Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2007, 03:53 PM

1 posts, read 6,985 times

Advertisements

I just started teaching in nyc and the commute is difficult. Do you take the express from Babylon? It saves a ton of time. If I was working in Brooklyn, I would probably drive since most areas it is easy to park. I had lived there before moving out here in October.

I am also looking for a job on the island and would appreciate and web-sites or career fairs that come up that I can go to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2007, 11:39 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,939,050 times
I take the train from Penn station to Smithtown on the Port Jeff branch. Only a month left of student teaching though, and I'll be done with this commute. It's ok for now, but I couldn't see myself doing it for more than 2 years or so.

I'm moving to Queens in a month. It will be much easier to commute when I start working in the city. By the way, I got an interview for a commitment letter, very happy about that.

Old 09-28-2008, 05:51 AM

1 posts, read 6,604 times
Angry Difficulty

I had tried for 10 years to try and get a public school teaching position on Long Island. What I found was that if you didn't know someone in an administrative position, the job couldn't ever be yours.

Unfortunately, this is becoming true of the private school sector as well.

Old 09-28-2008, 06:25 AM

517 posts, read 2,485,253 times
I also teach in Brooklyn and have been looking to move to Nassau county. I think that I'll keep teaching in Brooklyn because 1) I have tenure, 2) we have the 55/25 retirement option and Nassau doesn't, 3) alot of people resent teachers salaries in LI because of taxes. But if I were interested in switching, I would probably try to teach Summer school in LI and see if that yielded any connections.

Old 09-28-2008, 07:20 AM

8,814 posts, read 21,280,851 times
Good luck to all of you. I just retired (the 25/55 option) from teaching in Brooklyn
and it comes around faster than you might think .
If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 09-28-2008, 07:26 AM

8,900 posts, read 15,939,050 times
I'm now in my second year teaching in the Bronx. I don't want to bother trying to get a job on LI. It's stressful enough even trying to land one. Also, I don't think I could deal with the parents and administration on my back. I would rather have kids who aren't as well-behaved (then again, I realize kids will be kids anywhere you go, so it doesn't make much of a difference anyway). I'm teaching 1st grade this year. The second year is so much better than the first year lol

Old 09-28-2008, 01:25 PM

8,814 posts, read 21,280,851 times
I really had relatively nice kids in Park Slope. And, the parents are much easier to deal with. I had many children of my children (which is why I am finally retired lol).

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 09-28-2008, 02:12 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,661,046 times
Honestly, Special Ed is the field to be in, just about anywhere. It's very much in demand. I suppose because not everyone wants or can do it.

Old 09-29-2008, 08:14 AM

659 posts, read 2,517,467 times
If you have a good resume, you usually can get an interview in a LI district. I had over 7 interviews in 2 months on LI 6 years ago fresh out of college at 22. I went to Adelphi and didn't know a soul in public education (I went to Catholic school all my life) and i got 3 job offers by May. It is possible, but you must stand out in some way. I am also High school history...I do hear that in elementary ed is much harder to find a job.

Unlike NYC schools, you need to apply to each individual school district on LI. That means lots of resumes or online applications. Look in the New York Times starting in January/February...that is when the jobs start getting posted. Also I think Boces may have an online application which is linked to a few school districts.

Don't give up. Work on sprucing up your resume in the meantime (and getting it proofread/edited by professionals or a career center) and practicing interview questions.

Good luck

Old 09-29-2008, 08:26 AM

13,511 posts, read 17,036,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by idolette View Post
I had tried for 10 years to try and get a public school teaching position on Long Island. What I found was that if you didn't know someone in an administrative position, the job couldn't ever be yours.

Unfortunately, this is becoming true of the private school sector as well.

My wife looked for 5 years to get a full time job..she worked as a leave replacement and was hired full time finally after struggling for so long. She was passed over on 2 other leave replacement jobs in other districts and guess who the hires were? People related to school board members or administration right out of college with 0 years teaching experience.

It's not impossible, but it is hard. Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island