Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2009, 03:42 PM

8,814 posts, read 21,277,348 times

Advertisements

I think I was more or less addressing parents of special needs children in this forum, not really people who don't deal with this or have an understanding of disorders.

Actually I was a Special Ed supervisor so I do have an idea of "disorders". There is a forum on city-data under "Parenting" which might answer your questions.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2009, 09:25 AM

5 posts, read 12,239 times
I am new to the city data forum having discovered it less than an hour ago. I am experiencing many of the same frustrations here on Long Island trying to get services for my son who will be changing schools this fall. He will be making the move to middle school and I am worried about his ability to make it without a scribe( his handwriting is slow and illegible), greater intervention in social skill development,(he has no friends even though he is a great kid) etc. I just went to his annual review this week ( in Garden City). It was so non-productive it was pathetic. I brought an Asperger's consultant to the meeting with me and they basically ignored her. It was insulting. Any wisdom someone might be able to share with me about Nassau County and available options for a child/adolescent such as mine? We moved to Long Island not quite 2 years ago and school has been a nightmare. I might as well be home schooling. Both of us are isolated because all we do is homework. At this point, both of us need a break. Any good support group anyone could recommend would be wonderful. I am also looking for a social skills group for my son. Are there better districts for him in Nassau County? Anyone have any opinion regarding special ed/middle school for Asperger's in Great Neck School District? Thanks in advance for any insight!

Old 08-28-2009, 06:18 PM

496 posts, read 1,251,168 times
I want to revive to this thread as i had recently had my first hand experience with public school district special ed. summary of our issue hoping to see if anyone has a suggestion for me as to how to go about this:
my daughter was evaluated by S. country district in february for speech but they said let's test her for everything. we did and she ranked either average or high for her age. now i am getting ready to send her to kindergarten and she will attend a parochial school. in meantime my daughter has had an unexplained hearing loss in one ear and while we do all the tests ordered by the ENT, the ENT also suggested and wrote a script for the school to provide my daughter with something called FM suspem (a mic. hooked on the teacher and for my daughter so the noise form other students gets isolated and my daughter is able to hear the teacher better), as it is ENT's opinion that my daughter will miss about 30 per cent of what will be said in class without this radio.
i called the parochial school who days later put me in touch with a lady from special ed. from the public school district. recap of my conversation with the special ed. person:
my daughter does not quality for special ed. therefore they will not provide her with this radio. i thought i heard wrong being that english is not my first language so i asked whether my daughter will be provided with the radio if she starts school and falls behind due to not being able to hear well. the answer was yes. so i did understand the first time. i asked again wouldn't it be better for the student to have everything possible for her not to fall behind, and i was told that that is WHAT THE LAW says.
so at this point i don't know where to get this radio. called the insurance and that didn't get me anywhere. they actually had no idea what i was asking for. called the pediatrician who said will send a letter for the school district. called the ENT who said she needs the radio, and that is the only way for my daughter to get equipped with this radio. what do i do?
i mean, i can barely contain my anger talking to the special ed. person. i don't understand the logic behind her position on this, nor this law that says let the child fall behind to qualify for special ed. then test her, let months pass, see if she qualifies and if she does then let's give her the radio.
i would like to not lose all this time so i guess what i am asking is:
is there a way for an individual to buy this radio?
if not
do i keep calling this special ed., person until she gets tired of me and let's us have it?
do i ask for a meeting with the school board so i can present my daughter's case?
or am i missing something?
thanks

