Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2009, 04:44 AM

6,384 posts, read 13,159,566 times

Advertisements

What pisses me off the most is that these companies that post their signs for advertisement purposes are suppose to adopt the highway in a certain area. Do they ever clean it? Who over sees it?

Maybe once I seen people cleaning up Sunrise Highway and I think it was the local boyscout troop.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2009, 04:52 AM

4,502 posts, read 13,470,736 times
And what about the people who allow their dogs to crap everywhere and don't bother picking it up? I think I'd rather see a McDonald's coffee cup blowing about than the health hazard of a pile of dog crap in the middle of a sidewalk or whatever.

I would LOVE to see the cops fine those lazy people!

Old 04-14-2009, 06:39 AM

342 posts, read 1,094,217 times
Hmm, I thinking that maybe the power of the web could work for the "anti-litter" movement. Maybe Newsday (I know it's a rag, but it could be a good rag here) could set up a "LITTERBUG HALL OF SHAME" web page. They could invite all of LI to send in pictures (most people have cameras attached to their phones these days) and they could post the cars with the license plate numbers (could they track down who these people are?) and just post them on the website. As long as you got people in the act of throwing the trashout the window and then you got a picture of the car's licence plate number (there could be more than one picture) that might just start things rolling to turn people's attitudes around.

Comments?

Old 04-14-2009, 08:39 AM

1,815 posts, read 5,400,393 times
The social stigma attached to being a 'litterbug' has waned since the 70's. I would be all for a resurgence of the concept in schools. That generation can be saved, it may be too late for ours. Though parent will learn a bit from the kids and they will nag parents not to litter, so it could work from the ground up.

The bigger problem is our 'throw away, instant gratification' lifestyle. Just about everthing can be had in overly packaged individual portions. That generates tons of trash, some of which ends up as litter. The more total trash, the more total litter. The current generation is so removed from nature that they no longer understand it and therefore do not respect it or even care about it. That is a root cause of the litter problem.

Old 04-14-2009, 09:07 AM

44 posts, read 252,659 times
I moved to LI from the Midwest and the litter was the first thing I noticed. It's disgusting to think that people pay so much for housing and taxes and they don't give a crap about the area they are living in.

The union comment makes sense to me. I'd love to see prisoners out there cleaning it up on a regular basis. (Nearly) free labor + clean streets, it makes sense!!

Or catch those graffiti artists and have them pay their dues beautifying LI!

Old 04-14-2009, 09:19 AM

14 posts, read 98,294 times
Omg,Iam not the only person with this issue! I have a corner lot across from a bowling alley and park...... I have to scan the front yard for dime bags and beer bottles before my 1 1/2 can play.

and my husband cleans the park every sunday so the kids can play safely. it just gross what they leave behind!

Old 04-14-2009, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassieskier View Post
The union comment makes sense to me. I'd love to see prisoners out there cleaning it up on a regular basis. (Nearly) free labor + clean streets, it makes sense!!
I'd love to see prisoners doing clean-ups as well. We have to work to keep them fed and housed in prisons, they should be contributing as much as possible to society.

Those caught littering should have to do a certain number of hours of community service litter clean up as well. Let the punishment fit the crime! The union guys can supervise the offender's cleanup efforts so that they are still making a buck off the endeavor. The fine for littering should go towards the supervisor's salary - so in effect the litterer would be not only have to do the community service, but his fine would be paying for his 'boss' for the service!

Old 04-14-2009, 12:49 PM

75 posts, read 312,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocafeller05 View Post
The problem is that unlike other states, NY metro areas do not let prisoners do the road work clean up. Why?...because the unions cry foul and claim that its their work. So instead of paying a prisoner, who we pay with taxes to keep anyways, the counties have to pay union workers. The price is ridiculous and there is not enough room in the budget to do it monthy. Thats the bottom line why our roadways are filthy!

Wow - I didn’t know that!!! I often make jokes to my boyfriend (he's from LI and says the roads have always looked that way) that crime must be way down in LI because no one is out there cleaning up the mess! lol

I'm disgusted on a daily basis at all the garbage on the side of the roads. Particularly Sunrise Hwy in the Patchogue area. (where I live)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lialleycat View Post
I also want to say that out of date yard sale signs should be considered litter as well. I'm all for having a little yard sale and trying to make a few bucks on the stuff you no longer need - but take down your signs afterward!!! The towns could probably make some money by collecting signs and issuing littering summonses to those that leave them up for weeks after the sale is over.
What a GREAT idea!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by omigawd View Post
And what about the people who allow their dogs to crap everywhere and don't bother picking it up? I think I'd rather see a McDonald's coffee cup blowing about than the health hazard of a pile of dog crap in the middle of a sidewalk or whatever.

I would LOVE to see the cops fine those lazy people!
While I do agree with you, one good rain and that poop is gone. You can't say the same for the McD's cup ...

Garbage and litter are a far bigger problem, IMO.

Old 04-14-2009, 01:18 PM

4,502 posts, read 13,470,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty__Quinn View Post

While I do agree with you, one good rain and that poop is gone. You can't say the same for the McD's cup ...
No, it actually just gets wet, flat and spreads out.

I know there are a ton of dogs where I live and it's absolutely disgusting. If I didn't think I'd get assaulted or get my tires sliced, I would videotape these slobs and their dogs and send it to news 12.

And, while the McDs cup may float around until it gets flattened, it WILL completely disintegrate in the rain. The McDs cup is also NOT a health hazard as the dog crap is.

Old 04-14-2009, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by omigawd View Post
No, it actually just gets wet, flat and spreads out.

I know there are a ton of dogs where I live and it's absolutely disgusting. If I didn't think I'd get assaulted or get my tires sliced, I would videotape these slobs and their dogs and send it to news 12.

And, while the McDs cup may float around until it gets flattened, it WILL completely disintegrate in the rain. The McDs cup is also NOT a health hazard as the dog crap is.
My neighbor's dog sometimes poo'd on my lawn. I 'returned' their property on their front step. Dog poo has been severely limited since.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island