Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2009, 04:58 AM

1,056 posts, read 2,140,106 times

Advertisements

I might mention that the more education a teacher has, the more money they make.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2009, 05:44 AM

7,658 posts, read 19,168,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KENNY GUIDO View Post
I might mention that the more education a teacher has, the more money they make.

"You might rabbit.....you might."

Old 04-20-2009, 06:34 AM

294 posts, read 610,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djdairyp View Post
Whats the difference, who cares about specific teachers. Does it matter if you know what Mr Sanderson is making? Eveyone says they are just want to know teachers salaries, these are it. All you need to know is how long they have been teaching and assume they have a masters and you will have their approximate salary from the schedule within a few thousand, or you could get a pretty reliable range based on what their level of schooling might be beyond a master. If you want to know about a specific teacher go to open school night and ask them how long they have been teaching.

These are the salaries teachers get period, and most get nearly that amount with maybe a little more for a club or something. Additional salaries such as coaching positions, summer school and etc. should not really be counted because those are available for anyone, and would be considered like hiring and additional person to complete those jobs. They are district expenditures but theoretically could be given to anyone and is not really part of the teaching related salary ... if a teacher wasn't getting this money, someone else outside would be hired and get it. The biggest add on though is coaching money and you don't have to be a teacher, anyone could apply for that. That is the reason the 200k islip teacher is silly, because thats not his teaching salary, that includes his many coaching duties, activities and summer school .. its like 3 people in one.
Is it important to know what every cop or firefighter is making or every state and city employee or worker at a public authority? Maybe...maybe not, but their salaries are there for all to see. Since that precedent has been set, I think that all employees on the public payroll should be held to that same standard. That is all I am saying.

Old 04-20-2009, 07:00 AM

13,510 posts, read 17,030,950 times
What, you want names so you can go to their houses with pitchforks? Their salaries are public record, but that's not enough information for angry LI'ers? Sheesh.

Old 04-20-2009, 08:10 AM

7,658 posts, read 19,168,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHP Guy View Post
Is it important to know what every cop or firefighter is making or every state and city employee or worker at a public authority? Maybe...maybe not, but their salaries are there for all to see. Since that precedent has been set, I think that all employees on the public payroll should be held to that same standard. That is all I am saying.
Precisely my point.

Crooks

Old 04-20-2009, 09:34 AM

929 posts, read 2,068,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atypicalLIer View Post
Newsday has a history of biased reporting PERIOD.
Please point me to the periodical of your preference that doesn't report with a biased slant? To argue against the Newsday bias, they estimated only 17% of teachers in these two districts made above 100k. The actual numbers are 27%. Over 1/4 of teachers made six figures.

Newsday is going to report things that are of interest to their readers. I feel for the people of Central Islip. The teacher in question made 55k for teaching summer swim school and as a swimming coach. That's a good salary in itself for most people that are in CI. In fact, I'm pretty sure that alone is above the household income for the area.

Also, the rest of the article is quite interesting. I see a lot of arguing on this board that teachers, on a whole, don't make quite as much as would be implied by the press. 89,000 for the average teacher in East Islip is a lot higher than the common "most teachers don't make 60k in my district" argument I see on these forums.

In the end, teachers salaries do vary greatly from one district to another and most teachers do work hard for the 10 months they do work. But, this story is a bit absurd and really does go far to justify a lot of the complaints that people have on these boards as to teachers salaries.

Old 04-20-2009, 09:42 AM

852 posts, read 2,017,180 times
Default Huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocafeller05 View Post
$200,000 for a science teacher in Central Islip? Something is def. wrong here. I think every district should release the entire pay roll for every on it. Then decide where to cut the fat!

Central Islip, East Islip school district wages posted -- Newsday.com (http://www.newsday.com/news/local/ny-liteac1812665687apr18,0,2413215.story - broken link)
How much should this teacher receive?

Old 04-20-2009, 09:51 AM

852 posts, read 2,017,180 times
Default You aren't making sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomonlineli View Post
Please point me to the periodical of your preference that doesn't report with a biased slant? To argue against the Newsday bias, they estimated only 17% of teachers in these two districts made above 100k. The actual numbers are 27%. Over 1/4 of teachers made six figures.

