U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2009, 07:20 PM

2 posts, read 3,799 times

Advertisements

I am looking to relocate to the following areas and seek any input. I heard mix reviews about theese areas.

LAKE GROVE
NESCONCENT
RONKONKOMA, LAKE RONKONKOMA

I looked at Sayville/Bohemia area and really like them, but above are less pricey. I do have TWO SMALL KIDS.

THANKS
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2009, 08:48 PM

7,658 posts, read 17,361,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJK427 View Post
I am looking to relocate to the following areas and seek any input. I heard mix reviews about theese areas.

LAKE GROVE
NESCONCENT
RONKONKOMA, LAKE RONKONKOMA

I looked at Sayville/Bohemia area and really like them, but above are less pricey. I do have TWO SMALL KIDS.

THANKS
I prefer Sayville/Bohemia to the above.

Parts of Lake Grove and Nesconset are very nice too.

If youre looking for a decent value in Brookhaven play check out Miller Place/Sound Beach/Rocky Point.

Crooks

Old 04-22-2009, 09:28 AM

347 posts, read 1,233,761 times
I live in Lake Grove and can answer any questions you have. I recommend Lake Grove over Ronkonkoma/Lake Ronkonkoma as I think it is a bit nicer here overall. With that said, the Ronkonkomas also have some nice developments. Nesconset is quite nice and is generally more expensive than Lake Grove with higher property taxes. Most of Nesconset is in Smithtown schools which are highly regarded.

Lake Grove has a lot of diversity in housing - you have houses from under 300k to over 700k. I would recommend you stick with the developments. The non-development areas are not particularly nice. The village services are quite good - garbage collection, snow removal, special events, parks, etc. are run very well. The village has been really trying to improve building standards which you can see by the new Hess gas station, 7-Eleven, and TD Bank. There is a lot of traffic in Lake Grove though, so you need to be prepared for it. With that said, quite possibly every type of store or restaurant is within a stone's throw and it's super-convenient. It's also a 10 minute drive to the Ronkonkoma train station.

There are 3 school districts serving Lake Grove, with the majority of the village going to Sachem and Middle Country. A very tiny part goes to Three Village. My kids are not old enough yet for school so I do not have direct experience with them but Sachem has a better reputation than Middle Country, along with better test scores on average. I live in the Middle Country portion. Both districts are very large and encompass a number of different towns. I am considering sending my kids to catholic school. One benefit of living on the Middle Country side however is being able to go to the outstanding library in Centereach, which is ranked as one of the best on Long Island. With that said, it would probably be better to focus on the Sachem side of town if you were considering moving here.

Also note that not all of the Lake Grove zip code is actually in the village of Lake Grove, so just be mindful of that if you are looking to be in the village. Any other questions, please let me know.

Old 04-22-2009, 10:20 AM

12,210 posts, read 14,687,826 times
There are variables here.

First, as always on LI, is school district. The areas you mentioned are located largely in the following school districts:

Three Village
Smithtown
Connetquot
Sachem
Middle Country.

The districts are preferable in that order.

Parts of Ronkonkoma that are served by Sachem and Connetquot districts are more run down looking than parts of Lake Grove that serve Middle Country School district, but I wouldn't buy a house in MC district because I wouldn't want my son to go there..it's not East New York, but it's not ideal either.

So, in looking for a house, pick a preferable school district, than find a house on a block you like. If you go house first, block, than school district, then you have different priorities than me! But, to each their own.

Old 04-22-2009, 05:57 PM

4 posts, read 21,422 times
sayville is a great place for families... i grew up there and it's a wonderful area. not too pricey IMO after moving to the hamptons and realizing how expensive houses can really get. i miss the area actually!

Old 04-22-2009, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
There are variables here.

First, as always on LI, is school district. The areas you mentioned are located largely in the following school districts:

Three Village
Smithtown
Connetquot
Sachem
Middle Country.

The districts are preferable in that order.

Parts of Ronkonkoma that are served by Sachem and Connetquot districts are more run down looking than parts of Lake Grove that serve Middle Country School district, but I wouldn't buy a house in MC district because I wouldn't want my son to go there..it's not East New York, but it's not ideal either.

So, in looking for a house, pick a preferable school district, than find a house on a block you like. If you go house first, block, than school district, then you have different priorities than me! But, to each their own.

To my knowledge none of those towns are in 3V but #2-4 are correct.

With 3V out, if it wasnt Smithtown Schools, I'd head Northeast for Miller Place/Rocky Point/SWR or if youre into McMansions and have the coin for the taxes, Mt Sinai.

Crooks

Last edited by Crookhaven; 04-22-2009 at 07:28 PM..

Old 04-23-2009, 03:59 AM

2,257 posts, read 3,444,269 times
how about Centere err i mean S.Setauket. Nice area, decent price, and 3v school district.

Old 04-23-2009, 04:17 AM

342 posts, read 985,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
or if youre into McMansions and have the coin for the taxes, Mt Sinai.

Crooks
Now Crooks - be nice - there are alot of homes available in Mt.Sinai that no where meet the "McMansion" definition. In fact, two are for sale in the neighboorhood behind mine for under 400K - very nice 4 br 2.5 bath. Taxes are only very high on the McMansions - it seems like there are several tax scales around here depending on when the house was built.

Old 04-23-2009, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flowergarden View Post
Now Crooks - be nice - there are alot of homes available in Mt.Sinai that no where meet the "McMansion" definition. In fact, two are for sale in the neighboorhood behind mine for under 400K - very nice 4 br 2.5 bath. Taxes are only very high on the McMansions - it seems like there are several tax scales around here depending on when the house was built.

Theres some starter mix around but they are few and far between

The taxes are fugly in Mt Sinai due to the McMansions and lack of commercial ratables.The schools are all on the back of the taxpayer.

The good news it that they are very good.

Nice area but painful.

Crooks

Old 04-23-2009, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzook View Post
how about Centere err i mean S.Setauket. Nice area, decent price, and 3v school district.

3V Schools are great

Welcome to Centereach
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island