Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2009, 11:01 AM

9,341 posts, read 29,685,492 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
F'dale has a village ...
Farmingdale is a village, and it's one of those many villages and hamlets on Long Island where the majority of the places with the community name as part of their mailing address are not in the village.

Places that have a "Farmingdale, NY 11735" mailing address that are not in the Village of Farmingdale are in the Hamlet of South Farmingdale, the Hamlet of Plainedge and the Hamlet of Old Bethpage in the Town of Oyster Bay, Nassau County as well as in the Hamlet of East Farmingdale and the Hamlet of Wyandanch in the Town of Babylon, Suffolk County.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
... close to Route 110 as well.
That would be the Hamlet of East Farmingdale in the Town of Babylon, Suffolk County.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2009, 02:04 PM

2,845 posts, read 10,511,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer06 View Post
Though you were a bit off about schools - one of the most important things to me (right after after safety and on par with general comfort) is education. Top education.

So..... writing to say thank you - big thank you for continuing to offer me advice. And also I'm sorry if I insulted anyone.

Any other input more than welcome. We're still not familiar w/the towns in Nassau, though did feel the feel. Love the south shore feel, but would barely know a single thing about any town. Thoughts for us about Massapequa, Merrick, Oceanside, Baldwin...? Or any others based on what I've added? (E.g., where can I look at private schools by geography?)

Opinions about rentals in these areas, too? I kind of want to test the waters this time before I lose over $100k again if something is as wrong as this last purchase was!

Jen
Jennifer, the "top schools" on LI equate to some of the best schools in America. On your budget there is just no way it's feasible to get into a district like that...what I was trying to say is that even though the vast majority of districts aren't on that level, they are still very close to it. You can look at just about every little morsel of school data you could imagine on the NY State School Report Cards (https://www.nystart.gov/publicweb/County.do?year=2008&county=Nassau - broken link) website. You won't find an enormous difference between top-tier and "average" schools, the biggest margin is in the prestige associated with the names.

Glad you liked the areas you saw. Let us know how your search goes!

Old 04-27-2009, 03:04 PM

330 posts, read 888,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexanderdennis View Post
you can look in Merrick area . Excell schools
shoping galore - does not matter wher you live in Merrick, you are close - to : Waldbaums, Stop and Shop, Pathmark , trader's joe , GAP, Drug Stores, Cleaners ....and so on
If you want to go to malls . Fine - less than 8 min and there you are - Old Country RD- with everything that you need - from Macys , Bloomingdale, Norstdorm to the small boutiques, discount stroe- Marshalls , Old Navy, and you name it...
Merrick is conv. located to Highways - which makes the comute to Queens , NY , Brookly - a breeze.... or to eastern LI ....
Close to the beaches - Jones Beach, Lido, Atlantic,....
Close to the pools
several Jewish Temples in the area..
Travel time to Manhattan - 40 min . by train.
And still i think you can find something in your price range - smaller house with smaller lot
South Merrick - is more expensive because the close proximity to the water...
Good part about Merrick - Not Bad areas or good areas....- I mean - it is safe - good schools.
Of course there will be areas that are more expensive than the others-
And as far as the resale value it is holding up.
Whatever i could get for $ 400 ' in 2004 - I would get in 2005 / 2006 - and even today - the prices did not double overnight in this area and so the deflation is not like a risk...
The problem now is that the houses are not selling as fast as they were selling before.
Family orientated.
friendly people..
I moved in 5 yrs ago - very happy.
Education - top noch

With Bellmore - nice area - but North Bellmore has some sections with .. not so good reputation
Massapequa - is diveded in 2 school districts ... Amitiville and Massapequa... one is good one not so..
i avoided the areas that were diveded in good section and bad section .
freeport - again schools - not very good reput.
Good sections / bad sections/
If you want more info on Merrick - send me a PM.
I agree merrick is a nice choice, but I don't know about the whole 'insulated from the bubble' thing, sounds like wishful thinking from a local resident.

Explain to me how this is not a bubble. 1997>>212k, 2006>>520k

Merrick, NY
Property Class 1500-2000 sq ft
year---total sales---- median neighborhood price
2009 --38 ------$475,000
2008 -- 279 ----$472,000
2007 --339 ----$513,000
2006 --376 ---- $520,000
2005 -- 373 ---- $525,000
2004 --384 ---- $460,000
2003 --342 ---- $420,000
2002 --278 ---- $393,000
2001 --255 ----$317,000
2000 -- 265 ---- $290,000
1999 -- 221 ----$266,000
1998 --293 ----$225,000
1997 --260 ----$212,500
PropertyShark - Real Estate Maps, Foreclosures, Property Reports and Comparables

I think you will be hard pressed to find many places in long island that did not bubble and are insulated from deflation.

