U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2009, 05:47 PM

5,889 posts, read 11,763,296 times

Advertisements

I recieved a letter out of the blue saying that I had to report to County Courthouse in Riverhead within 10 days. It goes on to read that since I have been avoiding the questionaire I have to show up in person.

Has anyone ever have to do this? What if I dont report? How do they know I recieved the letter(it wasnt certified). To be honest I dont want to miss work for a measly pay of $40 per day served on jury duty. A long criminal trial could cost me alot of cash!!

Thanks in advance.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2009, 05:53 PM

7,658 posts, read 17,891,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocafeller05 View Post
I recieved a letter out of the blue saying that I had to report to County Courthouse in Riverhead within 10 days. It goes on to read that since I have been avoiding the questionaire I have to show up in person.

Has anyone ever have to do this? What if I dont report? How do they know I recieved the letter(it wasnt certified). To be honest I dont want to miss work for a measly pay of $40 per day served on jury duty. A long criminal trial could cost me alot of cash!!

Thanks in advance.

You generally just have to call in for a week after that youre done.

is easier to do than avoid.

Old 03-29-2009, 06:18 PM

1,130 posts, read 1,451,588 times
First, New York law finds that proof of mailing is presumption of receipt and the courts are careful to maintain their proof.
When you show up for court there will be 40 or 50 other potential jurors. The plaintiff and defense attorneys will question several (voi dere (sp)) until a jury is picked for whatever trial is scheduled and many companies continue employee salaries (some less jury pay) while you are serving.
If you are not picked you have served your jury duty for now.
If you fail to show you will be found to be in contempt of court, arrested and may well spend jail time that may exceed the time you would spend on most jurys. Your loss of pay will be greater for not showing up.

Old 03-29-2009, 06:20 PM

In many cases courts will have a call in schedule, but since you have already failed to respond to questionaires that option is lost for you.

Old 03-29-2009, 06:34 PM

5,889 posts, read 11,763,296 times
Im going to show up and tell them that anyone accused is guilty in my eyes. Then what?

Old 03-29-2009, 06:50 PM

Smart choice to show up and your comment will get you one of two things - kicked of, excused from jury duty by either the judge of one of the attorneys, most likely plaintiffs or the judge may well see through you and allow questioning to continue if you even get to that point. I have been picked for jury duty 3 times; once excused because of my profession, once a jury was picked before they got to me and in one case it was settled between opposing attorneys during lunch break and we all went home.

Old 03-29-2009, 07:35 PM

8,512 posts, read 19,823,710 times
Gosh. I LOVE being on a jury. It's so interesting and there's lots of camaraderie among the jurors. I had thought I wouldn't get past the voir dire because my brother was a DA, but I almost always get chosen.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 03-29-2009, 09:37 PM

148 posts, read 519,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaffer View Post
If you fail to show you will be found to be in contempt of court, arrested and may well spend jail time that may exceed the time you would spend on most jurys. Your loss of pay will be greater for not showing up.

Do people really get arrested when they do not show up? I understand that is the law but does it ever really happen here on Long Island? That seems like a waste of time for the police.

Old 03-30-2009, 03:22 AM

1,815 posts, read 5,100,922 times
I'm not sure if people get arrested, but since I've never taken the chance I've always just gone. I was just there this month and I lost two days of work. Usually I only lose one. Since my employer pays my regular salary, I wasn't automatically granted leave right away. The trial was to last about 3 weeks, and before the questions began, the judge asked people if they had an issue with that. About half the people were excused, due to vacations, child care costs and jobs that didn't pay causing 'financial hardship.' So most likely you could use the same excuse and you'd be good for 6 years after that.

Old 03-30-2009, 05:29 AM

13,174 posts, read 15,504,987 times
I was called a few weeks ago, called in for 4 days straight, after the 4th day I was excused for 6 years.

A friend had to actually go to the court, but was excused the first day after questioning. It's kinda stupid to ignore a summons from a court of law.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island