Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2009, 05:09 PM

54 posts, read 167,375 times

Advertisements

Our lease expires June 30th and we don't know if we want to renew it for another year yet b/c we might be moving out-of-state. I asked the leasing office about extending it for an extra month and they said every month not on a lease would cost an extra $200! Does that seem excessively high to anyone else? Our rent would already be going up to $1390 on top of that for a 1-bedroom. I wonder if they would waive the fee since it's not stated in my original lease anywhere. Has this happened to anyone else?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2009, 07:53 PM

1,214 posts, read 3,642,340 times
It seems to me it's not unusual. I'm assuming you're renting in a garden apt complex.

Basically, if you stay after your lease runs out at the end of June, you'll be technically holdover tenants on a month-to-month basis. But this complex you're in probably only wants year-long leases, so that's why there's a penalty. They want you off the fence, so to speak. Same thing happened to a good friend of mine in a complex; she bought a new condo and it wasn't finished by the time the lease ended, so she asked the LL for another 2 months so she wouldn't have to move twice and put her stuff in storage. The LL drew up a new contract, she paid penalties and she was glad not to have to go through the trouble of 2 moves.

I was advised a few years ago that if my one-time tenants wanted to stay past the end of their lease, I was to draw up a new lease for X amount of days at $100 per day, which far exceeded their regular monthly lease. The idea at the time was to get them out of my house according to the lease they agreed to 2 years before, since I wanted to move into my house myself. The $100/day acted as a penalty to them so they'd want to move faster. In the end, they moved a day late and ended up in a dump of a house on a dirt road where they still live.

Old 03-26-2009, 08:53 PM

2,666 posts, read 7,333,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Figaro2008 View Post
Our lease expires June 30th and we don't know if we want to renew it for another year yet b/c we might be moving out-of-state. I asked the leasing office about extending it for an extra month and they said every month not on a lease would cost an extra $200! Does that seem excessively high to anyone else? Our rent would already be going up to $1390 on top of that for a 1-bedroom. I wonder if they would waive the fee since it's not stated in my original lease anywhere. Has this happened to anyone else?
Hi where do you live ? Some apartment complexes charge something like that if you extend the lease for less than 6 months... usually its between 100-200 bucks.... seems like yours is on the higher end.

Old 03-26-2009, 10:02 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,142,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Figaro2008 View Post
Not uncommon when a lease continues on a month-to-month basis - you're changing the rules, so the rules change for you

Old 03-28-2009, 11:04 AM

54 posts, read 167,375 times
We do live in a garden apartment complex in Carle Place. I was hoping they would waive the fee since the apartment below us was vacant for 4 months. They give yearly leases too.

The problem is I am trying to get a new teaching job in VA, but I might not find out until late July and we don't want to say we don't want to renew our lease just in case VA doesn't pan out. Plus, my husband was part of a company layoff a few months ago, so we can't afford to stay here if he doesn't find anything. Sorry for rambling; this just stinks all around and I just don't know what to do anymore

Old 03-28-2009, 12:52 PM

2,512 posts, read 3,056,040 times
You have to remember this creates a situation where the Landlord (Leasing Company) has no idea when the shoe is going to drop on your end....you could leave in one month...in three months...etc...

You would not expect a car rental company to rent you car for one day based on a per day rate if you took the car for two weeks. Or a hotel to charge you the same amount to stay one night based on a rate if you where going to stay a week....would you????

Old 03-28-2009, 12:56 PM

362 posts, read 774,596 times
well, over here in CT it's about 50 dollars extra and it's in a nice neighborhood. I've never heard of 100 extra. the most I've heard everywhere I've been is only 50 dollars.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island