Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2009, 06:54 AM

1,056 posts, read 2,126,883 times

Advertisements

25 years ago, copaigue was a nice place, mainly old school italians. but its been changing since then. south of montauk, middle to upper class whites. north of montauk, middle to lower class white (trash) then a bit furthur north, polish, then more north, latinos then the furthurest you can go is BLACK.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2009, 08:36 AM

164 posts, read 456,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KENNY GUIDO View Post
25 years ago, copaigue was a nice place, mainly old school italians. but its been changing since then. south of montauk, middle to upper class whites. north of montauk, middle to lower class white (trash) then a bit furthur north, polish, then more north, latinos then the furthurest you can go is BLACK.

The only part of S. Copaigue that is middle to upper class is Copaigue Harbor. Amity Harbor is "Copaigue" south of montauk that was given the hamlet name "Amity Harbor" has a nice name that would make you think it is nice, but it is not. Many mistaken this for S. Amityville.. it's not, far from it. Did you ever drive down Cooliage Avenue? (SP?) The main "hub" of "Amity Harbor" and drive through the area? Not nice at all..shacky looking homes with some exceptions, trash, junk cars and boats everywhere... moons ago (50 plus years) it was a summer home community, those days are long gone. I would say very lower, middle class. (if that)

Old 08-26-2009, 08:56 AM

1,056 posts, read 2,126,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amitygirl View Post
The only part of S. Copaigue that is middle to upper class is Copaigue Harbor. Amity Harbor is "Copaigue" south of montauk that was given the hamlet name "Amity Harbor" has a nice name that would make you think it is nice, but it is not. Many mistaken this for S. Amityville.. it's not, far from it. Did you ever drive down Cooliage Avenue? (SP?) The main "hub" of "Amity Harbor" and drive through the area? Not nice at all..shacky looking homes with some exceptions, trash, junk cars and boats everywhere... moons ago (50 plus years) it was a summer home community, those days are long gone. I would say very lower, middle class. (if that)

I think youve been hanging out with walter greenspan a bit too much!

Old 08-26-2009, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny guido View Post
i think youve been hanging out with walter greenspan a bit too much!:d

lol!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 08-26-2009, 10:18 AM

438 posts, read 828,530 times
Quote:

So true...Amity Harbor was an invented place name so houses could be sold. Just like East Yaphank (Shirley) or South Hauppauge (Central Islip)

Living in Amityville, you knew right away when you crossed the village line into Copaigue. The change is that quick.

Old 08-26-2009, 10:29 AM

10,655 posts, read 18,603,790 times
Quote:
Amity Harbor is not "Very lower class", I boat around that area on a regular basis and it's beautiful... and when I was buying here 4 years ago, I looked at several gorgeous houses in that area.

Old 08-26-2009, 12:12 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,559,825 times
Quote:
Amity Harbor is "Copaigue" south of montauk that was given the hamlet name "Amity Harbor" has a nice name that would make you think it is nice, but it is not.
There is no hamlet named "Amity Harbor".

Amity Harbor is an area in the Hamlet of Copiague in the Town of Babylon, Suffolk County.

Old 08-26-2009, 12:21 PM

20 posts, read 73,283 times
I grew up in the "Venice" with a Lindenhurst address and Copaigue Schools until I was 11 years old, in 1994. I was there until I graduated from Susan E Wiley Elementary when my parents then decided it was time to get out before I hit the middle school.

I'd have to say it was one of the best decisions my parents had ever made. I hated it then but looking back at it the best way I can describe the difference in growing up was that I went from a schooling atmosphere that forced me to hide or be embarassed of getting good grades to one that touted me for doing so. The difference in overall ambition of the students was ridiculous.

I really don't know where I would be today if we had stayed there the whole time. The term "Guilty by Association" can apply to Copaigue in the negative and West Islip in the positive.

I would never move to or raise a family in Copaigue.

Old 08-26-2009, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post
Amity Harbor is not "Very lower class", I boat around that area on a regular basis and it's beautiful... and when I was buying here 4 years ago, I looked at several gorgeous houses in that area.

gorgeous??? You were probably looking at homes in Copaigue Harbor. There is nothing "gorgeous" in Amity Harbor..believe me.

Old 08-27-2009, 07:33 AM

6,373 posts, read 13,086,300 times
Here is what you will read about Copiague atleast a few times a year...

Man shot in abdomen in Copiague
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island