Newsday is going to report things that are of interest to their readers. I feel for the people of Central Islip. The teacher in question made 55k for teaching summer swim school and as a swimming coach. That's a good salary in itself for most people that are in CI. In fact, I'm pretty sure that alone is above the household income for the area.

Also, the rest of the article is quite interesting. I see a lot of arguing on this board that teachers, on a whole, don't make quite as much as would be implied by the press. 89,000 for the average teacher in East Islip is a lot higher than the common "most teachers don't make 60k in my district" argument I see on these forums.

In the end, teachers salaries do vary greatly from one district to another and most teachers do work hard for the 10 months they do work. But, this story is a bit absurd and really does go far to justify a lot of the complaints that people have on these boards as to teachers salaries.
1) It is impossible to look at anything from any standpoint and no be biased. It seems more like you are arguing that Newsday is ADVOCATING. What do they have to gain by advocating for teachers and their pay? Unless some cogent motive is outlined, I think this amounts to groundless griping.

2) You present very different numbers here. How were both sets of numbers compiled. Are you suggesting that Newsday is manufacturing numbers? How do you know that the people that compiled the stats you are using weren't biased in some manner? Without knowing the answers to those questions, I'd have to believe that a system with an editor is sharing more valid numbers than an anonymous griper on City-Data.

3) You can check out the average salary at the USCensus.gov. Then make your comparisons. Otherwise you are sharing your feelings.

4) Because I don't think of teachers as average people with average skills, I think they should be paid above average for their community. Where did you develop the notion that no teacher should earn more than the average wage earner in their neighborhood? Can you please justify that?

5) If the average teacher on LI earns $89,000, I'd be interested if pension contributions, insurance and other benefits are being factored into this measure of compensation. If so, then it is probably accurate that many take home less than $60/year. I would also be more interested in learning the median teacher salary, as opposed to the average, as there are probably outliers helping to exaggerate that number.

Old 04-20-2009, 10:44 AM

294 posts, read 610,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadPool1998 View Post
5) If the average teacher on LI earns $89,000, I'd be interested if pension contributions, insurance and other benefits are being factored into this measure of compensation. If so, then it is probably accurate that many take home less than $60/year. I would also be more interested in learning the median teacher salary, as opposed to the average, as there are probably outliers helping to exaggerate that number.
You kind of get a mixed bag with the reporting on SeeThroughNY. My salary that took effect in March 2008 is being reported. It appears that they excluded our incentive compensation (i.e. in AIG speak a "bonus" in the amount of ~4% of base pay on average for all salaried employees). Our pension contributions, insurance and other benefits do not figure into the numbers shown. Overtime pay is not applicable for salaried employees at NYPA as it takes an act of God for that to occur. I haven't received 1 cent of O.T. pay in my nearly 20 years here.

For Central Islip UFSD, it appears that they are giving both their base pay and their total compensation, but I have no idea what goes into the mix for "total compensation". My guess is that the benefits info is not included in those numbers. For East Islip UFSD they only provide a total compensation amount.

As a quick aside, it appears that the NYPD salaries (or at least those of my friends) are just their base pay. So, it underscores the point that you have to be careful when trying to make sense of any of the salary info that is reported on SeeThroughNY.

Old 04-20-2009, 01:54 PM

8,681 posts, read 11,073,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomonlineli View Post
In the end, teachers salaries do vary greatly from one district to another and most teachers do work hard for the 10 months they do work.
Teachers work less than 10 months. Its amazing they have spring break, winter break, all christian & jewish holidays, etc etc. I would pin it closer to 9 months, probably less.

Of course the drawback is that teacher's vaca is more expensive & limited to a certain time frame.

I am sure a nice handful of teachers are hardworkers & work beyond the so called school time. But its also true that many teachers such as my sister who work on the side for extra money such as tutoring & outside school activities. The neat thing about this profession is they have a choice augment their compensation when it needs to be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island