Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2009, 06:20 PM

1,917 posts, read 5,344,339 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KENNY GUIDO View Post
believe me, you can. you have no idea how much the big guys make a profit on something like this.

Um, yes I do!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2009, 10:42 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,741,790 times
Heres a list of different styles: Two Car Garage Plans and 2 Car Garage Building Plans

If its a plain jane no frills above the foundation, then most likely you would be correct in your assumption to be in the 15-20 range. But if you drive by newer homes, they are not plain jane. People want to put in more than two cars. Then there is the alternative which is a prefab garage. You can probably get a 24x24 for about 12k. Add the prep, labor, permits, delivery, finishing and the bills add up quickly. Even though housing prices have slumped, building materials have increased in cost. Many people think contractors make tons of pure profit, but they have expenses like everyone else.

And since the OP hasn't posted since July, this thread is moot.

Old 12-23-2009, 07:29 AM

551 posts, read 1,575,840 times
Conversations like this are sort of humorous. This is like how much does a car cost? Well, the Yugo is defintely a little cheaper.

Usually, people want a detached garage to compliment the house. If you have cedar shake or brick siding, inclding that on the garage alone could add as much as the total budgets mentioned here. In my town, a two car garage requires gutters, and drywells. What about side doors? Windows? Insullation? Sheetrock? Electric? Water? Sure, you can get a fiberglass overhead door for $800. Or a wood carriage door for $5,000+.

Old 12-23-2009, 10:00 AM

1,386 posts, read 5,345,801 times
I think the answer is just get some quotes and pick a contractor you trust. It ain't hard to build a garage if you have some necessary building skills and some plans in front of you.

I doubt you need a real architect for a garage, unless you're talking high end. Any builder should be able to include someone to draw it included in the price.

I don't know how much it costs, but 40K seems high, less than 20K seems low. 3-4 quotes should really shake out how much it should cost.

Old 12-23-2009, 10:10 AM

9,322 posts, read 16,661,006 times
We had a 20x22 workshop built which includes plumbing, electric, several windows, sheet rock, vaulted roof, two car garqage door, and heat. Plans were for a room addition to house along with workshop and cost $800 for architect. Total cost was about $35K. Depending on the area you live, the contractor price will vary per square foot.

Old 12-23-2009, 01:28 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,712,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellwood View Post
We had a 20x22 workshop built which includes plumbing, electric, several windows, sheet rock, vaulted roof, two car garqage door, and heat. Plans were for a room addition to house along with workshop and cost $800 for architect. Total cost was about $35K. Depending on the area you live, the contractor price will vary per square foot.

Amend that to: depending upon the materials and options you select, the contractor price will vary.

As someone else has written, cost of siding, doors (and openers or no openers) side doors, windows, roofing, insulation, sheetrock, alarm system, electric to code, plumbing to code (or no plumbing?) not to mention the framing lumber and sheathing, will affect the price considerably.

I can build two identical shells, but if homeowner one wants cedar shingles 5" to the weather with a 50 year roof and carriage doors, and homeowner two wants the builder's special vinyl, 10 no frills roof and HD special door, we will see big price differences.

Old 12-23-2009, 01:29 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,712,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisk327 View Post
I think the answer is just get some quotes and pick a contractor you trust. It ain't hard to build a garage if you have some necessary building skills and some plans in front of you.

I doubt you need a real architect for a garage, unless you're talking high end. Any builder should be able to include someone to draw it included in the price.

I don't know how much it costs, but 40K seems high, less than 20K seems low. 3-4 quotes should really shake out how much it should cost.
Depending on the town and the size, the town will require stamped plans.

Old 12-23-2009, 01:35 PM

1,917 posts, read 5,344,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilVA View Post
Heres a list of different styles: Two Car Garage Plans and 2 Car Garage Building Plans

If its a plain jane no frills above the foundation, then most likely you would be correct in your assumption to be in the 15-20 range. But if you drive by newer homes, they are not plain jane. People want to put in more than two cars. Then there is the alternative which is a prefab garage. You can probably get a 24x24 for about 12k. Add the prep, labor, permits, delivery, finishing and the bills add up quickly. Even though housing prices have slumped, building materials have increased in cost. Many people think contractors make tons of pure profit, but they have expenses like everyone else.

And since the OP hasn't posted since July, this thread is moot.

Thanks for that link.
I've been put off by the contractors i've gotten quotes from. They seemed to have a hard time justifing their quote. Like someone said earlier, When buying a car you expect the salesman to at least justify why car x cost 60K more than car y!
I agree with you regarding contractor costs. I find it laughable that people think because the industry slowed, things should cost half as much. Usually a slow down brings costs up, not down. That said I don't exactly have a positive opinion about contractors. Most aren't what you would call cream of the crop.

Old 12-23-2009, 06:55 PM

10 posts, read 84,689 times
Well I am now getting estimates for my two car. Should have a few quotes by right after new years so I will report back and let you know how I made out.

Old 12-24-2009, 06:17 AM

1,056 posts, read 2,140,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
Amend that to: depending upon the materials and options you select, the contractor price will vary.

As someone else has written, cost of siding, doors (and openers or no openers) side doors, windows, roofing, insulation, sheetrock, alarm system, electric to code, plumbing to code (or no plumbing?) not to mention the framing lumber and sheathing, will affect the price considerably.

I can build two identical shells, but if homeowner one wants cedar shingles 5" to the weather with a 50 year roof and carriage doors, and homeowner two wants the builder's special vinyl, 10 no frills roof and HD special door, we will see big price differences.

dont forget the nails and hurricane straps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: