Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2009, 01:37 PM

20 posts, read 73,510 times

Advertisements

Hello

I apologize in advance if at anytime throughout this thread I sound completely clueless and naive, but it’s the truth! I am a 25 year old young professional looking to take advantage of current real estate market conditions and of course the first time home buyers credit!

I am currently renting a 2 bedroom apartment in Valley Stream with my girlfriend and we have had enough of renting and the especially the town itself. After looking at home in various areas we have decided that we would like to find a home in Massapequa.

Now comes the fun part, how much will it all cost per month?

We've realized that it is pretty hard to find a home that doesn’t need any major renovations for under $400k in Massapequa. We both have great jobs, minimal debt, and a combined income of let’s say $150,000-185,000/yr.

We have a good handle on how much the mortgage and taxes will cost on a monthly basis, but what about utilities and other costs?

Can anyone give us a range of the costs in Massapequa for:

Heat

Electric

Water

Cable/Internet

Other monthly home costs that we may have not considered (landscaping, seasonal costs, etc)

I know that some of the numbers are subjective, but any ranges or averages you can bring to the table will help.

We are used to paying $1700 in rent a month (all utilities/cable included) and our general living costs then saving as much as possible. We know that our new bank will be the home once we move in but want to have a good idea of the true costs of owning a home before we place an offer.

Thanks in advance for all of your help!

Last edited by RGugs87; 04-20-2009 at 01:39 PM.. Reason: issues with pasting text
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2009, 02:34 PM

1,615 posts, read 3,581,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RGugs87 View Post
Hello

I apologize in advance if at anytime throughout this thread I sound completely clueless and naive, but it’s the truth! I am a 25 year old young professional looking to take advantage of current real estate market conditions and of course the first time home buyers credit!

I am currently renting a 2 bedroom apartment in Valley Stream with my girlfriend and we have had enough of renting and the especially the town itself. After looking at home in various areas we have decided that we would like to find a home in Massapequa.

Now comes the fun part, how much will it all cost per month?

We've realized that it is pretty hard to find a home that doesn’t need any major renovations for under $400k in Massapequa. We both have great jobs, minimal debt, and a combined income of let’s say $150,000-185,000/yr.

We have a good handle on how much the mortgage and taxes will cost on a monthly basis, but what about utilities and other costs?

Can anyone give us a range of the costs in Massapequa for:

Heat

Electric

Water

Cable/Internet

Other monthly home costs that we may have not considered (landscaping, seasonal costs, etc)

I know that some of the numbers are subjective, but any ranges or averages you can bring to the table will help.

We are used to paying $1700 in rent a month (all utilities/cable included) and our general living costs then saving as much as possible. We know that our new bank will be the home once we move in but want to have a good idea of the true costs of owning a home before we place an offer.

Thanks in advance for all of your help!
You should wait awhile. I know renting isn't the best but the market is still falling. You have plenty of time.

Old 04-20-2009, 02:37 PM

22,668 posts, read 36,792,894 times
These things depend more on the size of your home (heat, electric) and the type of service you have for heat (gas? oil?) than what town you are in. I live in about a !800 sq foot house and my gas bill is $136 a month (budgeted thru the utility) and the electric is about $250/month (also budgeted) - I have gas for everything (heat, water heater, stove and dryer). IF you have oil, it depends on how much oil is that year. Both of these are also contingent on your usage - we are home all day and so we heat the house all day and use the lights/t.v./computer all day. IF you are both working you can conserve more. We have our thermostat on a timer and dual-zone as well.

Water is cheap - about $150/YEAR

Cable and internet - no different than what you are paying now - has nothing to do with it being in a house.

Homeowner's insurance - also dependent on size and type of house.

Haven't used a landscaper in years but used to pay $22 for basic service that never turned out to be basic - be careful what you sign up for.

Good luck.

Old 04-20-2009, 02:43 PM

6,384 posts, read 13,158,192 times
//www.city-data.com/forum/long-...lp-please.html

Old 04-20-2009, 03:01 PM

1,056 posts, read 2,140,804 times
Ive lived in massapequa all my life. if you buy a house here, expect your monthly bill, with mortgage, electric/gas, cable, water and all the other goodies to be something in the range of $3500-4000.

Old 04-20-2009, 03:03 PM

oh, anything south or merrick road in massapequa will require flood insurance, which is about $1100 a year. if you need a great insurance broker in massapequa, let me know. hes been dealing with massapequa residents for over 25 years.

Old 04-20-2009, 03:50 PM

108 posts, read 357,879 times
housing prices are still going down.

Old 04-20-2009, 07:17 PM

20 posts, read 73,510 times
Twingles,

Thanks for the quick reply - how many square feet is your place again? It looks like there was a typo on your post and I want to compare your home to the sizes we are looking at.

Thanks,

Rob

Old 05-04-2009, 02:38 AM

82 posts, read 180,038 times
Default Wait if you Can

Massapequa is one of the last towns to hold on their 2007 prices. Levittown has a realistic market now. Be very carefull,..while a few homes in Massapequa are priced to sell,..most are not. Figure $600 for utilities at most,..$800 for taxes. Good Luck,..it's a great town with great people.

Old 05-04-2009, 04:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepokerdepot View Post
Massapequa is one of the last towns to hold on their 2007 prices. Levittown has a realistic market now. Be very carefull,..while a few homes in Massapequa are priced to sell,..most are not. Figure $600 for utilities at most,..$800 for taxes. Good Luck,..it's a great town with great people.
where are you living????????? $800 for taxes in massapequa?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island