Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2009, 07:31 AM

1,010 posts, read 3,930,196 times

Advertisements

The schools in that area are good, as long as you're still in District 26. Oakland Gardens and Hollis Hills are zoned to Cardozo (not entirely sure of the southern border of the zone). Main issue in this area is overcrowding--Cardozo in particular is brutally overcrowded.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2009, 06:29 AM

28 posts, read 79,246 times
All this reports are OFf
As well as the Zillow .com and so on.
Since I moved to Merrick - in 2004 - the same thing that I could buy with 400' the same think i could buy now.
there are few listings with a very low price - but we are talking about 2 bedrooms - on a 35 - 40 x 100 lot.
Maybe it is not like before - that you put a new kitchen in a house and boom you make a 100 grands at flipping.
The depreciation is not bad.
The appreciation and the time that they sit on the market is another issue.

I made this mistake - looking at the reports and listening to this so called economists in the media - in 2001,2002,2003 - that the prices are inflated and so - and I ended up in 2004 paying almost double compared with 2001.
When i bought my house - I was buying a home where I can raise my family.
It was not like a kind of - I am buying now - and sell it a year later and make a quick buck.
Under this perspective you can see a correction - the houses do not appreciate so fast like it used to.
But as far as the depreciation - not much .

Quote:
Originally Posted by djdairyp View Post
I agree merrick is a nice choice, but I don't know about the whole 'insulated from the bubble' thing, sounds like wishful thinking from a local resident.

Explain to me how this is not a bubble. 1997>>212k, 2006>>520k

Merrick, NY
Property Class 1500-2000 sq ft
year---total sales---- median neighborhood price
2009 --38 ------$475,000
2008 -- 279 ----$472,000
2007 --339 ----$513,000
2006 --376 ---- $520,000
2005 -- 373 ---- $525,000
2004 --384 ---- $460,000
2003 --342 ---- $420,000
2002 --278 ---- $393,000
2001 --255 ----$317,000
2000 -- 265 ---- $290,000
1999 -- 221 ----$266,000
1998 --293 ----$225,000
1997 --260 ----$212,500
PropertyShark - Real Estate Maps, Foreclosures, Property Reports and Comparables

I think you will be hard pressed to find many places in long island that did not bubble and are insulated from deflation.

Old 05-12-2009, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexisT View Post
From what I saw on MLS last year, Merrick seemed to be undergoing quite a correction. There were some very, very good buys.

Yes for few short sales - I think under 10 and some handyman specials , or some 2 bedrooms on 35x 100 lot or very ,very smalls capes/ cottages.

Old 05-12-2009, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northeastcouple View Post
Wow, what an interesting thread, and if I ever have to pick a winning team in an arguing contest, I hope all of you are on my side

seriously, just about everyone that replied had real good point to make about what Jennifer 6 is looking for,but as someone else mentioned a while ago, you may want to consider Eastern Queens...I know a lot of people in Nassau and Suffolk look at anywhere in the city as a "no-no" in terms of living, but there are still a lot of desirable neighborhoods by the Nassau County border , most of of these places have Jewish communities and some where the Asain population is over 50%!! I would look into: Douglaston, Little Necck, Bayside and Auberndale.

The only things your not going to find is a really short commute and real densely populated area, but then again the same can be said for Mineola and New Hyde Park, the later town being only 10 minutes from most of the neighborhoods I mentioned....

$350k? your prob looking more towards $400k for a small house , but at least the chance of losing money in your investment anytime soon , is slim and none....

You have to be realistic .
Do not even think about 350 - 400 in those areas - not even for a small house or a handyman special.
I know investors that pay in 700 ' or more for a complete - tear down .

Old 02-17-2010, 12:31 PM

2 posts, read 3,430 times
Oceanside or Baldwin may fit your requirements. In both cases the schools are rated well and housing can be found but you must be willing to look. Owner financing, a fixer upper or and estate might be options.
Good luck.

