Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2006, 02:12 PM
Mic Mic started this thread

2 posts, read 6,790 times

Advertisements

Hi, i'm from France and in the next month i'll be in Southempton. Could You write me some informations about this town?
Where could i get the cheapest place to stay, and how much will it cost?
HOW can i get there from JFK airport?
Where can i spend there my free time?
And all kind of other informations about Southempton.
Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2006, 03:10 PM

1,035 posts, read 2,907,324 times
South Hampton is at the end of the island...a beach community..Cheap, I do not know if that exists out there...JFK takes you to the belt parkway and then there are three main highways (southern state, northern and LIE) which takes you out there but once the highway ends, there is more of a journey. I suggest you mapquest it or yahoo map it...free time - on the beach...google the area and you;ll find things to do..have a great time!!

Old 06-30-2006, 08:45 PM

161 posts, read 1,049,445 times
Mic, Don't want to scare you away because Long Island has some beautiful areas and the Hamptons are some of them. There is East Hampton, West Hampton and Hampton Bay and they are the "hamptons". This area is about 90 miles east of NYC can be a three to four hour drive during high traffic. As far as cheap. My brother sells realestate out there. He has summer rentals. These are homes that peolpe rent out for a two month period. He doesn't have many under $70,000 and many are $140,000 for a two month rental. If you are not familiar with the US dollar, those amounts exceed the yearly salary of most middle class people like cops, nurses, carpenter. Those values also exceed the total cost of a home in so many other areas. Bare in mind those high realestate costs affect every business with high overhead, therefore everything is more expensive. IT is pretty, a bit overrated and definitely over crowded. Consider looking at a a bed and breakfast in Greenport. It is the North fork of Long Island, a bit pricey but less than the Hamptons and less crowded, definitely as pretty.

Old 07-05-2006, 12:46 PM
Mic Mic started this thread

2 posts, read 6,790 times
THX, so Southempton is expencive that sux..
Mabey could YOU say something about Shinnecock Hills?
I checked it on mapquest and it looks a littlebit bigger then Southempton.. so it would be more expensive?

Old 07-05-2006, 04:53 PM

2 posts, read 13,273 times
Default Newspaper link

Here's a link to a recent article in our newspaper regarding the shortage of workers in the Hamptons due to the high cost of housing. (you may have to cut and paste) http://www.newsday.com/news/local/longisland/ny-lijobs264796570jun26,0,5282066.story (broken link)

The Hamptons are a nice place to visit but quite exclusive.

Old 07-15-2006, 05:05 PM

58 posts, read 416,851 times
Default Southampton

I am a retired New York City Police Officer and the personal driver to a Southampton/NYC resident and the closest I can get to living in the Hamptons is when I drive the Lady out to her summer home.

Old 08-05-2008, 07:12 AM

1,229 posts, read 2,912,220 times
I would not attempt to go there if you cant spell it! they will eat you alive..I know a old post, but i just had to say it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island