have a very quick commute. more suburban though Glen Oaks Village, Queens, NY

Old 03-26-2009, 02:33 PM

330 posts, read 888,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSUgrad View Post
I think from what I understand I would be starting out making around $50,000. I heard to not pay more than 30% of your income for rent. So I'm assuming my max would be $15,000 a year/$1250 a month maximum for rent.

Is that accurate and will I even be able to find anything in that price range in the area?
I lived in bayside and worked in lake success for 3 years. The money should be fine. I had a roomate and paid 800 a month for a 2 bedroom, found a random roommate on craigslist and it worked out fine. For a studio or 1 bdrm, the 1000-1250 range should work out. There are some nice places near the train station if you can get one, but there are a lot of dumps too, parking is a pain near the train but doable. I dont think there is much public transportation to lake success, but if you can drive you should, because its easy and convenient.

Lake success is basically great neck. My communte from bayside train station to Lake sucess center took maybe 10 minutes or less. It reverse commute, reverse flow of NYC traffic and really its only a couple miles. It does depend on where you live and work in each respecive area, it could be 15 minutes if you are on the outskirts of each town.

Long beach is a bit further and the commute is not reverse flow, it is with the rush hour traffic. Anywhere between 30 min on a good day to 1 hr if it rains or other problems.

Old 05-02-2009, 08:20 PM

3 posts, read 6,467 times
Hey there
I would go with bayside as well. You are young and for someone new to NY, I would recommend a hybrid city/suburb so that you can get the best of both worlds. I imagine that you would want to hang out in manhattan pretty often...the long island railroad commute from bayside to the city is a short 20 min ride. Plus the drive to lake success is very quick and convenient from bayside...both cities are on the north shore etc. great neck (where lake success is) is too expensive for you for now...it's an great town but I would use the money saved on bayside rent to hang out in the city and take advantage of all that manhattan has to offer ...bars, museums, plays etc. You are going to have a blast!! good luck girl!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island