Old 08-28-2009, 11:47 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,150,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vlorak View Post
I want to revive to this thread as i had recently had my first hand experience with public school district special ed. summary of our issue hoping to see if anyone has a suggestion for me as to how to go about this:
my daughter was evaluated by S. country district in february for speech but they said let's test her for everything. we did and she ranked either average or high for her age. now i am getting ready to send her to kindergarten and she will attend a parochial school. in meantime my daughter has had an unexplained hearing loss in one ear and while we do all the tests ordered by the ENT, the ENT also suggested and wrote a script for the school to provide my daughter with something called FM suspem (a mic. hooked on the teacher and for my daughter so the noise form other students gets isolated and my daughter is able to hear the teacher better), as it is ENT's opinion that my daughter will miss about 30 per cent of what will be said in class without this radio.
i called the parochial school who days later put me in touch with a lady from special ed. from the public school district. recap of my conversation with the special ed. person:
my daughter does not quality for special ed. therefore they will not provide her with this radio. i thought i heard wrong being that english is not my first language so i asked whether my daughter will be provided with the radio if she starts school and falls behind due to not being able to hear well. the answer was yes. so i did understand the first time. i asked again wouldn't it be better for the student to have everything possible for her not to fall behind, and i was told that that is WHAT THE LAW says.
so at this point i don't know where to get this radio. called the insurance and that didn't get me anywhere. they actually had no idea what i was asking for. called the pediatrician who said will send a letter for the school district. called the ENT who said she needs the radio, and that is the only way for my daughter to get equipped with this radio. what do i do?
i mean, i can barely contain my anger talking to the special ed. person. i don't understand the logic behind her position on this, nor this law that says let the child fall behind to qualify for special ed. then test her, let months pass, see if she qualifies and if she does then let's give her the radio.
i would like to not lose all this time so i guess what i am asking is:
is there a way for an individual to buy this radio?
if not
do i keep calling this special ed., person until she gets tired of me and let's us have it?
do i ask for a meeting with the school board so i can present my daughter's case?
or am i missing something?
thanks
What is your school district? Some work with parents/students, others do not... It's not unheard of for families to move to be in a SD that's Special Ed, etc. "friendly".

Old 08-29-2009, 05:36 AM

We're in south country school district but the parochial school is in patchogue district therefore we have to go through patchogue special ed. any suggestions what my next step should be?

Old 08-29-2009, 12:16 PM
LIR

77 posts, read 295,192 times
The device you are referring to is called an FM Trainer. In my school, the district's audiologist evaluates the student for the appropriate devices, then fits the child for it and works with the child's teachers as to how to use it, as well as provides ongoing push-in support for the student. The hearing aid part that goes in the child's ears is custom-shaped, so you can't just buy one in a store. From my understanding, they are quite expensive, but the district buys it for the child to use while in school. The mike does not go home with the child.

Old 08-29-2009, 01:59 PM

LIR
any ideas what i should do next based on what i have described for our situation? i know the system does not go home with us. i am learning more about this radio and how much it costs.

Old 08-29-2009, 02:10 PM

8,814 posts, read 21,277,348 times
I don't mean to alarm you or anything, but my daughter also had an unexplained hearing loss . It seemed to come on suddenly and after being a precocious reader, she was having trouble in school. She went to all kinds of doctors who were unable to explain why this happened.

When she was eight years old, we were having dinner at the South Shore mall & she told me that she was having trouble seeing the board in school. We went right over to Lens Crafters & the optomotrist took one look at her eyes and told me to take her to a neurologist immediately. He even called me that evening to remind me to do this.

It turned out that she had a massive brain tumor . She was within weeks of a major stroke.

Fortunately , I took her to the very wonderful Fred Epstein in Manhattan who was able to remove most of her tumor. There are residual effects, but when I think of what could have happened ......I know that God was watching out for her to have put her in that very location on that night.

After that, I did the quick brain tumor test on any student who was having trouble in my classes . No one had a brain tumor , but I guess I just became over-vigilant.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 08-29-2009, 04:45 PM

nancy
this unexplained hearing loss with which we have been dealing since she was 15 months old has aged us and has taken the joy out of life most of the time. we have been to so many doctors, including miami university and still it is deemed unexplained. we just had her have a ct scan of temporal bones as we found andrea vambutas, an ENT at north shore jewish hospital. i feel we're in good hands right now, though not to the point of being hopeful until we start discussing results.
and now this special ed. person tells me she refuses to help my daughter...the word 'anger' does not cover how i am feeling. i want to be equipped with information when i go confront her as i swear she will never forget dealing with me once i am done.
you mentioned tumor test. how is that done?

Old 08-29-2009, 06:47 PM
LIR

77 posts, read 295,192 times
I don't know if the reason that you are not getting the answers you need is due to the fact that your daughter is not going to the public school. Unfortunately, parochial schools do not have as much experience with special needs, because until recently, most parochial schools did not provide special ed services. Instead, students would be bused to a public school in the student's home district for a period each day to receive services. As of a couple of years ago, the public school district in which the parochial school is located is now responsible for providing the service, regardless of where the child's house is located. Do you live in the same town in which your daughter's school is located? If not, you should contact the special ed director in the town in which the school is located. Explain that your daughter's hearing is deteriorating and needs to be evaluated again by the district's audiologist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island