U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2009, 06:33 PM

35 posts, read 152,479 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone! I am new to this forum and it seems like a great place to get information about Long Island. My wife and I purchased a home in Center Moriches recently and we probably didn't do as much research on the schools as we should have. I am wondering how good the schools are in Center Moriches from some of you that may be familiar with them. Any information is appreciated, also we will not be needing the schools for about 5 more years.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2009, 09:21 PM

9,341 posts, read 28,347,514 times
Default For those who may not be familiar with Center Moriches

LongIslandercma, welcome to what the locals lovingly refer to as "Lawn Guyland".

In case you are unfamiliar with the local geography:

What people refer to colloquially as "towns" are actually villages and hamlets, which are within actual towns; and, because villages and hamlets are referred to as "towns", then, many times, the error is compounded when actual towns are referred to as "townships".

Also, many colloquially refer to a "downtown business district" in a hamlet as a "village".

//www.city-data.com/forum/new-y...-glossary.html and //www.city-data.com/forum/long-...-resource.html may be of some help to you in understanding the geography of "Lawn Guyland".

//www.city-data.com/forum/long-...you-think.html may help you understand the great geographic confusions caused by non-conforming ZIP Code postal zones.

For those who may not be familiar with Center Moriches:

Center Moriches is a hamlet (an unincorporated community) in the southeast part of the Town of Brookhaven, in the center-south part of Suffolk County.

Beginning on the north and moving in a clockwise direction, the Hamlet of Center Moriches in the Town of Brookhaven is bordered on the north by the Hamlet of Manorville; on the east by the Hamlet of East Moriches; on the south by Moriches Bay; and, on the west by the Hamlet of Moriches.

The Hamlet of Center Moriches has a different border than does the "Center Moriches, NY 11934" ZIP Code postal zone (i.e., a place can have a "Center Moriches, NY 11934" mailing address and not be in the Hamlet of Center Moriches and a place can have other than a "Center Moriches, NY 11934" mailing address and be in the Hamlet of Center Moriches): places that have a "Center Moriches, NY 11934" mailing address that are not in the Hamlet of Center Moriches are in the Hamlet of Moriches and the Hamlet of East Moriches; and, at the same time, there are places in the Hamlet of Center Moriches with a "Moriches, NY 11955" and an "East Moriches, NY 11940" mailing address.

For a good set of town-by-town maps showing all the villages and hamlets in each of LI's 13 towns (3 in Nassau County and 10 in Suffolk County): //www.city-data.com/forum/long-...-resource.html

Old 04-04-2009, 11:04 PM

745 posts, read 1,437,323 times
The schools are mediocre.

Why you would buy a home without extensively researching the area first is beyond me....

Old 04-05-2009, 07:53 AM

6,103 posts, read 12,260,092 times
If your kids do the work and you keep on them they will be fine...same as any school out her on LI.

Old 04-05-2009, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephM View Post
The schools are mediocre.

Why you would buy a home without extensively researching the area first is beyond me....

Well it's not that we did not do research, it is just that alot of the school information seems to be somewhat subjective to me. I have seen plenty of the statistical data. After finding this website I was hoping to find some first hand information about the schools. Also the house is most likely not one we plan to live in forever and we have at least 5 years before we would need the schools. Thanks for the reply!

Old 04-05-2009, 08:28 AM

6,103 posts, read 12,260,092 times
^^ What school info is subjective? Why not say what you have head or learned?

Old 04-05-2009, 02:41 PM

2,783 posts, read 4,009,474 times
the schools are fine, about average. if you are a good parent, they will do just fine. dont listen to some of the snobs on this board

Old 04-06-2009, 07:19 AM

40 posts, read 188,661 times
Default I went to CMo schools

I am a graduate of the Center Moriches school system. It was fine...I worked hard, was challenged and was always encouraged to seek higher education. I was active in the sports and music programs and never wanted for anything (except a football team which we didn't have back in the 80's). I am sure there are schools out there in very high end areas that may offer more AP courses, etc., but Center Moriches is a great place to grow up and the schools were average to above average. I would live in CMo and send my children there if I could find work on the east end.

I agree fully that the ratings, polls, grades, etc. that you find on school systems are questionable. The statistics may be hard numbers but they don't give you a glimpse of what's happening in the homes. These days, many parents don't have the time (or feel the need) to pay attention to the academic careers of their children. Their children are always right and the teachers are always wrong. It is a hard time to be in education. If you are attentive parents, who work hard to be sure your child takes advantage of all that a school offers, your kids will excel regardless of the district.

Good luck!

Old 04-06-2009, 08:45 AM

405 posts, read 1,115,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lynn995 View Post
These days, many parents don't have the time (or feel the need) to pay attention to the academic careers of their children. Their children are always right and the teachers are always wrong. It is a hard time to be in education. If you are attentive parents, who work hard to be sure your child takes advantage of all that a school offers, your kids will excel regardless of the district.
Well said!
It's seems to me that this is the same attitude of the people who have put themselves on the brink of bankruptcy by borrowing way more than they really could afford, or of the people who absolutely must drive the latest Mercedes. Of course when they lose the house and car it is someone else who is at fault, surely it could not be theirs. Do they really live their life believing that appearance equals substance?

I don't care what school district you talk about, there will be kids who excel and kids who fail. There will be kids who will be honest, hard workers, and kids who will end up in Jail. The appearance of a better district does not really carry substantial weight. In other words a "B" student will not likely get accepted to Harvard regardless of what district they come from.

IMO, parenting carries much more weight in education than your physical address.

Old 04-06-2009, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynn995 View Post
I am a graduate of the Center Moriches school system. It was fine...I worked hard, was challenged and was always encouraged to seek higher education. I was active in the sports and music programs and never wanted for anything (except a football team which we didn't have back in the 80's). I am sure there are schools out there in very high end areas that may offer more AP courses, etc., but Center Moriches is a great place to grow up and the schools were average to above average. I would live in CMo and send my children there if I could find work on the east end.

I agree fully that the ratings, polls, grades, etc. that you find on school systems are questionable. The statistics may be hard numbers but they don't give you a glimpse of what's happening in the homes. These days, many parents don't have the time (or feel the need) to pay attention to the academic careers of their children. Their children are always right and the teachers are always wrong. It is a hard time to be in education. If you are attentive parents, who work hard to be sure your child takes advantage of all that a school offers, your kids will excel regardless of the district.

Good luck!
Thank you for the reply. This is what I meant about the statistical data. I was hoping to get a first hand perspective from people who had children in the district or who had attended themselves. I may be wrong but when we were house hunting Center Moriches was not perceived to be one of the districts to avoid. Thanks for all the information.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island