Old 07-17-2010, 11:08 AM

4 posts, read 8,506 times
not sure if the OP is still interested, almost 4 months out but if so...

first, I was born and raised in North East Queens (Fresh Meadows/Bayside border) and still live here in Windsor Park coops in Oakland Gardens (Bayside). I also communted by car to Hauppauge everyday for over a year.

The schools in these areas are all in SD #26 which has continously been rated the top ranking school disctirct in Queens for many many years...since i went and still is, so thats been 20 or more year run now.

Are they overcrowded as another poster said? Yes, many are. It was something that I was used to and so were my parents so they dealt with it because I was getting a top notch education, in a diverse area (I am Jewish...not so many Jews but enough and Bayside is definately more Jewish than some other parts) and plenty of Asians and other races as well, for sure. Some elementary schools were probally a little less crowded than others but as you moved up to HS, it was VERY dense. I went to Cardozo and yes extremely packed with students. It was still rated and was a great, top, school.

Im most areas of North East Queens, you wouldnt find a problem finding ahome that is walkable to many necessities.

HOWEVER, yes, it is almost impossible to find something under 500 or so in these areas even if you are willing to take something with an outdated interior. But I wholeheartedly agree that the taxes are so much lower that maybe your price range can go up.

Oh, and for the commute. I did get used to it I guess (still commute to Commack and back everyday) but was it long? Yes. 50% of the time traffic (atleast coming back West)? yes. It was bearable though and again, love the area and great schools, extremely safe.

On to LI...I probally shouldnt even reccommend this because I really hard know much about the area but there are extremely well priced homes in Lake Grove and I believe its a great area with great schools (sachem...i want to say?). It's very close to Hauppauge. As far as walkable to things, i dont know. Hopefully someone else could ellaborate on Lake Grove.

I personally think Huntington or East Northport would be a good choice for you...im very surprised noone mentioned those areas. Within Huntington, there are a few different school disctircts. Some rated very highly.

Now, as far as New Hyde Park, Mineola, Williston Park, Herricks. Yes, diversity is on par with what you are looking for I believe...many not a very large Jewish community in each, but I would say a solid Jewish presence in a few of those areas and definately Asian. Very very good schools and I believe Herricks and Williston Park are at the top of that list for schools. Again, pricing might be a bit difficult but prices have come down and you can get a small home in Mineola or NHP for under 350 I believe (actually going to look at some tomorrow L-) ) Williston Park and Herricks, admittedly harder on that money

Now, there is Locust Valley which I hear the LIRR is not good so I maybe shouldnt even mention it but I do hear that its great schools and a very nice area and there are probally about 15 homes under 350 and relatively low taxes.

good luck.

Old 07-17-2010, 01:31 PM

217 posts, read 573,348 times
Northeast Queens and the South Shore (Baldwin, etc) are both quite far from Hauppauge, especially during rush hour on the LIE.

I really do think you'd be hard pressed to find a neighborhood with a large Jewish population and stellar school district for $350k in Nassau County. Can I suggest Huntington in Suffolk County? While the Jewish population isn't overwhelming (like in Great Neck and the Five Towns), there are at least three Temples there, and the town is really very nice and has some pretty affordable real estate.

What about Dix Hills? That's also in Suffolk County, but much closer to Hauppauge and has a lovely conservative temple with a great Rabbi.

If you could expand your budget a bit, I'd suggest Plainview, Syosset, and Glen Cove.

Old 11-28-2011, 01:25 PM

9 posts, read 27,234 times
Default your question

Franklin Square-West Hempstead is the fastest growing AFFORDABLE Jewish community in west central Nassau County.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Frank...92471694152874

Old 10-24-2015, 08:18 AM

200 posts, read 210,775 times
Did OP ever find their home here on LI?

Old 10-24-2015, 08:57 AM

4,697 posts, read 8,756,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslander21 View Post
Did OP ever find their home here on LI?
yes! She was at last year's 4th Annual Walter Greenspan Memorial Summer BBQ held in Rocky Point where she told us how she was able to find a beautiful house in Locust Valley for 339,000.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island