Old 04-27-2009, 05:37 PM

110 posts, read 225,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer06 View Post
I began this thread asking about densely populated areas in Nassau. I asked about Baldwin. I want to learn about Nassau County. My search isn't narrow - I gave an example of a place I like, the reasons I do and the reasons I don't. So why are you posting solely to tell me to expand my search? Do you have any input other than reiterating that I need to search, which is what I'm doing and the reason I'm posting? If not, please don't make a stressful situation more stressful for me. If you wouldn't say something to someone in person, don't do so online.
Crazy much?

Old 04-27-2009, 11:14 PM

1,010 posts, read 3,931,272 times
From what I saw on MLS last year, Merrick seemed to be undergoing quite a correction. There were some very, very good buys.

Old 04-28-2009, 12:04 AM

99 posts, read 310,175 times
Wow, what an interesting thread, and if I ever have to pick a winning team in an arguing contest, I hope all of you are on my side

seriously, just about everyone that replied had real good point to make about what Jennifer 6 is looking for,but as someone else mentioned a while ago, you may want to consider Eastern Queens...I know a lot of people in Nassau and Suffolk look at anywhere in the city as a "no-no" in terms of living, but there are still a lot of desirable neighborhoods by the Nassau County border , most of of these places have Jewish communities and some where the Asain population is over 50%!! I would look into: Douglaston, Little Necck, Bayside and Auberndale.

The only things your not going to find is a really short commute and real densely populated area, but then again the same can be said for Mineola and New Hyde Park, the later town being only 10 minutes from most of the neighborhoods I mentioned....

$350k? your prob looking more towards $400k for a small house , but at least the chance of losing money in your investment anytime soon , is slim and none....

Old 04-28-2009, 04:44 AM

330 posts, read 888,071 times
small houses in bayside, douglaston and little neck, is that possible for even under 600K?

Old 04-29-2009, 02:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northeastcouple View Post
Wow, what an interesting thread, and if I ever have to pick a winning team in an arguing contest, I hope all of you are on my side

seriously, just about everyone that replied had real good point to make about what Jennifer 6 is looking for,but as someone else mentioned a while ago, you may want to consider Eastern Queens...I know a lot of people in Nassau and Suffolk look at anywhere in the city as a "no-no" in terms of living, but there are still a lot of desirable neighborhoods by the Nassau County border , most of of these places have Jewish communities and some where the Asain population is over 50%!! I would look into: Douglaston, Little Necck, Bayside and Auberndale.

The only things your not going to find is a really short commute and real densely populated area, but then again the same can be said for Mineola and New Hyde Park, the later town being only 10 minutes from most of the neighborhoods I mentioned....

$350k? your prob looking more towards $400k for a small house , but at least the chance of losing money in your investment anytime soon , is slim and none....
Great neighborhoods, but I'm with djdp - don't think you'll find much, if anything, at $400k. I just looked on MLSLI and only got 2 results. One of em is actually a pretty cute looking cottage in Little Neck, the other a "handyman special" semi-attached in Bayside, though very close to being in Flushing. Taxes are a drop in the bucket compared to Nassau, so perhaps that moves the OP's price range up a bit....but I dunno about the commute to Hauppauge. I've never done it, but it seems like it would be hell. At least you're fairly close to the expressway in any of those neighborhoods.

Old 05-03-2009, 09:46 PM

99 posts, read 310,175 times
sean Sean Sean Sean, and DJDairyP: I want to correct myself when I put the $400k out there as a base price,for Eastern Queens.that is indeed prob. more for a handyman special, you prob have to add at least another $150k for a better home...but as Sean mentioned the taxes are far less in Queens I would say literally less than half of what you would pay in Nassau for a comparable home...down the road it may indeed be a decent trade off in terms of finances
As Sean mentioned LIE is only a few minute drive (for any of these neighborhoods)and the same for the Northern State ....I would like to say the commute to Happauge would be only about 50 minutes with only moderate traffic for Jennifers husband.

Old 05-03-2009, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northeastcouple View Post
sean Sean Sean Sean, and DJDairyP: I want to correct myself when I put the $400k out there as a base price,for Eastern Queens.that is indeed prob. more for a handyman special, you prob have to add at least another $150k for a better home...but as Sean mentioned the taxes are far less in Queens I would say literally less than half of what you would pay in Nassau for a comparable home...down the road it may indeed be a decent trade off in terms of finances
As Sean mentioned LIE is only a few minute drive (for any of these neighborhoods)and the same for the Northern State ....I would like to say the commute to Happauge would be only about 50 minutes with only moderate traffic for Jennifers husband.
What do you think of Fresh Meadows? There was nothing on MLSLI.com under $400k, but there are a few nice looking places in the $450-$550 range....and the taxes are at least half of what you'd pay in Nassau, probably less. I know the area well and think it's excellent, seems to fit most of the criteria....but I don't know anyone who lives there with kids....so are the schools any good? How about Oakland Gardens, Hollis Hills & Glen Oaks? I'm even less familiar with those places, but they look pretty nice. Just throwing some names out there!

50 minute commute is also getting kind of long, but still not awful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island