Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2009, 08:11 AM

405 posts, read 1,770,294 times

Advertisements

LOL... Having just relocated here myself, I am currently renting just blocks from the "grimy" Greenlawn station, and would be pleased as punch to buy a house right here. I'm also strongly considering Huntington Station. And I have kids *gasp*

Honestly, these boards provide some food for thought, but you really just need to spend time driving around and seeing things for yourself. I would strongly suggest renting at first. That's what we're doing, and then going to open houses every weekend in all different neighborhoods. I can't fathom having bought a home before spending the time doing this, not to mention, it has helped me learn my way around immensely! Personally, I do not like the area north of 25A so much in many places; it can be very densely packed (in the beach cottage sections, for instance) with extremely steep terrain and narrow, crumbling roads. I much prefer a flatter, open area, but that's really just a matter of taste. Of course at a higher price point one can obviously find this north of 25A as well, but alas...

In any event, good luck and welcome to the area!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2009, 06:36 PM

7,658 posts, read 19,170,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by procfreq View Post
LOL... Having just relocated here myself, I am currently renting just blocks from the "grimy" Greenlawn station, and would be pleased as punch to buy a house right here. I'm also strongly considering Huntington Station. And I have kids *gasp*

Honestly, these boards provide some food for thought, but you really just need to spend time driving around and seeing things for yourself. I would strongly suggest renting at first. That's what we're doing, and then going to open houses every weekend in all different neighborhoods. I can't fathom having bought a home before spending the time doing this, not to mention, it has helped me learn my way around immensely! Personally, I do not like the area north of 25A so much in many places; it can be very densely packed (in the beach cottage sections, for instance) with extremely steep terrain and narrow, crumbling roads. I much prefer a flatter, open area, but that's really just a matter of taste. Of course at a higher price point one can obviously find this north of 25A as well, but alas...

In any event, good luck and welcome to the area!
Why would you leave NC?

I hear its perfect there.

Crooks

Old 09-19-2009, 09:55 PM

24 posts, read 50,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowmunkey9490 View Post
Anyway, I hope this helps
Let me know if you want to ask me anything else
Thank you snowmunkey!
This is exactly what I am looking for.

Old 09-19-2009, 10:05 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,150,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
Why would you leave NC?

I hear its perfect there.

Crooks

Crooks,
sometimes great job offers/opportunities take you to different locations...

Old 09-23-2009, 07:25 PM

10 posts, read 40,403 times
Default relocating from nj to commack

Quote:
Originally Posted by markusa View Post
sure , I've lived in huntington township for 30 years !!( commack)
avoid huntington station if possible , problems with ILLEGAL ALIENS , Gangs drugs . the huntington school system is a mess. alot of kids in private schools.
south of jericho tpk is good as is huntington village, e.northport, elwood.,
dix hills , llyod harbor ,.
Newyork ave from jericho tpk south to the big H shopping center Is a MESS.
Drive it and see.
The town govt is ultra liberal.
good luck
can you tell me and my husband anything about Crown ave in Huntington near commack. Taxes are kind of high what is what is the area like. Thank you.

Old 09-23-2009, 07:29 PM

10 posts, read 40,403 times
Can some please let me know if crown ave is cosidered commack, how is that area of huntington what is the crime rate like and the schools. Is it a good area to purchase a home or not.

Old 09-23-2009, 07:50 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,150,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NU2nj View Post
Can some please let me know if crown ave is cosidered commack, how is that area of huntington what is the crime rate like and the schools. Is it a good area to purchase a home or not.
The only Crown Ave I could find was in Huntington. Are you by any chance looking at the bank owned property?

Old 09-23-2009, 08:01 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,680,436 times
Default For those who may not be familiar with Greenlawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by NU2nj View Post
Can some please let me know if crown ave is cosidered commack ...

No, not the Hamlet of Commack.

NU2nj, according to the Census Bureau's online address search function, Crown Avenue is in the Hamlet of Greenlawn ("Huntington, NY 11743" mailing address).

Also according to the Census Bureau's online address search function, Crown Avenue is in the very well regarded Harborfields Central School District.

For those who may not be familiar with Greenlawn:

Greenlawn is a hamlet (an unincorporated area) in the central part of the Town of Huntington, in the northwest part of Suffolk County.

Beginning on the north and moving in a clockwise direction, the Hamlet of Greenlawn in the Town of Huntington is bordered on the north by the Hamlet of Centerport; on the east by the Hamlet of East Northport and the Hamlet of Elwood; on the south by the Hamlet of Elwood, the Hamlet of Dix Hills, the Hamlet of South Huntington and the Hamlet of Huntington Station; and, on the west by the Hamlet of Huntington Station and the Hamlet of Huntington.

The Hamlet of Greenlawn has a different border than does the "Greenlawn, NY 11740" ZIP Code postal zone (i.e., a place can have a "Greenlawn, NY 11740" mailing address and not be in the Hamlet of Greenlawn and a place can have other than a "Greenlawn, NY 11740" mailing address and be in the Hamlet of Greenlawn): places that have a "Greenlawn, NY 11740" mailing address that are not in the Hamlet of Greenlawn are in the Hamlet of Huntington and the Hamlet of Elwood; and, at the same time, there are places in the Hamlet of Greenlawn with a "Huntington, NY 11743" mailing address.

For a good set of town-by-town maps showing all the villages and hamlets in each of LI's 13 towns (3 in Nassau County and 10 in Suffolk County): //www.city-data.com/forum/long-...-resource.html

Old 09-23-2009, 08:20 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,680,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markusa View Post
sure , I've lived in huntington township for 30 years !!( commack)
avoid huntington station if possible , problems with ILLEGAL ALIENS , Gangs drugs . the huntington school system is a mess. alot of kids in private schools.
south of jericho tpk is good as is huntington village, e.northport, elwood.,
dix hills , llyod harbor ,.
Newyork ave from jericho tpk south to the big H shopping center Is a MESS.
Drive it and see.
The town govt is ultra liberal.
good luck

There is no Huntington Township. It's the Town of Huntington.

There is the Hamlet of Commack in the Town of Huntington (other parts of the Hamlet of Commack are in the Town of Smithtown).

Huntington Station is a hamlet in the Town of Huntington.

There is no Huntington Village. The downtown business area in the Hamlet of Huntington in the Town of Huntington is colloquially referred to as "Huntington Village".

East Northport, Elwood and Dix Hills are all hamlets in the Town of Huntington.

Lloyd Harbor is a village in the Town of Huntington.

Old 09-23-2009, 09:26 PM

7,658 posts, read 19,170,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
There is no Huntington Township. It's the Town of Huntington.

There is the Hamlet of Commack in the Town of Huntington (other parts of the Hamlet of Commack are in the Town of Smithtown).

Huntington Station is a hamlet in the Town of Huntington.

There is no Huntington Village. The downtown business area in the Hamlet of Huntington in the Town of Huntington is colloquially referred to as "Huntington Village".

East Northport, Elwood and Dix Hills are all hamlets in the Town of Huntington.

Lloyd Harbor is a village in the Town of Huntington.
And then there's the Hamlet of "The Commack Motor Inn".

Colloquially referred to as "The Jungle Room".

Ironically not in the Town of Babylon.

; )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island