Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2013, 02:34 PM

147 posts, read 543,699 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logical95 View Post
The difference is Queens property taxes are a hell of a lot lower than NHP.....If I had to choose, I would go 10 mins west and rather live in Bellerose or Glen Oaks then NHP because of the significantly lower taxes, but much of the same type of housing stock.

If I didn't work so close to the city and had my choice, I would live in Suffolk, where you can get 3/4 of an acre or even a full acre with a huge backyard for the same prices as NHP.

I feel like in NHP you have no privacy from your neighbors since the houses are so close to eachother, and anything you do outside is watched.
Taxes in Queens may be "a hell of a lot lower than NHP" but I'd rather pay the higher taxes and send my kids to either Great Neck School District or Herricks School District. The price point that you are referring to which are houses in the $400,000 range, throughout Nassau county those houses are going to be close to each other regardless of the neighborhood you live in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2013, 03:58 AM

4 posts, read 21,023 times
NHP is now working on the Jericho tpk beautification project. Wow ... Point blank the town is slowly turning into a queens, packastan, Indian, halal eating, Muslim town. The town boasts 10 gas stations, 3 mosques, 1 super mosque ( where al residents will soon hear the 3 hour call to prayer once its built this year on hillside ave and north 1st st ) 3 elementary, a massive commerical section ( I'm not talking a small business I mean huge industry and a large junk yard ) as well as a huge catering hall, all this in a 2 square mile area.....and to boot the best of the best the main park useto be a garbage dump and it is so young people today stil talk about how it stunk and these people are it here 40s can you say ground water contamination or breat caser cluster in 20 to 50 years... Call me a hater I don't care I work very hard for my money I got sucked here to make my better half happy. It took me 10 years to show her i was right and now have her looking eles where. This town is a **** hole the people here are low life white trash it is dirty and there is Absoutly ZERO TOWN PRIDE ...prove me wrong anyone, go to even Hempstead offers more not that I would go there but look at other towns and see for your self. You may not like what I have to say nut it's the truth and I live here looking to get out.

Old 03-16-2013, 10:12 AM

426 posts, read 960,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manhasset hills1 View Post
Taxes in Queens may be "a hell of a lot lower than NHP" but I'd rather pay the higher taxes and send my kids to either Great Neck School District or Herricks School District. The price point that you are referring to which are houses in the $400,000 range, throughout Nassau county those houses are going to be close to each other regardless of the neighborhood you live in.
Yea, and that 400,000 price point will get you exactly what I said......a small cape or small ranch on a 40x100 lot that needs probably an extra 50-80K of work or renovation. Most of the houses in NHP are post world war era houses and still have the original flooring, pipes, heating systems etc.

Add to that 10K property and school taxes and there you have it.

Old 03-16-2013, 10:20 AM

426 posts, read 960,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Looking only View Post
NHP is now working on the Jericho tpk beautification project. Wow ... Point blank the town is slowly turning into a queens, packastan, Indian, halal eating, Muslim town. The town boasts 10 gas stations, 3 mosques, 1 super mosque ( where al residents will soon hear the 3 hour call to prayer once its built this year on hillside ave and north 1st st ) 3 elementary, a massive commerical section ( I'm not talking a small business I mean huge industry and a large junk yard ) as well as a huge catering hall, all this in a 2 square mile area.....and to boot the best of the best the main park useto be a garbage dump and it is so young people today stil talk about how it stunk and these people are it here 40s can you say ground water contamination or breat caser cluster in 20 to 50 years... Call me a hater I don't care I work very hard for my money I got sucked here to make my better half happy. It took me 10 years to show her i was right and now have her looking eles where. This town is a **** hole the people here are low life white trash it is dirty and there is Absoutly ZERO TOWN PRIDE ...prove me wrong anyone, go to even Hempstead offers more not that I would go there but look at other towns and see for your self. You may not like what I have to say nut it's the truth and I live here looking to get out.
Of course, the demographics of NHP and the areas around it are changing (Glen Oaks, Bellerose, Lake Success, Franklin Square, etc), as there is more of an Indian/Muslim/ Pakistani influx now.

However, you can say the same about the rest of LI. Its the world we live in. Cultural diversity. You have to get used to it, either that or move to a more white area if thats what suits you.

If you do not like the area or what it is turning into, then move somewhere else.

Old 03-16-2013, 03:03 PM

147 posts, read 543,699 times
I'm posted this in another thread but I thought it was also relevent for this thread...

Here are some "Fun Facts" regarding Herricks School District. I live in the district and I can vouch that it is an excellent school district but here are some statistics so you just don't take my word for it.

(Taken from From the Desk of Herricks Superintendent Dr. Bierwirth)
Summary of Herricks College Acceptances
In 2008, 16 Herricks students were accepted to Ivy League, 11 students were accepted to Joint B.S.-M.D. medical school program, and 114 students were accepted to colleges listed as Most Competitive.
In 2007, 18 Herricks students were accepted to Ivy League, 17 students were accepted to the Joint B.S.-M.D. medical school program, and 121 students were accepted to colleges listed as Most Competitive.
(For the full chart follow the link above.)
Despite rapidly escalating numbers of applications to the country's most competitive colleges and universities, Herricks students have more than held their own.

---------------
Two Herricks Students Named 2013 Intel Semi-Finalists - New Hyde Park, NY Patch

Two Herricks High School students have been named semifinalists in the prestigious Intel Science Talent Search 2013.
Krishna, 17, of Williston Park, advanced on a project entitled “Hypoxia and Nitric Oxide Regulate Angiogenesis Inhibitors in Injury and Disease.”
Pleat, 17, of Rosyln, entered under the project “A Novel Approach to Locating Geothermal Systems in Relation to Geodetic Crustal Deformation and Strain Rate Tensors”
-------------------

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G46xai2F3x8
Herricks High School Winners of World Quest New York 2010

-------------------
Herricks High School - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Herricks Musicians Achieve at 2013 All-County Music Festival - New Hyde Park, NY Patch

Herricks has a highly-acclaimed music department. The music department is home to ten different performing ensembles, including several advanced groups: Jazz Band, Wind Ensemble, Chamber Orchestra, and Chamber Choir.
Many students regularly attend the NYSSMA Festival and a large number of them are accepted into the NMEA All-County, All-State, and All-Eastern Music festivals.

2013 All County Music Festival - Over 8,600 students were recommended by their school music teacher from over 57school districts throughout Nassau County.
Of the 1,800 students accepted, Herricks boasts 145 participants in band, orchestra, chorus or jazz.

Old 03-16-2013, 05:08 PM

1,775 posts, read 3,784,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Looking only View Post
Sounds like you just hate the change in demographics. That doesn't bother me, all of Long Island is becoming racially diverse and that's just the way it will be, either accept it or move to a Lilly white town in Kentucky somewhere if it bothers you. FWIW, if you do decide to list your house, please let us know because NHP is one of our target areas and if we see a nice house, we will make an offer on it.

Old 03-17-2013, 08:02 AM

To be honest diversity don't bother me that much. But to be 100percent honest I pay 14,000 in taxes and get 5,000 in return if you understand what I mean. I just want what I pay for

Old 03-17-2013, 12:21 PM

Legal diva my home is listed....make an offer its going for $ 650,000 it has 5 bedrooms it was built in 2002 large rooms a nice deck on a great block. The lot size is 60 x 100 the taxes are 12,000 as you are aware the schools are great and neighborhood is ok. I am looking to go to the north side of town beacuse that's just the way it is give me an e mail if your are further instrested
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island