Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2009, 09:13 AM

1,302 posts, read 3,306,468 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
I prefer Sayville/Bohemia to the above.

Parts of Lake Grove and Nesconset are very nice too.

If youre looking for a decent value in Brookhaven play check out Miller Place/Sound Beach/Rocky Point.

Crooks
I would put Nesconset above Bohemia/Sayville, or at least on par with Sayville and ahead of Bohemia. Much of Bohemia feels like a slightly nicer Ronkonkoma along those industrial tracks south of the LIE. IMO. They are all fine areas by the way, with the Ronkonkoma area ranking lowest on the OP's list. I am just not a fan of the flatter south shore areas, aside from some of the really quaint Main Streets that can be found in areas like Sayville. Good luck to the OP in your search.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2009, 07:41 PM

1,214 posts, read 3,643,604 times
A friend of mine lives in Lake Grove where they are in the Three Village district, and that worked out well for her son.

But, besides the regular real estate tax bill, Lake Grove slaps on another tax bill of around $2000/year since it's incorporated.

Old 04-23-2009, 09:03 PM

7,658 posts, read 19,171,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreaII View Post
A friend of mine lives in Lake Grove where they are in the Three Village district, and that worked out well for her son.

But, besides the regular real estate tax bill, Lake Grove slaps on another tax bill of around $2000/year since it's incorporated.

Ouch

I didnt realize any of Lake Grove went to 3V.
I did know a few from Port Jeff.

I never met anyone in school from Lake Grove.

Maybe the lines changed.

Old 04-23-2009, 09:06 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,715,420 times
Could they be in those newer homes on the SW corner on 347 & Nicolls?

Old 04-23-2009, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post

Good point.

and yes...Im old.

Old 04-23-2009, 10:07 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,715,420 times
Quote:
Good point.

and yes...Im old.
And sadly, I'm older

I remember when Nicolls Rd had tops, maybe 3 lights from SUSB to the LIE.

Old 04-24-2009, 04:50 AM

347 posts, read 1,352,193 times
Quote:
Yes, that is very likely - this is the Country Woods development, part of which goes to 3 Village. If they are paying $2000 in village tax, they must be in a newer, bigger home. $2000 is very high for the village - I believe most homeowners pay somewhere around $800. The Country Woods development is extremely expensive and the taxes are outrageous - most pay more than $15,000 per year. The homes are very big but they are very close to 347 - there can be a lot of traffic noise over there. Honestly if I was going to pay $700,000+ for a home and pay $15,000+ in property taxes, I would prefer an older home that is north of 25A.

I believe the only parts of Lake Grove in the 3 Village school district are (roughly) the northern half of Country Woods and the very northern part of the "T-Section" Levitt development (same homes as those north of 347 in Stony Brook). Looking at a Hagstrom map, you can see the school district boundaries cut through this northern part of Lake Grove.

Old 04-24-2009, 06:29 AM

Quote:
And sadly, I'm older

I remember when Nicolls Rd had tops, maybe 3 lights from SUSB to the LIE.

Me too....and I remember the Paint Rock.

Crooks

Old 04-24-2009, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by villager-li View Post
Yes, that is very likely - this is the Country Woods development, part of which goes to 3 Village. If they are paying $2000 in village tax, they must be in a newer, bigger home. $2000 is very high for the village - I believe most homeowners pay somewhere around $800. The Country Woods development is extremely expensive and the taxes are outrageous - most pay more than $15,000 per year. The homes are very big but they are very close to 347 - there can be a lot of traffic noise over there. Honestly if I was going to pay $700,000+ for a home and pay $15,000+ in property taxes, I would prefer an older home that is north of 25A.

I believe the only parts of Lake Grove in the 3 Village school district are (roughly) the northern half of Country Woods and the very northern part of the "T-Section" Levitt development (same homes as those north of 347 in Stony Brook). Looking at a Hagstrom map, you can see the school district boundaries cut through this northern part of Lake Grove.
I always thought the T-section was a myth.
I never met anyone from there in 3V.

So I guess its safe to say that 99% of Lake Grove does not go to 3V, and the part that does needs some Preparation H?

Crooks

Old 04-24-2009, 12:29 PM

347 posts, read 1,352,193 times
Quote:
I always thought the T-section was a myth.
I never met anyone from there in 3V.

So I guess its safe to say that 99% of Lake Grove does not go to 3V, and the part that does needs some Preparation H?

Crooks
Yes, part of the T-section is in 3 Village - the northern part of Lakeside Ave and Twisting Drive, all of Teak Court, and a tiny bit of Tulip Grove Drive. There is a home for sale now on Teak Court and it says 3 Village schools on the MLS. It is a VERY small part though. Their taxes are not that high though. There are a few blocks in Country Woods that are in 3 Village and their taxes are insane. Otherwise, the vast majority of Lake Grove is in Sachem and Middle Country.

These links may be helpful for people:

Rough idea of school district boundaries: http://www.co.suffolk.ny.us/upload/planning/pdfs2/maps/2009_pdf/schools1.pdf (broken link)

Middle Country / 3 Village boundary in Lake Grove: http://factfinder.census.gov/servlet...en&-_longitude=

Last edited by villager-li; 04-24-2009 at 12:42 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island