Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2011, 06:03 AM

4 posts, read 11,368 times

Advertisements

Last time I went back to visit my parents there road was cluttered with broken beer bottles, empty cigarette packs all over the street and houses were boarded up. I then went tot he deli seen Hookers on William Floyd Pkwy during the day, and homeless guys peeing in the street. Mastic is the sewer system on LI, it should be under ground in a sewer pipe or leach field.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2011, 11:36 AM

9,169 posts, read 13,235,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissesFixIt View Post
I was just wondering why ppl say Mastic & Mastic Beach is bad. I hear the SD are bad but what makes you think they are bad? Whats wrong with the reservation and neighborhood rd? I am just curious. I know compared to other parts of LI it might not be the best but what makes it the worst to some of you? I am sure not all the ppl who live there are ghetto fab ppl. Just curious since I might buy in that area. I am hispanic with a white fiancee and a 1 yr old baby (Maybe ppl will think we are trashy if we move there and we def are not!!)
It may or may not be justifed, I for one do not think the area as bad as some people say. But I will take a stab at why it got that reputation.

What happened to Mastic and the nearby Shirley area maybe was that it was built up too early. Some developer began building small houses there in the 1950s, when there were huge number of brand new homes being built on farmland in Nassau and Western Suffolk much closer to the city. Why go all the way out to Mastic when you could get a brand new house closer to the city?

So the area remained cheap. And it began to get a bad reputation. And this only got worse for the older homes in Mastic-Shirley when the new larger homes began to be built throughout Brookhaven in the 70s and the 80s.

Old 04-10-2011, 12:05 PM

1,700 posts, read 3,423,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vincent pucci View Post
Last time I went back to visit my parents there road was cluttered with broken beer bottles, empty cigarette packs all over the street and houses were boarded up. I then went tot he deli seen Hookers on William Floyd Pkwy during the day, and homeless guys peeing in the street. Mastic is the sewer system on LI, it should be under ground in a sewer pipe or leach field.
Well for someone who's other postings are very concerned with where the hookers are and how they can be found, it seems very odd that you are finding their alleged presence objectionable.

Old 04-10-2011, 04:35 PM

2,033 posts, read 3,205,741 times
Look at familywatchddog.us . This might shed some light on why. People do ,especially those with kids look at this critera b4 buying anywhere.

Old 04-13-2011, 08:26 AM

1,609 posts, read 4,685,833 times
Default What makes Mastic So bad?

Simply ride around the area a picture is worth a thousand words.

Old 04-13-2011, 08:50 AM

62 posts, read 113,663 times
my hubby calss mastic "mistake" lol

Old 04-13-2011, 11:26 AM

1,700 posts, read 3,423,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by long island POSTER View Post
my hubby calss mastic "mistake" lol
I love it. I'd like you to re-read your post. Then come to the correct conclusion that you are no better than anyone else regardless of where they live.

Old 09-14-2011, 11:08 PM

2 posts, read 4,983 times
my family is origionlly from shirley and now lives in mastic. I grew up in NJ but most of my family is stuck in mastic selling drugs and broke. needless to say i've spent alot of time in the area growing up. it can be nice but it can be really grizley. while its true that not everyone is bad, even the good people inevitably run into the bad one. 4 christmases ago my uncles best friend and his fiance were killed by a guy that stole a truck and ran. never caught him. 3 winters ago my mom, dad, and uncle were in the car in the driveway of our house and some drunk guy drove into them and ran. my uncle is still getting surgeries to this day. when i was 12 i saw a kid get gasoline poured all over him and his house and lit on fire by some black dude in a fight. it was pretty nasty. i really dont recommend mastic as an area to raise ur kids if its avoidable. granted one of my cousins kept her Moderator cut: language deleted
together and is doing amazing, but my other is in jail for a sawed off shotgun. and alot of black people are moving in, not to be racist but they bring alot of violent crime and gang stuff with them. also the reservation is where all the dogfights r held and everything. i really wish i could get my family out, i strongly recommend you dont move your family in

Last edited by nancy thereader; 09-15-2011 at 07:11 PM..

Old 09-15-2011, 05:44 AM

1,606 posts, read 2,960,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleboy262 View Post
my family is origionlly from shirley and now lives in mastic
You know this can't go well starting like this.

Old 09-15-2011, 06:28 PM

166 posts, read 313,547 times
And just this week, a mom brokering fights between 12 year old girls, and an elementary school administrator arrested for domestic assault. Thugs at all levels
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island