Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2009, 06:56 PM

1,010 posts, read 3,929,908 times

Advertisements

South Huntington water is excellent, but Nassau is eh. They seem to add a lot more chemicals in Nassau. I used a filter there. But problems like the OP describes don't seem normal to me--I'd have the plumbing checked.

Well water can be variable and I would seriously consider testing the mineral levels. Limescale will ruin your appliances (preventable with a water softener). We had the limescale in our pipes harden and require drilling when we lived in a hard water area. We used Calgon religiously after that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2009, 07:08 PM

186 posts, read 734,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
How old is your home and the plumbing?

I grew up in Nassau and never saw anything like that, but that was 25 years ago.
I actually live in an apartment complex at the intersection of Jericho Tpke and Glen Cove Rd - judging by the way it looks, it has got to be somewhat old!

The address falls under Carle Place so I am not sure what district/public area it falls under as far as the water authority is concerned.

Old 04-12-2009, 07:29 PM

929 posts, read 2,067,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdeshpan View Post
I just want to find out from long-time LIers if they like the quality of drinking water here. We moved from Virginia to Nassau C (Mineola area) later last year and we can feel a great deal of difference in the quality of water. What's with the white salty deposits in the water here? Are there more salts in the drinking water than usual, or is it just us? I seriously feel we should be filtering it (which we have just started), but in case we drink it direct from the tap, should we be worried?
I have a family member that lives in West Virginia and the water just tastes totally different. Of a weird note, their drinking glasses have been permanently frosted due to the water in WV. They have been told that is because the water is harder and has limestone or something to that effect in it.

I've never seen any white salty deposits in the water, but it might be a more localized problem with your pipes. Anyway, I filter any water that I drink either in a tap or from a Brita container. Have since they had the "cover up" of radioactive waste in Brookhaven years and years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island